Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 10:39:22 AM EDT
I have picked up a Carcano 91/38 rifle with one problem.... At some point in the past the stock was heavily sanded and refinished.  Here is the problem, I plan on restocking this rilfe to make it look more original, but the cost of finding all of the metal I need is just to high. The original stock has everything I need but I would have to destroy it. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the original stock was already destroyed by sanding and such.  I say go for it for the good of the overall rifle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Why would you have to destroy the stock?
Replacement stocks can be found. Just use the hardwear from the old stock on the new one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you have to destroy the stock?
Replacement stocks can be found. Just use the hardwear from the old stock on the new one.
View Quote

There is a very good chance getting the stock bushings and recoil lug out I will need to cut the stock . I an afraid driving them out would damage the parts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Most often those parts are left on a stock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most often those parts are left on a stock.
View Quote

Sarco's stocks do not have any of the metal. I have basically $200 in the rifle, almost a $100 in new wood and I am looking at another $80 in metal to do it right. I should post up pics, it might help some.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#6]
If a Carcano has a recoil lug installed chances are it may be chambered for 8mm Mauser and may not be safe to shoot.  Most carcano stocks I've seen do not have lugs and most of the metal parts are easy to remove.  Liberty tree collectors has used surplus 91/38 stocks with no metal with handguards as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The top one is a M38 in 7.35  .  
The bottom one is a M91/38 in 6.5

http://i54.tinypic.com/2vkkktc.jpg

I don't have a pic of my M91/38 in 8mm Mauser.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If a Carcano has a recoil lug installed chances are it may be chambered for 8mm Mauser and may not be safe to shoot.  Most carcano stocks I've seen do not have lugs and most of the metal parts are easy to remove.  Liberty tree collectors has used surplus 91/38 stocks with no metal with handguards as well.
View Quote

I got the hand guard from Liberty Collectors. What is the best way to get the bushings out of the wood?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone out there that has taken the stock bushings out??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top