Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Agreed, its not aims fault.. i blame century.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the mark on my K31. It's big, but shallow enough that it's barely visible. I was fine with this one.

From back here it's barely visible.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
yep even my old k11 wasn't bad either:

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Both of those scripts are acceptable. The underside of the barrel is, of course, preferable but the side of the rear sight base would be my next preference. I really don't understand why Century didn't go with that option. The 98Ks they imported have scripts on the side of the rear sight base.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]
AIM did a great job with the pictures, definitely no messing around with showing the customer what the mark looks like. Had to cancel my order, but they are a great company and I don`t place any blame on them.

Anyone know the thought process behind Century Arms is? I can`t imagine they don`t know this will reduce the demand a bit for their product. Of course this is century, the company that can barely put together a rifle from scratch so I may have answered my own question.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I'm keeping my order. There are ways :eyeblink: to make it less obvious.

I bought it to be a shooter anyway and not a safe queen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agreed.  Wow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thats one of the worst billboards ive ever seen.

Agreed.  Wow.

I'm speechless at how utterly horrible that looks. That is THE worst billboard I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I looked at SOG $309 for handpick walnut stock with sling but I really like dealing with aim and except for this hideous stupid century mark I believe it will be an exceptional rifle.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone ever get one from SOG?   I got some P-64s from them and was not impressed in the condition.  Don't want the K31s to be the same way if I order one from them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone ever get one from SOG?   I got some P-64s from them and was not impressed in the condition.  Don't want the K31s to be the same way if I order one from them.
View Quote

I got a handpick from them was excellent condition. PW import mark on the side of the rear sight really not to bad.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you refinish your rifle? Also it looks like there is about 40% bluing left, not an issue i like honest wear.. but its not in a excellent condition and should be priced accordingly. Especially with these rifles, they never show combat.

psst... simpsons ltd..

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Been putting off picking up a walnut......better not put it off too much longer.......
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did you refinish your rifle? Also it looks like there is about 40% bluing left, not an issue i like honest wear.. but its not in a excellent condition and should be priced accordingly. Especially with these rifles, they never show combat.

psst... simpsons ltd..

View Quote

Depending on what you paid, I'd be pretty pissed if they passed that off as excellent, hand-select condition.  Beyond the lack of bluing, it almost looks moderately pitted as well.  Can't tell bore condition from that pic.  Maybe it's just bad pics.

Simpsons has K-31s with 80% blue and very good bore for $325-ish, and that includes a sling.  Not that I didn't get a great rifle from AIM the last go-around (with the very discreet import mark), but if I decide to get a second K-31 I'll prob go with Simpsons.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#16]
No I did nothing to the stock thats how it came to me from SOG. The bluing is worn but there is no pitting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I quickly blobbed on with a touch up pen, let it dry, then removed the excess by gently scrubbing one direction with steel wool.  

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eLdyggGFHkM/U1gbWSPrScI/AAAAAAAABh4/5eFUOpPEwn4/s800/f3k31BluePen.jpg

Definitely an improvement. Probably could have gotten it a little nicer if I had taken my time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking a touch of cold blue could make the import mark less obvious? Thoughts?
I quickly blobbed on with a touch up pen, let it dry, then removed the excess by gently scrubbing one direction with steel wool.  

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eLdyggGFHkM/U1gbWSPrScI/AAAAAAAABh4/5eFUOpPEwn4/s800/f3k31BluePen.jpg

Definitely an improvement. Probably could have gotten it a little nicer if I had taken my time.

