Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 10:49:12 AM EDT
Ok so I just got up after night shift to discover a flooded basement and of course that's where my gun collection was stored. I just moved into a new house and they were stored temporarily in two lower end safes while my gun room is under construction and naturally this happens. It looks like most sat butt stock down  in several  inches of water for several hours and most have noticeable water lines several inches up the butt stock. I dried them off with a towel now have them upstairs stacked in as corner with a space heater on low in the opposite corner of the room drying. Is this the best way or should I be doing anything else?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. For the most part, they looked fine when they dried but a couple with steel buttplates showed a little darkening of the wood where it meets the buttplate. Dry them the best you can with towels and fans and maybe take the buttplates off right away if it's not already too late.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you're ok.  Don't dry too fast.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Let the wood dry naturally. It may take several days. Do not force dry it you may end up with cracks. Remove all metal bits and clean and oil. Then after the stocks are dry reassemble.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I would remove the buttstocks on everything that has a screw attaching the stock to the rear of the receiver. The water will wick up the screw to the receiver. Clean, dry and oil the metal and wait a week or so for the wood to dry out before reattaching.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the reply's, I've got them all cleaned up and wiped down with the butt plates removed and in a dry room. It looks like I got a little bit of finish damage on some but it could have been worse and it's not like these rifles weren't supposed to get wet occasionally anyway. Looks like a malfunctioning sump pump was the culprit, a replacement with battery backup and an alarm is already paid for.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok so I just got up after night shift to discover a flooded basement and of course that's where my gun collection was stored. I just moved into a new house and they were stored temporarily in two lower end safes while my gun room is under construction and naturally this happens. It looks like most sat butt stock down  in several  inches of water for several hours and most have noticeable water lines several inches up the butt stock. I dried them off with a towel now have them upstairs stacked in as corner with a space heater on low in the opposite corner of the room drying. Is this the best way or should I be doing anything else?
View Quote

Pictures?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the reply's, I've got them all cleaned up and wiped down with the butt plates removed and in a dry room. It looks like I got a little bit of finish damage on some but it could have been worse and it's not like these rifles weren't supposed to get wet occasionally anyway. Looks like a malfunctioning sump pump was the culprit, a replacement with battery backup and an alarm is already paid for.
View Quote

I keep a primary sump pump and added a Basement Watchdog sump pump as a backup.  That way 2 pumps will have to fail plus have an extended power outage drain the battery before it floods.

Hope those stocks don't warp or split.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top