Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 1:41:32 AM EDT
Without knowing I dry fired a few times upon initial inspection. How would I know if I broke the firing pin, outside of shooting it. With the slide back, pressing the pin where the hammer strikes, it pops right out like it should? Is that a sign it's fine?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Cock it, insert empty mag, drop a #2 pencil with a eraser on it down the barrel, point it to the ceiling and pull the trigger. If the pencil goes out the muzzle it's good to go as far as seeing if it's broke..
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Launches it at a 45 degree. Straight up it doesn't totally clear, but it's a new unsharpened pencil so it's long. I'm gonna say its good. Good intel btw.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, that works. I learned the "pencil test" from my ownership of a CZ-52; that's something you want to do with them as the decocker can wear and turn into a second trigger on those.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Without knowing I dry fired a few times upon initial inspection. How would I know if I broke the firing pin, outside of shooting it. With the slide back, pressing the pin where the hammer strikes, it pops right out like it should? Is that a sign it's fine?
View Quote

With mine it was the 1/8" piece of firing pin that came out of the barrel when I dry fired it. That was after a few hundred dry fires.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotcha. Well its putting the pencil moving, and it looks to be extruding regularly when I manually push the pin.  I'm just a big scaredy cat when it comes to screwing up my guns.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]
When I used to go to gun shows I'd always carry a #2 pencil with me to test with. I've discovered more than a few broken FPs that way.

I've seen some guns that launch them into orbit so use a unsharpened one.

BTW....A good way to test used shotgun FPs is to use a old shotgun magazine plug. Drop it down the barrel "big end" first.

I use one of the green Remington plastic magazine plugs. The end is close enough to the size of a shell head that you get a FP strike on it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Numrich is out of the pins, and I'd like to have a backup on hand for the future. Am I too late to the party or are there any sites that have some in stock?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top