Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2014 1:42:11 PM EDT
Just got the back in stock notification, for anyone interested. Both Walnut ($309) and Beech ($289). Says it's a small shipment.

LINK
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Came here to post this... after I placed my order
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Came here to post this... after I placed my order
View Quote

Same here

See the mass email just came out too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
They have bayonets as well for $29.95. Which is a heck of a good deal. (Most other places are asking $50-$90+ for their Swiss bayonets.)

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XK31Bay
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I snagged a bayonet and 10 boxes of 7.5 ammo!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bayonets didn't last long.
View Quote

started with 400.. one guy one gunbaords bought 16... hmmm hate when people hoard them. I just needed one for a k31 i have. Blah.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn. I'd really like to pick up another k31 but just not in the cards right now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

started with 400.. one guy one gunbaords bought 16... hmmm hate when people hoard them. I just needed one for a k31 i have. Blah.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.....got the e-mail but had to wait until I got home. By the time I did they were all gone just need one - bummer!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Guess I'm eating Ramen noodles again this month.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guess I'm eating Ramen noodles again this month.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm really considering what I can move to get one of these while they're still available. I'm still kicking myself for passing up a nice example years ago.

ETA: Anyone know if the handselect option is worth it on these?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same here.....got the e-mail but had to wait until I got home. By the time I did they were all gone just need one - bummer!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could use two, but I guess I'll have to wait.

Oh well.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I got the email yesterday... I was trying to talk myself out of one over night (because they started with a few hundred in stock, I was telling myself i had time to wait for cash).  But i snapped and bought one along with a case of ammo just now when I saw they were down to 125.  My will is weak. But my credit cards are going strong  I did get the hand select option, hope it was worth the extra ten bucks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I went. $316 shipped for a handpick beech stocked(I like the blondes) rifle. I'll post pics when it arrives.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]
PMO lost in the mail, so now I have to watch these sell out before I can get it straightened out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

PMO lost in the mail, so now I have to watch these sell out before I can get it straightened out.
View Quote
The walnut stocked rifles are down to 76. Still just over 500 beech stocks. They've sold about 70 of those today.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Got one of the hand select walnut stocks ordered Friday.

Really tempted to get a beechwood stock one but I'll hold off for now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#19]
While it's not an absolute, people elsewhere insist on buying the beech with the latest production year, they figure these have the lowest round counts on the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a 1944 that was  Arsenal rebuilt in 1955 that's in a beech stock. It should be noted not all beech stocked rifles are late rifles.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a 1944 that was  Arsenal rebuilt in 1955 that's in a beech stock. It should be noted not all beech stocked rifles are late rifles.
View Quote

Very true.  It's also important to note that not all "light colored"/"blonde" K31 stocks are beech.  The European Walnut used by the Swiss to make rifle stocks varied rather widely in color, depending on what part of the tree the wood came from (sapwood vs heartwood), as well as the age of the tree.  Not all walnut stocks are the dark brown usually associated with walnut by surplus rifle collectors.

For example, here are five K31s, only one of which is beech:

Some folks would say just at first glance that only #3 is walnut, while the rest are beech.  In reality, only #5 is beech, while the others are all different shades of walnut.

In addition, some of the walnut stocks have had the yellowish/orangeish shellac that's typically seen on beech stocks applied to them, which further alters the color of the wood, and further confuses collectors.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Handsome collection.

My brother picked up 2 (one walnut and one beech) from this Aims shipment. I will let you folks know what he gets.

Until then eye candy-

The 1944 /55 refurb

K31 Beech by Spaxspore, on Flickr

1944 Walnut;

k31 SWISS Walnut by Spaxspore, on Flickr

k31 SWISS Walnut by Spaxspore, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Just an FYI... These have Century import script on the rear top of the receiver. Not a discreet import mark as their previous offers had. I was waiting for AIM to address the issue before I posted. They are offering buyers the option to cancel their order if they'd like.

I'm going ahead with mine. An ugly import mark is my price to pay for waiting so long on these.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm really torn on this whether to cancel or not. I've been wanting one for awhile but one of the reasons I want one was because of how clean and nice the rifles looked. Does anybody have them instock for a little more that doesn't have the import marks?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have a pic of what the import mark looks like on this current batch?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm really torn on this whether to cancel or not. I've been wanting one for awhile but one of the reasons I want one was because of how clean and nice the rifles looked. Does anybody have them instock for a little more that doesn't have the import marks?
View Quote

I just looked at their site. There's now a detailed pic showing the stamp that I'm not sure was originally available. I said no at first to these, then I've been trying to avoid ordering a beech to match my walnut the past couple of days. While imports stamps aren't usually a big deal, I'm not sure I can look past it on this Swiss. I think the import mark, while not a huge deal for a shooter, has made my mind for me. I commend aim at least for giving its clients the option of retraction as I'm sure some will not be able to overlook it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#27]
small under the barrel, the same as my k11s from AIM. These are miles above what has been recently imported. Don't miss out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
small under the barrel, the same as my k11s from AIM. These are miles above what has been recently imported. Don't miss out.
View Quote

Taken from AIM. These must be a different shipment. Too bad century got lazy. She'll still shoot nicely though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#29]
yea, thats the old imports.

