Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 3:33:49 AM EDT
Just wondering what the price is for one of these with matching numbers and good bore would be.  Not sure if all small non numbered parts have the E or a mix of other manufacturer parts.  Wood has no cracks but has been "handled" and arsenal repair in upper handguard.  Also has 1913 bayonet that is huge.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:48:23 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as it's not one of the Century Arms rebarreled drill rifles, a decent condition Eddystone P14 with a good bore will likely fetch ~$500.  If the bayonet's in good condition, with no significant rust, pitting, or damage, then that can net you another $80-$100.

The first photo shows an example of a P14 drill rifle.  After being designated drill rifles, they had a hole drilled through the barrel and stock/handguard just forward of the receiver.  Century bought up a bunch of these and rebarreled them back to shooting condition, but didn't replace the stock or handguard.  So they'll have a solid barrel, but the holes in the stock and handguard usually remain, although sometimes people will have the holes patched, as seen in the second photo.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, do not take the seller's word the bore is good. Check it yourself. Many P'14s have horrible bores.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Around here a Service grade DCM gun will run $700+
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's true for the US M1917s in .30-06, which were available in small batches from the DCM/CMP, and which generally go for $500-$700+.  But the predecessor British P14 Enfields in .303 that the OP was asking about were never offered by the DCM/CMP.  And P14s generally don't have as much collector's interest as M1917s, so P14s don't command as high of prices as a result.  $300-$500 is the going rate from what I've seen, similar in price to other British service rifles likes the SMLE and No. 4 Enfields.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, you can get a good (non-redone DP rifle) P'14 for $500 or so. I paid $475 for mine, but it's an early Remington Mk. I and RAF-marked.

ETA: Note that this is for a "Weedon-Standard" rebuild P'14 that has had its volley sights removed. You aren't going to touch a P'14 with the volleys for less than $700.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I see nice ones going $700 - $1000 at shows in the area (md/va/pa)
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's true for the US M1917s in .30-06, which were available in small batches from the DCM/CMP, and which generally go for $500-$700+.  But the predecessor British P14 Enfields in .303 that the OP was asking about were never offered by the DCM/CMP.  And P14s generally don't have as much collector's interest as M1917s, so P14s don't command as high of prices as a result.  $300-$500 is the going rate from what I've seen, similar in price to other British service rifles likes the SMLE and No. 4 Enfields.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup my bad... I read M1917 not 14.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help so far guys.  I'll report back when I know more.  FWIW there was no hole drilled through the stock/handguard, so short of a demil that had a whole new stock put on, it looks promising.  The stock had the front volley disc, but the lever was removed so it must have gone through the weedon rebuild.  Also it is a "fatty" stock with no finger grooves.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I gave $500 for a nice Remington P14,  unmolested except no volley site, a few years ago,

the LGS that had one all looked like they were wore out for the same $$
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The stock had the front volley disc, but the lever was removed so it must have gone through the weedon rebuild.  Also it is a "fatty" stock with no finger grooves.
View Quote

I recently picked up an nice condition Weedon rebuild Eddystone P14 in a "fatboy" stock for $300, which is a little below market value for these.  Especially considering the bore is excellent and the numbers match, which is uncommon on these rifles, many of which saw hard service as training rifles in India and had mismatched parts jumbled together during their life.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#11]
So I grabbed it.  So the stock is a little rough with arsenal repairs on the stock and handguard.  The bore is actually good, not mirror but much better than I thought when the seller describes something as "good".  Most everything is marked E, except the sight blade (marked W).  There does not seem to be a mark on the magazine floorplate, trigger guard, or butt plate, but am not sure if this is normal.  Also no numbers on the stock, unless it is underneath because I haven''t taken the wood off yet. Also I can find no import marks.

As to the bayonet it is marked 1913 3-16 W and in good shape.

Please forgive my awful pictures

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Those sorts of repairs are pretty common on P'14s. Bear in mind that unlike the various Lee-Enfields, the P'14s were made only during WWI, and apart from a small number of replacement stocks, no replacement parts were made for them after the original production run. Thus by the time these reached the end of their service life (generally, the end of WWII), they were being held together with chewing gum and duct tape; repairs generally involved using parts from broken rifles and salvaging everything that could be salvaged.

The bayonet is a Winchester-made Pattern 1913 (the bayonet for the P'14 is the P'13) that was made in March of 1916.

That actually looks like a real nice one. Good score.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice score.  

Winchester Pattern 1913 bayonets are less common than Remington Pattern 1913 bayonets.  Remington produced around 1,243,000 bayonets, while Winchester only produced around 225,000.  And from what I've seen, even though Winchester produced roughly 1/6th of the Pattern 1913 bayonets, Winchester bayonets pop up for sale much less often than than 1 in 6.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#14]
So $375 OTD seems like I got a good deal, not stole but still well less than what its worth?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So $375 OTD seems like I got a good deal, not stole but still well less than what its worth?
View Quote

Yes, it's a good deal.  $375 would have been a good price for the P14 alone.  As it is, you paid about $275 for the rifle itself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#16]
You did good.

