Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 7:30:16 PM EDT
http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/a-new-us-military-handgun-the-modular-handgun-system

If the military is on the hunt for a new sidearm, I wonder if the M9 would make it's way onto the c&r list. Its a way to generate capital much quicker...cut out the middle man. Probably, wouldn't though because of the hi-cap magazine and modern construction.  A man can dream though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/a-new-us-military-handgun-the-modular-handgun-system

If the military is on the hunt for a new sidearm, I wonder if the M9 would make it's way onto the c&r list. Its a way to generate capital much quicker...cut out the middle man. Probably, wouldn't though because of the hi-cap magazine and modern construction.  A man can dream though.
View Quote

Dream on.
USGI firearms that are surplused have been destroyed for a number of years.
CMP is not allowed to sell handguns.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You wouldn't want a used M9. They are so beat to up it's not funny. Every M9 I've been issued has rattled. Even though they have less rounds through them than my personal 92FS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
1911s aren't being sold to the public, even through theCMP.

M9s will be stockpiled, given to NG units for decades, and will be DRMOed to PDs just like 1911s have been.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The Gov does not surplus firearms anymore.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Gov does not surplus firearms anymore.  
View Quote

this with the communist in office it will not change
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd buy two.

It'll never happen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#7]
As with the rest of you guys I see no chance .
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#8]
The ones not dispersed to Guard/Reserve/Law enforcement will be sent to the shredder.

A good place for the M9 as far as I'm concerned.

It's adoption was a mystery to me then, and remains so now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The ones not dispersed to Guard/Reserve/Law enforcement will be sent to the shredder.

A good place for the M9 as far as I'm concerned.

It's adoption was a mystery to me then, and remains so now.
View Quote

There's no mystery.    The decision making process used by the military is not the same as the decision making process of individual gun buyers.  The M9 was the least expensive handgun to meet minimum requirements, and Beretta built a factory in the US to make and service it.  It wasn't the best handgun, same as how the M4 is not the best carbine.  And at this point there is a lot to overcome to switching to something else.  Again, the decision for the military to switch to something else is a different type of decision than we would make.  They have 100s of 1000s of guns already, if not 1Ms.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#10]
The M9 isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Both the Army and Marines have bought tens of thousands of new M9s and M9A1s in the past several years
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
There's one way a few M9's might get into the civilian market.

In all the sudden interest in the government giving the local police departments arms, I was surprised to find they're giving out 1911 .45 automatics.
Also listed were 9mm pistols, which almost certainly means the M9.

Over the years, some departments have sold some of the guns given to them, including some M14 rifles showing up as sold to civilians.
It's possible some departments might sell some M9's they no longer want.

Apparently the government hasn't been too interested in equipment they gave to the police being disposed to civilians.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's one way a few M9's might get into the civilian market.

In all the sudden interest in the government giving the local police departments arms, I was surprised to find they're giving out 1911 .45 automatics.
Also listed were 9mm pistols, which almost certainly means the M9.

Over the years, some departments have sold some of the guns given to them, including some M14 rifles showing up as sold to civilians.
It's possible some departments might sell some M9's they no longer want.

Apparently the government hasn't been too interested in equipment they gave to the police being disposed to civilians.

View Quote

DRMO just finished auditing their PD loans because PDs were losing/selling their stuff. DRMO weapons and equipment can only go back to the DOD.

Just because PDs don't know the law doesnt make it a orect way of doing business. When DRMO starts up their LEA program back up I can only guess the type of restrictions that will be in place because of this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top