The new one are under the barrel. That was what i was waiting for when i bought the k11 they had instock earlier this year.

EDIT-

I just noticed AIM changed thier description from them being discreetly imported under the barrel. I hope they are not century.. will find out soon when my brother gets his. I can tell he will not be pleased if its import marked like that. One of the reasons he bought them was the description by aim that the import mark were UNDER the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does anybody have them instock for a little more that doesn't have the import marks?
View Quote

In order for a K31 to not have any import mark at all, it would have had to be imported prior to 1968.  I don't think they imported any K31s that far back.

As pointed out by Spax, the previous batch from Aim Surplus had had right about the most unobtrusive import marks possible.  They were under the barrel, partially masked by the stacking hook/bayonet lug, and pretty well-hidden.  Your best bet is to try to find one of those.

Simpson Ltd. has a number of K31s for sale, which have the more discreet import mark on the barrel: http://www.simpsonltd.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=swiss+k-31&search_in_description=1  Their prices are higher than Aim Surplus, but the rifles are listed individually, so you know exactly what you're getting when you buy from them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the pics showing the receiver.  Received the email and cancelled my order.  Will be looking elsewhere for a non discreet import mark.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#32]
My brother just contacted me, AIM surplus got a hold of him and notified him of the mix up; and that they do in fact have the billboard as shown above. He canceled his order. I do not blame him; would have done the same. Thats one of the worst billboards ive ever seen.

PS-

A+ to aim for contacting him. Thats top shelf Customer service right there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thats one of the worst billboards ive ever seen.
View Quote

Agreed.  Wow.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Wow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Wow.

You would think in this day and age with so many collectors and forums and things like that that importers would be wise to discreetly import mark their weapons.

Why is it so hard to make them small and put them somewhere non intrusive?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You would think in this day and age with so many collectors and forums and things like that that importers would be wise to discreetly import mark their weapons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Wow.

century is quickly becoming the new pw arms. Check out this rare inglis high power that they marked up that i own.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Wow.

I think it's a matter of what's required and not the importer's preference. It seems like the majority of these marks resemble R Guns billboard script these days. My guess is the ATF has become stricter on the script requirements over the last few years just to be difficult as they have with other areas of their enforcement.

I've gone back and forth on canceling, but don't think I will. The fact that no one else has them for a comparable price and their unavailability locally aided my decision.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm thinking a touch of cold blue could make the import mark less obvious? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think it's a matter of what's required and not the importer's preference. It seems like the majority of these marks resemble R Guns billboard script these days. My guess is the ATF has become stricter on the script requirements over the last few years just to be difficult as they have with other areas of their enforcement.

I've gone back and forth on canceling, but don't think I will. The fact that no one else has them for a comparable price and their unavailability locally aided my decision.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Wow.

Can't agree with that - m+M import earlier this year on swiss k11 debunks that theroy. As does the group west imported pus.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Canceled But Aim will be getting more money from me for other items because of their honesty.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Can't agree with that - m+M import earlier this year on swiss k11 debunks that theroy. As does the group west imported pus.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah. Could have sworn I read somewhere that there were requirements. Leave it to Century to needlessly scar a pure piece of craftsmanship.

Who was the importer of the Swiss rifles prior to this lot?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

M+M, Inc.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

M+M, Inc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M+M, Inc.

Yep, in feb of this year they had k11s/ k31s all nicly import marked under the barrel like my pic above. Century needs to get with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/f3k31wx5.jpg

Taken from AIM. These must be a different shipment. Too bad century got lazy. She'll still shoot nicely though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/f3k31wx5.jpg

Savages.

To be truthful though, Simpson LTD - who have all kinds of affordable K31 with individual descriptions and photos have the best discreet marking I have seen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Holy crap that's ugly. WTF, CAI?

My K11 has the aformentioned tiny M&M mark that's basically hidden by the stacking hook.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#45]
A+ to aim for contacting him. Thats top shelf Customer service right there.
View Quote

Most definitely

What a shame
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#46]
brother just placed an order for two k31s from simpsons ltds that i handpicked for him. You can't see the import mark if any in the pictures.. the two i picked were under the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Kind if a shame as these piqued my interest. I was on the fence but I'd have to agree, that huge import marking is a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Wow, almost ordered a walnut the other day to compliment my beech K31.  Really glad I talked myself out of that one
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Sucks about that import mark but Century doesn't care. All about profit and the .02 cents per rifle in man hours saved to stamp it there instead of discreetly.

I have a pile of K31's but picked up a very nice 258k serial ( 1957 ) today locally for not much more than it would have cost to get one of these recent AIM ones. Miss the days of $79 ones as I got some real nice ones for that price.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#50]
After thinking about it all day and seeing the pics on a large screen, I think I'm going to cancel my order. I hate this for AIM. My fear is they'll have rifles without the billboard in the future or they'll end up dropping the price on these after the cancellations. I was the last holdout in this thread, so I'm guessing a high percentage of buyers are canceling.

I'm keeping my accompanying order for a batch of GP11, though. If I don't get a K31 down the road I'll just flip the ammo.

Sorry AIM. It's just the worst location import script I've ever seen.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top