Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 2:51:32 PM EDT
Found this by chance while out of town and surfing the local gun classifieds. Appears unfired since it's rearsenal. All numbers matching.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
No magazine?  Repos are expensive. Originals are very expensive.

Cool to come across though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
What did it set you back if you don't mind me asking? That's a nice find.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
every collection should have one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Got it for $750. Repro mag was 55 shipped
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I paid 800? maybe 900 for one with an original mag a year ago, and I thought I did good considering the outrageous amount people are asking for them nowadays. but, these use to be at the shows all the time, good luck finding one lately... supply and demand. you got a great price, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I paid 800? maybe 900 for one with an original mag a year ago, and I thought I did good considering the outrageous amount people are asking for them nowadays. but, these use to be at the shows all the time, good luck finding one lately... supply and demand. you got a great price, in my opinion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear. I felt like I needed to pounce now with how they've shot up in price per the blue book. I understand the repro mags need a bit of fitting, but at $55 that's an acceptable amount of elbow grease considering originals are insanely high priced.  Guy wanted $800 and I bargained based on the repro mag price. Regardless, glad it found one and at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a mag but no rifle.....

Someday one will fall my way at a yard sale, flea market, or pawn shop for a half-way reasonable price.

IMHO it's simply not a $900.00 + rifle....At least in refurb trim.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice find
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a mag but no rifle.....

Someday one will fall my way at a yard sale, flea market, or pawn shop for a half-way reasonable price.

IMHO it's simply not a $900.00 + rifle....At least in refurb trim.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#10]
The bluebook would disagree with that humble opinion.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#11]
The problem with SVT 40s in this country is a normal refurb is 200-300 anywhere else (here is looking at you Canada). But due to them being banned from import they jump to usually 900+.

If they ever unban them.. the prices will tumble.

Its a reason if i ever decided to pick one up it would have to be unrefurbished or FInnish acquired.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#12]
When we went to look at a bunch of 91/30's years ago when I was working at an importer, we saw a huge cache of SVT40's we could only lust after in the Ukraine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The bluebook would disagree with that humble opinion.
View Quote

The bluebook can be full of crap when it comes to mil-surps too. IMHO the Bluebook is the very worst place to go for mil-surp prices.

Just FTF is a 80% K98? 80% of what? Finish, matching numbers, rarity?

Look up a 90% Enfield #2 MK 1 or MK 1* revolver in the Bluebook and see how retarded the prices are. No way they reflect market value.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#14]
they are awesome rifles, keep it clean!

factory mags up here are about $200...  repros are south of $100

they sell for like $300CDN up here, why are they so pricey down there?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Banned from import
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Banned from import
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Banned from import

They are Russian Not Chinese, how can they be banned and VEPR et al are allowed in? I thought only Chinese firearms were banned from inportation into the USofA
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They are Russian Not Chinese, how can they be banned and VEPR et al are allowed in? I thought only Chinese firearms were banned from inportation into the USofA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Banned from import

SKS, TTC, SVT 40 are all banned to name a few... been banned since the 1990s..  Known as the infamous "gentlemans agreement" with russia. Has nothing to do with the recent sancations.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]

I hate to be a spoil sport, but I have an SVT-40 and I hate it.  I spent 300 bucks on it and if I could find a sucker to buy it from me, I would sell it in a heartbeat.  I would even trade it for an Italian Carcano.

The rifle is impossible to field strip even in my warm house--let alone in sub freezing conditions.  Worst rifle ever.  Buy something else and save your money
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I hate to be a spoil sport, but I have an SVT-40 and I hate it.  I spent 300 bucks on it and if I could find a sucker to buy it from me, I would sell it in a heartbeat.  I would even trade it for an Italian Carcano.

The rifle is impossible to field strip even in my warm house--let alone in sub freezing conditions.  Worst rifle ever.  Buy something else and save your money
View Quote

Man I would happily give 3 bills for it if I could get it across the border.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and me both.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You and me both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and me both.

It is the biggest disappointment of my collecting career.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s641.photobucket.com/user/Fluffy9lives/media/1a7661b5-8d96-495d-b1ab-a0adba19467e_zps53ad5f65.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu138/Fluffy9lives/1a7661b5-8d96-495d-b1ab-a0adba19467e_zps53ad5f65.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and me both.

<a href="http://s641.photobucket.com/user/Fluffy9lives/media/1a7661b5-8d96-495d-b1ab-a0adba19467e_zps53ad5f65.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu138/Fluffy9lives/1a7661b5-8d96-495d-b1ab-a0adba19467e_zps53ad5f65.jpg</a>

nice stock on yours. mine have swivels instead of the brass insert. I think one is an AVT stock.

Canadian designed semi autos are better
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Mine has the Naval Infantry stock which I understand is rare.  It is also supposedly a rare SVT--It is a 1941 Kovrov Arsenal variation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mine has the Naval Infantry stock which I understand is rare.  It is also supposedly a rare SVT--It is a 1941 Kovrov Arsenal variation.
View Quote

Yes, your Kovrov would bring a nice chunk of change here in the US. Is it all Kovrov parts, or a mixture of Tula and Izhevsk as well?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#25]
If these Canadians want to keep rubbing this in our noses, they should get the ban hammer !

Oh wait, we get to have "high" capacity magazines
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#26]
and aks /ars
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought one twenty two years ago when they were about $250 each.  

Pickup pentagon gas adjusting too.

Learn how to take down properly.  It is very difficult.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

In a -40 degree winter day it is actually impossible.  And you have to take it down and clean it when using corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, your Kovrov would bring a nice chunk of change here in the US. Is it all Kovrov parts, or a mixture of Tula and Izhevsk as well?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure.  I will take it out and have a look soon.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly I find takedown to be on par with any other rifle. A few vids on YouTube to get a best practice and I had no problems. I've done it twice today.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:02:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not the biggest fan of the SVT, but, as Byzantine as its field stripping procedure is, it's not that difficult to disassemble.

A note on the replacement magazines: They will require fitting, particularly filing on the bottom of the rear lug and the top of the front lug over which the cartridges pass. Take about fifteen minutes to fit and test, and the one I did worked as well as the original, which to say without issue.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm not the biggest fan of the SVT, but, as Byzantine as its field stripping procedure is, it's not that difficult to disassemble.

A note on the replacement magazines: They will require fitting, particularly filing on the bottom of the rear lug and the top of the front lug over which the cartridges pass. Take about fifteen minutes to fit and test, and the one I did worked as well as the original, which to say without issue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great info. Mine should arrive monday. Did you use sandpaper or a file?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#33]
File for most of the material removal and some sandpaper to smooth it out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought one back in the 1990's when they were cheap. Never could get it to cycle, sold it, wish I still had it(along with all the other guns I have sold off)!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Repro mag locked in, but too tight. Now the mag release released the back of the mag but I can't get the front out. As if there's not enough clearance. Oh well, these aren't made for quick mag changes. I'm sure a rubber mallet will do the trick on the next field strip.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I bought one back in the 1990's when they were cheap. Never could get it to cycle, sold it, wish I still had it(along with all the other guns I have sold off)!
View Quote

Did you adjust the gas port?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Repro mag locked in, but too tight. Now the mag release released the back of the mag but I can't get the front out. As if there's not enough clearance. Oh well, these aren't made for quick mag changes. I'm sure a rubber mallet will do the trick on the next field strip.
View Quote

Just load from the top with Mosin stripper clips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top