Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 6:42:58 PM EDT
My dad went to one of the LGS an they had 4 m1 garands an he said two were springfields an the other 2 were smith an corona. I have done some research of garands and am waiting on one from the cmp but i have never heard of this manufacturer an did some googling an didnt find anything so what are these rifles an are they rare or very collectible? The price was 800$ for each one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Um, no.

Smith Corona did make M1903A3 rifles for the US Army during WWII, but never M1 Garands.  The only 4 legitimate manufacturers of M1 Garands for the US Government were Springfield Armory, Winchester, Harrington and Richardson, and International Harvester.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#2]
If you a really lucky (not) you may run across a Garand that has been "fitted" with a 1903 barrel. When Garand parts were hard to get, some folks cut up surplus 1903 rifle barrels to fit onto the Garand.

So, I guess you could get a "Smith Corona Garand"

But as the previous poster said, only 4 companies made USGI Garands, look at the receiver heel by the serial number. Springfield Armory, Winchester for WWII. Springfield Armory, Harrington & Richardson, International Harvester after WWII.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure it wasn't a Santa Fe Garand?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are interested make sure it isn't a reweld.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you a really lucky (not) you may run across a Garand that has been "fitted" with a 1903 barrel. When Garand parts were hard to get, some folks cut up surplus 1903 rifle barrels to fit onto the Garand.

So, I guess you could get a "Smith Corona Garand"

But as the previous poster said, only 4 companies made USGI Garands, look at the receiver heel by the serial number. Springfield Armory, Winchester for WWII. Springfield Armory, Harrington & Richardson, International Harvester after WWII.
View Quote

this,

the ones I have seen have a noticeable sleeve at the rear or breech end of the barrel, (often an original garand barrel bored out to take a trimmed down 03 barrel)
and cut to the proper length, and splines cut to fit the gas cyl,

shot well too,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top