Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 8:27:49 AM EDT
why do you guys and gals love C&R firearms?

for me, i love these tools that helped shape the world over the years, the beauty of the iron and wood, the craftsmanship, the design.

nowadays everything is too tactical.

i love lock, stock, and barrel
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
cheap, sexy bang bang.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Machined steel and mostly qualify hardwood.  Dripping with cosmo and history.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#3]
The bumps and bruises. The character. The soul!

Not to mention how fascinating the history behind them all is. Add the craftsmanship and it's a total package of delight for the senses.

Last, but not least, I'm addicted to sniffing cosmoline!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Likelyhood of the gun participating in one of the most significant events in history in the past (ww1 or ww2).

Guns also appreciate pretty decently as an investment. Even more signficant if you can get a deal on em.

Overall though, the history aspect is hard to beat!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The big thing for me is the history they have. Where they've been, what they've done. I wish they could talk.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
For me

1. History

2. Old school way of doing things.. the way things were polish, milled.. all done mostly by hand.. i appreciate this.

3. Did i mention history..

4. Wood, blued steel, i am a SUCKER for wood.

Example

This gives me fuzzies -

This gives me - meh

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The big thing for me is the history they have. Where they've been, what they've done. I wish they could talk.
View Quote
Same for me.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
It's one of the few historical relics that you can still take out and use without destroying its value.  Actually taking out c&r rifle and blasting away lets you carry and use the actual item that shaped world history the same way its original issuee would have.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I like getting them delivered directly to my home.  The ones I like the most are unissued or near excellent condition.  Old war horses just don't do anything for me.  Heresy, I know.  Adding ... What I used to like best was shooting cheap surplus ammo, but that's mostly a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Shipped to my door without the middleman, and I love old steel and wood.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty cool to own a weapon that fired shots in anger, or may have saved some old soldier's life on a forgotten battlefield.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For me

1. History

2. Old school way of doing things.. the way things were polish, milled.. all done mostly by hand.. i appreciate this.

3. Did i mention history..

4. Wood, blued steel, i am a SUCKER for wood.

Example

This gives me fuzzies -

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5586/14806233580_4452c654f9_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3841/14989788701_4de6fa22c9_b.jpg

This gives me - meh

http://www.mwgco.com/images09/tapco/Tapco_Intrafuse_SKS_Rifle_Stock_Bayonet-DE.jpg
View Quote

Gee, how did I know that already? Love the shading on the bayo of the Ruskie SKS. Almost looks olive drab and just "fits" on that rifle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]
For the history and the steel/wood construction.  Also love bayonets and the good ones are all from the C&R rifles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the history and the character.  Plus, in my opinion, these old guns were built and designed for war.  I wish all mine could talk.  I'd love to know how my Type 99 or Type 38 carbine Arisaka's made it stateside, and if they saw any action.  If so, in what battle?  Def. a lot of history there.  And I wish my 1955 SA M1 could tell me where it went after it left the factory...I found a bunch of dirt under the buttplate, but from where?  Did one of our folks carry it in Vietnam?  Also, my 1972 Yugo SKS M59/66.  Was it used in the Balkans in the 90s?  Did it see use at a massacre, or did it save someone's life?  And my Chinese T53...WTF has this thing been through?  And my most recent purchase, a 1943 Enfiled No4 Mk1...did it storm a beach on D-Day?  Did it travel through Europe?  Maybe it later found its way to Afghanistan?  

Usually, the combination of holding vintage machined metal set in a tough wood stock with its fair share of dents and dings is enough to get my thoughts going.  These guns are mass-produced history makers that could have been there and seen the history they are associated with.  I am completely fascinated with imagining how this rifle I now own made its way from a military arsenal new in the crate to me, some 50+ years later.  There's more meaning in that to me than any mass-produced modern rifle whose only history was being made then shipped to the store where I got it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Fine craftsmanship even on the lower end guns. C&Rs are not just about mil-surps to me.

Add to that it's quality most folks with a job can afford.

Lots of quality C&R weapons go for cheap if you know where to look. The fun is in the hunt for me.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#17]
1.pick up any modern firearm then pick up any pre1940 firearm nuff' said

2.I like the older stuff especially 1880-1940 to hold rifles that were around when the world was still wild and full of adventure

3.the history

4. the tech side trying to find that perfect piece
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Cosmoline!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cosmoline!
View Quote

That is what my closet smells like. Good thing I am not married.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#20]
History.

After receiving the rifle, taking it apart to inspect and then researching all the marks and stamps that tell of what the rifle has been through. Finding out what that story is, is half the enjoyment I get from these rifles.

We will never know exactly what the men who carried these rifles went through, but we can at the very minimum honor whet they did by preserving the tools they used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top