Hey that doesn't look all too bad, almost like it belongs there.  I guess that's one way to deal with it but I still hate to see that receiver cluttered up, it's one of the things I really like about the K-31 - just that shield on the top.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Thats even better than I was expecting... But yeah it still bothers me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:17:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking a touch of cold blue could make the import mark less obvious? Thoughts?

its better, but its still enough to keep me from buying.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine is on the brown truck out for delivery. I'll post pics today or tomorrow evening.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Posted pics on the aim surplus thread in industry section.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:36:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks Erik for the photo after using the blue pen, definitely an improvement, the mark doesn't jump out like before.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Anyone know the thought process behind Century Arms is? I can`t imagine they don`t know this will reduce the demand a bit for their product. Of course this is century, the company that can barely put together a rifle from scratch so I may have answered my own question.
View Quote

I had a BATFE compliance inspection at my pawnshop recently. The inspectors inventory every gun in the shop and compare it to the bound book. One of the things they look for is the recording of IMPORTER in the bound book. The inspector made the comment that the importers should stamp the receiver prominently but that some importers try to hide the stamp. He said that like he thought it was a bad thing. It seems like their priority is making it easy for ATF inspectors (and, ostensibly, a cop at a crime scene) to be able to find the stampings easily and quickly. How the stamp fucks up the appearance of an otherwise collectible firearm does not enter into their thinking in the least. It simply doesn't compute for them. It's all about being able to quickly ID the gun. I suspect that Century Arms stamps their guns the way they do just to keep the ATF from crawling up their ass.

BTW, I transfered one of these new AIM K31's the other day. The stamping was pretty bad, but the gun itself was super nice. Damn shame. Imagine if the government started regulating the importation of artwork and every priceless painting you bought had to have a big government mandated stamp prominently placed on the face of the work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#25]
A few arrived for me today.  The markings are definitely there.  Not terrible (but not great) and not stamped deep.  Would much rather they not be there, but it is what it is I guess.  Nice bluing and came with the sling and muzzle cap.  One had the buttplate tag!   Great packing by AIM.
Happy!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Considering it . . . still in stock.

My AIM Mosin has under-barrel importer marks and the super tight bayonet has not been kind to the markings.  I can see where the BATF may have issues with the location.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#27]
in comparison.. my brothers simpsons that i picked out for him.

Both have troop tags.

1948 K31, Rebuilt in 1952 - Numbers Matching

1936 K31 - Numbers Matching

Imported by simspns ltd.. font is about this big and predarkened. Can only see it if the light hits it directly.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#28]
You chose 2 nice ones for him.  Picked mine up from AIM, also a 1936, looks similar to the one you picked but a little more blue wear and more stock gouges/dents.  Really like those small import marks on those Simpson ones, that's what these should have had!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I received a hand pick beech yesterday. Yes the import mark is hideous, but but rifle is gorgeous. Just ordered a second.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#30]

I ended up ordering a matching numbers '55 beechwood from Simpsons. Looks nearly identical to the beechwood your brother got. Bluing was listed as 80% but it looks more like 90%. Stock looks just like his. Haven't had a chance to clean it up or check for the troop tag.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#31]
The billboard doesn't bother me it will not be long from now the import stamps will all be hideous or we will not be able to buy these type guns anymore.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#32]
From a collector point I think those with the large import marks will be worth less than the others.  Even if from now on they are all like that, the ones before the change will go for a premium.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

From a collector point I think those with the large import marks will be worth less than the others.  Even if from now on they are all like that, the ones before the change will go for a premium.
View Quote
I think you might be better off paying an extra 100-200 now and get one off gunbroker, with a less obvious IM, reminds me of Blue Sky M1.

I thought it was a little strange the walnuts sold out and then was back in stock in 1-2 days. Glade to see AIM being helpful to their customers. +1

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly. This is why firearms with no import mark are worth more than those without, all else being equal. Personally, I wouldn't buy a collectable firearm with that billboard. There are too many K31s available to have to settle at this point.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This makes me wonder... assuming that wiki is correct, only 528K or so K31s were produced.  Anyone know roughly how many have been imported into the US over the years?  10,000?  100,000?  So, with a relatively finite number of rifles even in existence (when you compare to production in the millions for other popular C&Rs), you could get a good estimate of how many US imported rifles have import stamps, and then start to appreciate the rarity of a stampless or even very discretely stamped K31 if these billboards keep getting larger and supply of rifles diminish.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think you might be better off paying an extra 100-200 now and get one off gunbroker, with a less obvious IM, reminds me of Blue Sky M1.
I thought it was a little strange the walnuts sold out and then was back in stock in 1-2 days. Glade to see AIM being helpful to their customers. +1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the Century billboard is an issue you can get a K31 without it from Simspons Ltd. for $295-350 plus $25 shipping. You can even pick your exact rifle from their website.

