Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 6:23:11 PM EDT
Recently acquired.  Gunsmith is currently trying to salvage the firearms, but I need help identifying the characters engraved in the butt-stock of the Rolling Block.  Currently we have not been able to identify the age or caliber of the Rolling Block.  Any help is appreciated.  I have checked with a native Chinese person and someone familiar with Vietnamese and neither came up with anything helpful.  The character picture is upside down...sorry

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/Snowballis1coolcat/20140731_1506261_zps72d58ae7.jpghttp://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/Snowballis1coolcat/20140731_1454591_zpsbbd8dbb0.jpg
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
could be greek.
whats up with the sks next to it, more details please on both.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Not Greek. Look hand-carved.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]
dupe
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Almost looks like a Patriarchal cross.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Um... could it not just be "T E"? Simplest explanation and all...
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Templer cross Masonic
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think it is Masonic
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I have considered that it may have been initials, as I have seen on many of these rifles, but I wanted to throw it out to my internet connections for assist.  
The SKS next to it is Russian made with Chinese markings.  It was a battlefield bring back from Vietnam.  My father in law recently gave it to me.  It is in being cleaned up and tested for safety at my local gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Ouch, were these rifles stored in an attic or something?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not Greek. Look hand-carved.
View Quote

hand craved, you don't say? Greeks don't wood carve?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
hand craved, you don't say? Greeks don't wood carve?
View Quote

Two separate statements. 1. Not Greek. 2. Hand carved. No connection between the two.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got more information on the SKS.  It was taken off an unfortunate VC by my fortunate father-in-law in the Spring of 1969.  When it gets re-done I will put it up for AR15 viewing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]
is there any paper work to go with it? Im not calling your F-I-L out but without paperwork its just another  sks with rust.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
is there any paper work to go with it? Im not calling your F-I-L out but without paperwork its just another  sks with rust.
View Quote

Adding that second sentence there sounds like you are calling the FIL out. First would have been enough.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
is there any paper work to go with it? Im not calling your F-I-L out but without paperwork its just another  sks with rust bringback without paperwork.
View Quote

Fixed that for ya.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Stories are stories, paperwork makes it legit. I have the mosin that killed the czar. Can I prove it no.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]
No paperwork that I know of.  Did not ask Don't care. Judging by the way the F-I-L "took care" of these rifles I highly doubt it.  I am restoring it for family reasons.  Even with paperwork it is still only worth a few hundred bucks and since I am not selling..........  Only reason I even mentioned it is another fella asked.  I will clean it up and shoot the crap outta it and pass it on to my daughters when I get too old to use it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:07:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Can't say about the carvings but have you figured out which type of Rolling Block you have? That's what is of interest to me. This site will give you a starting point.

http://www.rollingblockparts.com/modelsparts.html

Most encountered in military trim are the Spanish Oviedo contract model in .43 Spanish as there were a boat load of them imported. Swedish, and Danish RBs are around too.

That said some were used in a martial role here in the US and were often bought by state militias after the Civil War. Some (1871 Springfield) even saw US service and are quite valuable.

Here is one that I have that was converted from a 1863 Springfield musket chambered in .58 US Musket.

Others musket conversions can be found with relined barrels in .50-70 like the New York State militia RBs.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]
You need to show GOOD photos of the whole rifle. From the front sight down to the barrel bands and handguard, if any. It looks like a straight 1867 model with the original sliding extractor. Provide decent photos if you want help.

Dutch
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#20]
From the rear sight and overall size compared to the SKS it looks like a 7mm Mauser rolling block.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I have not determined the type as of yet.  I know that it is a center fire and has what looks like a .30 cal. barrel.   I left it in the care of a gunsmith friend of mine, as I am currently unable to work on stuff due to bicep surgery.  I have asked him to carefully pull it apart and look for identifying marks, and as you can see they have not been taken care of prior to coming to live with me..  When I can get better pics I will post with questions and ask for help/confirmation the model and caliber.  Originally, I was looking for information on the engraving, and I have accepted that it likely is the initials of a previous owner.  I do appreciate all interest and will try to hurry the gunsmith, but that never works...... Will post more when I can...
Isurelluc- nice looking rifle. Is it a shooter?  Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Interesting. I have a Remington rolling block that I bought in an online auction that was advertised as a .45-70. Pictures indicated it being in beautiful condition. It turned out to be .43 Spanish. It also has initials carved in the buttstock but not as big and not as deep as the OP's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have not determined the type as of yet.  I know that it is a center fire and has what looks like a .30 cal. barrel.   I left it in the care of a gunsmith friend of mine, as I am currently unable to work on stuff due to bicep surgery.  I have asked him to carefully pull it apart and look for identifying marks, and as you can see they have not been taken care of prior to coming to live with me..  When I can get better pics I will post with questions and ask for help/confirmation the model and caliber.  Originally, I was looking for information on the engraving, and I have accepted that it likely is the initials of a previous owner.  I do appreciate all interest and will try to hurry the gunsmith, but that never works...... Will post more when I can...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, I had a Smith make me some cases out of .577 Snyder brass. Trimmed down 24 ga shot-shells work too.

Quoted:
Interesting. I have a Remington rolling block that I bought in an online auction that was advertised as a .45-70. Pictures indicated it being in beautiful condition. It turned out to be .43 Spanish. It also has initials carved in the buttstock but not as big and not as deep as the OP's.

Buffalo Arms sells loaded BP .43 Spanish ammo.

Track of the Wolf sells everything you need to load for it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top