Decent ones are very hard to find. The Last big batch that was brought in in the early 90's by Century were Indian training rifles and most were well used with dark bores + they got the Century Gorilla Grade barrel stamp that you can almost read from the inside of bore...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, it's a good deal.  $375 would have been a good price for the P14 alone.  As it is, you paid about $275 for the rifle itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiosity,  what would one of the CAI re-barreled ones go for?  If its something like $200 I may keep my eye out just for a shooter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity,  what would one of the CAI re-barreled ones go for?  If its something like $200 I may keep my eye out just for a shooter.
View Quote

I have to admit, I don't pay any attention to them other than to identify and dismiss them. Reactivating DP rifles is a bad idea.

ETA: The issue with DP rifles is that they often had any good parts pulled off and replaced with stuff that was no longer in spec.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#19]
So does a 1917 bbl screw into the 1914 receiver?  Replace bolt, check headspace, GTG?  Or requires aftermarket bbl, nightmare to convert?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have to admit, I don't pay any attention to them other than to identify and dismiss them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to admit, I don't pay any attention to them other than to identify and dismiss them.

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So does a 1917 bbl screw into the 1914 receiver?  Replace bolt, check headspace, GTG?  Or requires aftermarket bbl, nightmare to convert?
View Quote

Yes, the M1917 barrel would fit into a P14 receiver.  But turning a P14 into a quasi-M1917 would require changing the barrel, stock, magazine box, follower, follower spring, trigger guard, bolt, extractor, rear handguard, rear handguard retaining ring, front sight blade, and rear sight ladder.  (Though I guess you could omit the latter two if you don't mind the sights being miscalibrated.)
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have to admit, I don't pay any attention to them other than to identify and dismiss them. Reactivating DP rifles is a bad idea.

ETA: The issue with DP rifles is that they often had any good parts pulled off and replaced with stuff that was no longer in spec.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard of problems with people trying to restore DP 1903s and Brit Enfields and sometimes getting hurt because of this, but that was people gunsmithing in their basement.  These you say were done by CAI (which I know alot of people say is not much better than bubba doing it) so is there even a modicum of confidence in rifle safety?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, the M1917 barrel would fit into a P14 receiver.  But turning a P14 into a quasi-M1917 would require changing the barrel, stock, magazine box, follower, follower spring, trigger guard, bolt, extractor, rear handguard, rear handguard retaining ring, front sight blade, and rear sight ladder.  (Though I guess you could omit the latter two if you don't mind the sights being miscalibrated.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  So does a 1917 bbl screw into the 1914 receiver?  Replace bolt, check headspace, GTG?  Or requires aftermarket bbl, nightmare to convert?

I gather the only common parts are the receiver & trigger.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have heard of problems with people trying to restore DP 1903s and Brit Enfields and sometimes getting hurt because of this, but that was people gunsmithing in their basement.  These you say were done by CAI (which I know alot of people say is not much better than bubba doing it) so is there even a modicum of confidence in rifle safety?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given CAI's "work" on the .308 MAS 49/56 rifles? No.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I gather the only common parts are the receiver & trigger.  
View Quote

The common parts are the trigger, front handguard, rear barrel band, front barrel band/bayonet lug, stock hardware, front sight block, and screws.

I did some checking, and it looks like even the P14 receiver would need some modification to the magazine well opening, feed ramp, and the ejector cutout to work with the M1917 parts, and the M1917 bolt would have to be modified to fit the P14 receiver's lug raceways.  So while it's possible to convert a P14 receiver to work, it's not a direct swap.

All in all, it wouldn't be worth the time, money, and effort.  Just buy a M1917.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  The common parts are the trigger, front handguard, rear barrel band, front barrel band/bayonet lug, stock hardware, front sight block, and screws.

I did some checking, and it looks like even the P14 receiver would need some modification to the magazine well opening, feed ramp, and the ejector cutout to work with the M1917 parts, and the M1917 bolt would have to be modified to fit the P14 receiver's lug raceways.  So while it's possible to convert a P14 receiver to work, it's not a direct swap.

All in all, it wouldn't be worth the time, money, and effort.  Just buy a M1917.
View Quote

Agreed.  But thanks for explaining why there weren't mass conversions of Pattern 1914's to .30"-06.  If the bayonet lug is common, are the bayonets interchangeable?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Agreed.  But thanks for explaining why there weren't mass conversions of Pattern 1914's to .30"-06.  If the bayonet lug is common, are the bayonets interchangeable?
View Quote

Yes, they're identical. Only the markings differ.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  In fact, when M1917 production started ramping up in mid-to-late 1917, the first several batches of M1917 bayonets were just undelivered Pattern 1913 bayonets (for the P14) that had the British proof marks on the blade crossed out and US markings added.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Isn't that the standard shotgun bayonet to this day?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Isn't that the standard shotgun bayonet to this day?
View Quote

The M1917 bayonet was used on a series of different US military shotguns from WW1 through about the Vietnam War era.  After that, military shotguns began using bayonets designed for the M16/M4, like the M7 and M9 bayonets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top