Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 7:59:40 AM EDT
I bought 2 hex receiver mosins, and they are filled with cosmoline, worse than I've ever seen.  However, the wood looks to be in great condition, and I don't want to screw it up taking the cosmo off.  How do you guys take off cosmo without messing up the finish on the stock?  One of my friends recommended using mineral spirits, but I'm afraid that will screw with the finish.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought 2 hex receiver mosins, and they are filled with cosmoline, worse than I've ever seen.  However, the wood looks to be in great condition, and I don't want to screw it up taking the cosmo off.  How do you guys take off cosmo without messing up the finish on the stock?  One of my friends recommended using mineral spirits, but I'm afraid that will screw with the finish.  What do you guys think?
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_14/427800_Yugo_Mauser_stock_finish_issue.html

^ the meothod i recommened in the above thread works. But your stocks are shellac... so

Don't hit shellac with anything harsh. There is no need the wood is already sealed, just wipe it down with penetrating oil (PB blaster wd40) and the cosmoline will wipe right off. Cosmoline doesn't penetrate the wood like most stock finishes unless its areas where its flaking. So just wiping it off the surface is all that is required.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
one of the non invasive methods is to wrap it like a mummy in paper towels/newspapers/rags stick it in a black garbage back and stick it on the dash of your closed car in the summer.  The natural heat will melt it.  Pull it out, wipe it off and repeat.   A hot attic or garage will work too.

Another method I've used that requires caution and discretion is an electric heat gun.  A hair dryer should work albeit more slowly (and safely).   You need to watch with the heat gun that you don't over heat an area and bubble or burn the finish.  

I've seen threads where other guys that buy C&R's regularly build a light bulb oven with a metal vent pipe or garbage can.  Don't use an LED bulb.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#3]
First off, its grease not cosmoline and all I use is pledge lemon furniture polish and paper towels.

When I shoot them for the first time I wipe them down again incase anymore wicks out due to the heat but there is hardly any.

Metal parts I clean in mineral spirits, let air dry and then oil entire metal inside and out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
We use Murphy's oil soap on our cabinets to remove cooking residue. I don't see why it wouldn't clean grease off a stock, and it's made for wood.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We use Murphy's oil soap on our cabinets to remove cooking residue. I don't see why it wouldn't clean grease off a stock, and it's made for wood.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ive used murphys before, it works as well and will not harm the stocks finish.

Quoted:

Metal parts I clean in mineral spirits, let air dry and then oil entire metal inside and out.

+1, use mineral spirits on the metal.. but not the stock.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
brake cleaner and wood oil
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
brake cleaner and wood oil
View Quote

I think you are talking about Brake cleaner for the metal - i hope.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Back when Turk Mausers were $40 each, I bought a bunch.  Among the lot were some with brand new barrels and those new stocks that had not been finished, either sanded or sealed.

My brother gave me a stainless steel tray, 9x9x48 inches.  I would fill it with turpentine and soak the stocks for several days.  I would then set them in the sun and watch the crap ooze out.  By using the turp as a solvent that wasn't bad for the wood, I was able to dilute the cosmo or whatever the Turks put on them so that it would leach faster.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help guys.  I spent about 4 or 5 hours on Sunday cleaning both guns.  Murphys Oil Soap worked great on the stocks.  They look beautiful now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Back when Turk Mausers were $40 each, I bought a bunch.  Among the lot were some with brand new barrels and those new stocks that had not been finished, either sanded or sealed.

My brother gave me a stainless steel tray, 9x9x48 inches.  I would fill it with turpentine and soak the stocks for several days.  I would then set them in the sun and watch the crap ooze out.  By using the turp as a solvent that wasn't bad for the wood, I was able to dilute the cosmo or whatever the Turks put on them so that it would leach faster.
View Quote

Hmm. The one I got had a new stock but a completely shot-out barrel. Why bother puting a new stock on it?

Anyways, I just clean the metal. In only one case did I find a stock filled with cosmo-grease, enough I could scoop it out with a rag, otherwise I just put the gun back together and go shoot it 'till it's hot enough to burn my hands and then cosmo oozes out of the wood and I just keep wipeing it down with a rag.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The new barrels and the new stocks were on the same rifles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:44:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I just cleaned one for a buddy, on the stock all I used was Simple Green and paper towels. seemed to work very well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top