Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 6:18:52 PM EDT
I have two family heirlooms that I am looking to clean up and get back into working condition. I threw in some .22lr rounds and neither fired though at the very edge of the rim there was some small indentations.

I need some advice for each of them as follows

1. Stevens Arms Company - Stevens Junior.
- front sight is missing. Looks to be a sliver of steel wedged into the barrel - need to locate or fabricate this part.
- The action that pulls down and contains the firing pin - appears the post you use to operate it is just a straight piece of steel and is slightly bent, also I'm pretty sure the firing pin is shot.
- wood has some cracks - (epoxy or wood glue?)
- Wood is pretty dirty, I'd like to return it to original look but only by pulling out the grim, without harming original finish
- barrel has turned brown, how to clean this up?

Anything else you have for advice

2. Stevens Arms Co. Marked 14 1/2 - Pretty much same as the other with the wood and barrel cleanup. Firing pin is shot and someone put a screw that's not the right one that holds the firing pin lever assembly together.

Any idea where I can find either original parts or get new ones made?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You  might try Numrich for the parts. Also those guns might be 22 shorts and NOT long rifle. make sure of that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have my dad's Steven's junior, stock is cracked too, have not fixed it yet, I did replace the firing pin with one I fashioned from a nail. Works sometimes, Numrich can be hit or miss on parts, I've tried them for the pin frequently. If at first you don't succeed try, try, again. Oh, check the top of the barrel it should be marked if I remember right. Have to drag it out to check mine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You definitely want to make sure of the caliber, as it may not be .22 LR.  Back when those rifles were made, "22" rounds came in MANY different flavors, and several were NOT interchangeable.  If they are chambered in .22 WRF (Winchester Rim Fire), you might get the "edge of rim" firing pin strike you described.  This is because the .22 WRF has a chamber which is both larger diameter and longer than that of a .22 LR.  The .22 WRF round was very common in the early 20th Century, and is basically a shorter version of the .22 MAG, which came years later.

By the way, the "brown" on the barrel is rust.  Some call it "patina".
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Try Wisner's Gun Parts.  They have a pretty good inventory of obsolete parts for old Stevens single shot rimfire rifles (among others).  They also have very good schematics on their website.  They had the parts that I needed and the drawings to show me how to get my Steven's 1894 Favorite shooting again.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/web_layout/rifles/stevens/stev_start.html

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try Wisner's Gun Parts.  They have a pretty good inventory of obsolete parts for old Stevens single shot rimfire rifles (among others).  They also have very good schematics on their website.  They had the parts that I needed and the drawings to show me how to get my Steven's 1894 Favorite shooting again.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/web_layout/rifles/stevens/stev_start.html

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee484/damienph/rifles/DSCN0648-1.jpg
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee484/damienph/rifles/DSCN0647-1.jpg
View Quote

Thanks, better than waiting for Numrich to get them in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to get some lever action.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Stevens Crack Shot 26 as well. Belonged to my great grandfather.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top