My K31 will likely be my only one, so I didn't want it to have the billboard. I bought a $325 rifle from Simspons. I finally had a chance to clean it today and love it. It was advertised as having 80% bluing but pretty much the only wear in the finish is on the rear left side of the receiver. The bore looks new. The stock shows lots of use, though. It had the troop ID and a couple blades of grass under the buttplate.

I'll post pics when I take them.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

started with 400.. one guy one gunbaords bought 16... hmmm hate when people hoard them. I just needed one for a k31 i have. Blah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bayonets didn't last long.

started with 400.. one guy one gunbaords bought 16... hmmm hate when people hoard them. I just needed one for a k31 i have. Blah.

I have on that I have no use for.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Received my K31 from AIM yesterday.  Ordered the walnut, and it's not as dark as I'd hoped.  Yes, the import mark is large, but with some cold blue I think I can make it tolerable.  I think of it as my penalty for sitting on my ass and not ordering one years ago with the discrete mark and lower price.  I am surprised the importer assigned their own serial number instead of using the original.

ETA:  It does have the troop tag, so I'm pleased with that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#39]
It should be said if this was a hard to find; rarely imported firearm i doubt the import mark would be this great of a concern.

Like this century imported inglis high power for example

But sadly; these k31s are not in that category. Especially when folks thoughts are of the imported rifles by m+m, just a few months back, that were under the barrel and tiny.

Thats why i think folks were taken aback and shocked at these and how they were marked.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm glad to have a K31 now, but given the choice again I would buy one from Simpsons.  I'm glad AIM sent the notification that the import mark was on the receiver instead of the barrel.  At the time that didn't seem like a big deal, however several days later when I saw how large the import mark was then it became a big deal, but it was too late to cancel as it had shipped.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Got one through AIM last week, other than the CAI butchery on the receiver it is gorgeous. Stock is a dinged up, but no worse than I expected. Metal is good and the bore looks perfect. Cleaned the stock with acetone to get the surface grime off. A few coats of tung oil and it should look pretty good. It did have a tag under the buttplate, so going to try and track that down. Looks like the owner was born 1919, so most likely will have to find relatives. Now I just have to figure out how to get the bolt back together.

Greg Shaw
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A few coats of tung oil and it should look pretty good.
Greg Shaw
View Quote

Before putting a incorrect finish on a rifle.. try howards feed n' wax. You will be surprise what it can do without altering the original finish.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Before putting a incorrect finish on a rifle.. try howards feed n' wax. You will be surprise what it can do without altering the original finish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greg Shaw

From what I found on surplusrifleforum, the original finish on walnut stocked k31 was linseed oil and turpentine. I'll be using Hope's 100% pure tung oil, not tung oil finish, thinned with mineral spirits. That's much closer to the original finish than gunny's paste or other wax finishes.

Greg Shaw
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

From what I found on surplusrifleforum, the original finish on walnut stocked k31 was linseed oil and turpentine. I'll be using Hope's 100% pure tung oil, not tung oil finish, thinned with mineral spirits. That's much closer to the original finish than gunny's paste or other wax finishes.

Greg Shaw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greg Shaw

Greg Shaw

Well thats good.. but what makes you think it needs a refinish / touchup? The honest wear on these are part of the appeal.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm happy with mine I bought the rifle to shoot. However i'm mad they sold out before I bought one earlier this year I would have had the discreet import mark. BUT its not as bad as the picture shows IMO.
And I gotta say thanks to AIM for being so honest. It may be part of the reason I decided not to cancel.

Although I hate AIM because they kill my power to resist buying when low on the $$$. Just bought the Nice K-31 bayonet. dammit..
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#46]
AIM has $220 K31s that "didn't make the cut for quality" on their website now.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
AIM has $220 K31s that "didn't make the cut for quality" on their website now.

View Quote

fingers crossed my stock isnt cracked
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#48]
i was able to place an order this morning, thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Be sure to post what you guys get.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top