Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 5:52:04 PM EDT
anyone ever blue a mosin bolt or know a company that does a good job on them? I've got the original bolt for my m39 i am keeping as it but i thought it would be fun to have a blued bent one, i like the look. any recommendation is welcome.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#1]
....why...

IMHO if you want a blued bolt that is turned down - buy a 98k
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Then go for it. I don't see anything fun about it myself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
....why...

IMHO if you want a blued bolt that is turned down - buy a 98k
View Quote

oh, you have a 98k in 7.62x54r? if i wanted a 98k i would buy a 98k.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Then go for it. I don't see anything fun about it myself.
View Quote

i like the look, whats the harm in that? i just want to know if it is very doable or if the metal won't take well to it or if it will simply wear off incredibly fast. i was thinking we were allowed to ask questions on this forum, maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Just remember, if you do it you're ruining the historic and re-sale value of that gun. Unless it's already been butchered, then it doesn't really matter.
You'll have to get a new bolt handle welded on and cut the old one off. The one on the bolt now is too short. You can however buy "sniper" repro bolt bodies, and swap the parts. That way you wouldn't be permanently altering the rifle. That's the way I'd go.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Cmmon folks, the average Mosin costs about 140 bucks.  If sometime in the future the price doubles, wow, it's almost 300 bucks!

You'll find with C&R, no matter how beat up/cheap the item is, someones is going to worry about it "losing it's collector's value".

I even had some people telling me no to install a Promag stock on one, for fear of (somehow) it losing it's collector's value, which for a screwdriver replaceable stock seems puzzeling.

To the techincal question, the bolt I belive is chromed, so I don't think normal blueing would do the trick.  How about a home expoxy kit for guns?  Or have a smith do it for 50 bucks or so, they should have better gear than the air canister spray bottles for a home kit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cmmon folks, the average Mosin costs about 140 bucks.  If sometime in the future the price doubles, wow, it's almost 300 bucks!

You'll find with C&R, no matter how beat up/cheap the item is, someones is going to worry about it "losing it's collector's value".

I even had some people telling me no to install a Promag stock on one, for fear of (somehow) it losing it's collector's value, which for a screwdriver replaceable stock seems puzzeling.

To the techincal question, the bolt I belive is chromed, so I don't think normal blueing would do the trick.  How about a home expoxy kit for guns?  Or have a smith do it for 50 bucks or so, they should have better gear than the air canister spray bottles for a home kit.
View Quote

He's specifically talking about an M39, which is no $140 91/30 refurb, if you read the OP.

OP, there should be no problem bluing a Mosin bolt, I have seen a handful before - even some that come occasionally on 91/30s. TGI had some on GB a few years ago fresh from the crate. Of course, being a bolt, the bluing will wear with use, but you could always touch up as needed.

If you go this route, however, I would get a newly made repro sniper bolt handle and body, and then spare surplus parts (bolt head, etc) to build a complete new bolt assembly to blue (which sounds like what your plan is already). That way the change is non-permanent. Will definitely improve the ergos.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is why there are so many bubba'ed 1903's, P17's etc, because back in the day they were chep. Most collectors these dyas are trying to prevent the same things happening now that happened then.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is why there are so many bubba'ed 1903's, P17's etc, because back in the day they were chep. Most collectors these dyas are trying to prevent the same things happening now that happened then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, this

We are trying to prevent past mistakes by learning from them. (anyone remember when 98ks were a dime a dozen.. look again now..)
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1, this

We are trying to prevent past mistakes by learning from them. (anyone remember when 98ks were a dime a dozen.. look again now..)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, this

+2

It never ceases to amaze me that people post in a C&R forum with the 'who gives a shit, it's just an old gun' attitude. Some much derp.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
There are mosins selling every month that go for over $1000. One just sold for $4500 and a the other month one sold for $12,500. All of these were cheap $40 rifles back in the early 90's Lucky for the sellers they didn't cut and hack up those cheap guns because they sure wouldn't have been worth what they eventually sold for.

OP, if you want to mess with the bolt, buy a spare and keep the original in its original condition.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
after re-reading thats his plan. But a m39 with a blued turn down bolt looks wrong to me on so many levels. But to each their own.. its your rifle op.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Its easy to do. And removeable.
This is a force-matched 1943 91/30. I have 3 other 1943 91/30s. Bore is great stock was bad.

" />" />" />
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was working at an importer, we got in crates of 91/30's That had blued bolts. The slings in the crates were black webbing instead of the normal green webbing.
The bluing was a very deep blue. Was a nice touch actually.  All 20 rifles in the crate had the blued bolts. I think we got in 4 or5 crates that shipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top