Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 7:36:33 PM EDT
A guy in his 80s traded me this 1948 9mm Largo Star Super. It also came with a 9mm Para barrel, cleaning rod, extra mag, box, paperwork.

He said he bought it from Interarms in the late 80s early 90s and never shot it.

It's a former Spanish military gun as the proofs dictate.

The only question I have is the E.T. 2945 marking. Anyone know what it is? It's not the serial number.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
ET 2945 is the Spanish army property number that was used for recording handguns.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ET 2945 is the Spanish army property number that was used for recording handguns.
View Quote

Then perhaps it became the serial number of record when it passed into military hands. The barrel and the slide is also stamped 2945 with the mags EPed to match.

The odd thing is the 9mm Para barrel is neither proofed or stamped 9mm/P. I installed it and it works just fine, no different from my Star B Super in 9mm/P.

I'm just wondering if Interarms  had extra 9mm/P barrels made. They often did that type of thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice...  I've got a Star just like that one except I don't have the 9x19 barrel.  I like the 9mm Largo cartridge.  Just don't shoot .38 Super in it...  but I'm sure you already know that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice...  I've got a Star just like that one except I don't have the 9x19 barrel.  I like the 9mm Largo cartridge.  Just don't shoot .38 Super in it...  but I'm sure you already know that.
View Quote

I picked up another 200 rounds of Largo yesterday after I traded for the pistol.

The guy that traded me asked me a odd question. We both knew not to shoot .38 Super out of the vintage Stars but he asked me if it would be OK to shoot 9mm Largo in a .38 Super. I told him I had no idea.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
9mm Largo in a .38 Super is one of those things that I say not to do.

But, I bet any consequences would be minor.  The rim is smaller, so you might experience extractor failures, maybe.

Now, don't rush out and try this.  I don't know what will happen.  I expect a loud bang, followed by another loud bang if you pull the trigger again.

I have a 9mm Largo Astra M400, and a .38 Super, and a 9x23mm Winchester.  I am very particular about which round gets chambered in which gun.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I pretty much agree with grendelbane...  While I don't think you'll hurt a .38 Super pistol shooting 9mm Largo in it...  I wouldn't just because 9mm Largo is harder to get being an obsolete cartridge which is rarely found in new commercial production.  .38 Super isn't common either, but it is a regularly produced and stocked cartridge due to there still being new .38 Super pistols being made.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been thinking about getting one of these for years, just have not found the right one yet. That's a good one there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought the same gun in the same box about the same time(late 80's to early 90's with a regular FFL) and didn't get the 9mm barrel. It's sitting in the safe with the Astra  in 9mm Largo and both are unfired by me. Both in similar boxes. Got a case or so of CCI ammo and a few boxes of corrosive surplus.
Keep your eyes open for that CCI ammo, It's in white boxes with black print.
The 9mm Largo round is supposed to be the most powerful ever put in a blowback operated pistol like the Astra. When you pull the slide you'll understand what I mean!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought the same gun in the same box about the same time(late 80's to early 90's with a regular FFL) and didn't get the 9mm barrel. It's sitting in the safe with the Astra  in 9mm Largo and both are unfired by me. Both in similar boxes. Got a case or so of CCI ammo and a few boxes of corrosive surplus.
Keep your eyes open for that CCI ammo, It's in white boxes with black print.
The 9mm Largo round is supposed to be the most powerful ever put in a blowback operated pistol like the Astra. When you pull the slide you'll understand what I mean!  
View Quote

I have a Astra 400 too....I know what you mean.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Love my Star 9mm largo.
Picked it up off an ex cop for $100
included 700+ Blazer manufacture mostly hollow points
bought 1000 rounds in a sealed can from preppernaut on gunbroker and they misfire A LOT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top