Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2014 5:31:03 PM EDT
So, I was thinking earlier today (after hitting the gunshow) about C&Rs, and collecting, and gun things, and I got to thinking.

Why do I collect so many rifles if I will never be able to fully use and appreciate them all? I posted a pic of my whole collection a couple weeks back, and compared to some of you guys, it's not that big. However, I got to thinking about what if I sold off most of them and consolidated to only guns I shoot often, and then use the money from my collection to get some proper training and more ammo. And maybe upgrade some existing rifles and shotguns I have. I have several rifles I rarely, if ever shoot. I enjoy having them around, but they don't really do much for me other than take up safe room. It's great just being able to own so many rifles, but like I said, they don't get used or appreciated as much as they could be.

Does anyone else ever think of drastically slimming down their collection? Has anyone ever gone through a big sell-off only to regret it later? I have never sold a gun (yet, only been collecting two years). I am worried I might regret it but then again, there is a lot of money tied up in my collection that could be used for other things. Being at the gunshow earlier today, some rifles were fetching ridiculous prices. SKSs for $450, 91/30s for $200, etc.

What do you guys think? Anyone here that is constantly buying and selling? Or anyone who just buys buys buys?

I'd appreciate some discussion and advice if anyone has any. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I like having a broad range of weaponry in my collection. There are a few redundant pieces I will likely send out into the world, like some of the $79 K31's that I got from AIM back in the heyday of cheap K31's. Other than that the only change I see is the leaning toward civilian C&R's from the first half of the 20th century instead of milsurp C&R's. There are still a few holes in the American bolt action era forward military rifle collection, one of which I filled tonight. S&W revolvers have been the siren song lately. Gunbroker C&R search is dangerous to my discretionary funds.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I thinned out my collection a couple years ago. Sold off most of my Mosins and don't miss them. Sold of some others I wished I'd kept. These include a Enfield MK5, K-31, Nagant revolver, Inland carbine and a Japanese type 99.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried that in the early 90's, regretted that decision ever since.  If you have the room, and can afford to keep them - do!  Your tastes will change from time to time in what you like to shoot.  Its a lot easier to dig something out of the safe than track a new one down.  My motto is if it doesn't cost anything to feed it - keep it.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It is easier to justify a collection when you stick to a certain era or country. Unless something changes it will be harder in the years to come to find affordable firearms to collect. Personally I think about it when most of my free time is spent cleaning, working on, parts hunting, or just research. I never do as I could never replace some of things I have picked up. It easy to get caught up in the last wonder fad and look at those old rifles as a cash resource. Those old rifle have history and have had made history. No new wonder tactual item will ever have that. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the process of a large slim down right now.

Selling everything but my Mosins and Mausers in my European collection.  

Edit - oh yeah, and my British stuff (though I've never shot a 303  , I have a freakin' pile of them for some freakish reason.)

Keeping my U.S. stuff.

Just got done getting rid of my Carcanos (one left in the EE), my French MAS rifles, my Steyr rifle and carbine, etc.  Sold my German flags and a couple other things that were just collecting dust.

I want to do exactly what you suggest - enjoy the ones I have more - less quantity, more quality - a little more direction instead of grabbing every C&R that I come across.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]
After saying I would never sell any thing again, i just sold off 2 pieces i didnt shoot.  I replaced then with some hunting guns that I wanted.  I am probably going to make another sale before 2 long.  I won't sell anymore US stuff for now as I enjoy that collection and history. I am considering selling my 91/30 and T53, but haven't decided.  I only have them for the cheap ammo, but I havent shot either of them in the last year.

The buying is sometimes more fun then the keeping.  Keep what interests you, sell the others and get something you'll enjoy more.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:49:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Over the years I have sold off most of my C&R collection. Once was for financial reasons (out of a job for 18 months) and once was because I just lost interest with certain types of weapons (refined my collecting focus). My collecting focus is now simply bolt action military rifles.

I sold off all of my C&R pistols and some i'll never be able to replace, I sold the surplus ammo I had that went with them as well. I even sold my M1 rifle (I might go to hell for that ). Even last year I got tired of having so many rifles that I never used and I sold off less desirable (to me) examples that I had. It came to a point where I had to realize that I couldn't collect everything.

My collection now is fairly small compared to what I used to have but they are rifles that I am very pleased with and all are in fantastic condition. Here lately I will only buy if I can get a good deal on a rifle, I don't focus on a particular model or country but if I can get a good deal on a gun i'll jump on it. But one constant with me over the years was ammo, I always kept buying surplus ammo whenever I came across it and I have quite a good stash now and i'll never sell the ammo, that shit is like gold
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Some good thoughts here.

I have to agree that the hunting and buying is more fun than actually owning the rifle. It's a good deal of satisfaction when you finally come across that one type you were looking for and are able to finally say it's yours. The quality vs. quantity is also a good point. I have a 1944 91/30 that is so rough I never shoot it, and a Romy SKS that has very little finish left. I rarely shoot that one. It might be prudent to sell something like those off and in turn enhance my collection with more quality. I still don't have an M1, so maybe that gap needs to be filled

On the other hand, whoever said it doesn't cost anything to keep them is kinda rights.....

I'll keep thinking on it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I go in spurts. For a period of time, I'll be hot and heavy on one specific type, etc. I' may buy several of them. After a while, I may sell of some of them, but keep at least one (usually more) that appeals to me most. From the ones that I sell, I usually turn around and use the money to buy my next "gotta have it" item. The collection usually supports itself, so I don't have to spend a lot of money, "out of pocket".  I don't usually regret doing it this way, unless I sell the last of a specific piece. That's what will usually get to me and push me to buy another at some point, unless I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely hate whatever it is (pretty rare, but has happened a couple times and not with anything that was C&R).
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I will hold onto my collection.  Granted, at the moment I am in a C&R funk.  I did not renew my 03 which has nearly stopped my firearm purchases (the ease of having them just show up to my door was a dangerous thing for my wallet).  I still surf GB and get that itch, but it is nice saving money for a change.  I will get an 03 again, maybe in a few months, maybe a year +.  As for the collection, its has been bought and paid for already.  I would not let it go except due to finantial hardship.  I do get what you say about only being able to shoot so many, and having them take up room in the safe.  That said, I love the look of these old warhorses.  The diffrent designs intreague me, their form and functionality.  I can only display half a dozen in my home.  The rest are locked away in the safes.  This is a huge disapointment because I would much rather see all of them.  I would be happiest with a gun vault man cave.  Until that point I will be in the ups and downs of buying spree, and C&R breaks where I am in a funk because I only see a half dozen.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Done it a couple times.

The last time I sold off a large quantity of guns to buy my lightning link. Regretted selling a few. I ended up selling the link a few years later at almost a $3K profit, easily justified at the time, I had 2 post sample M16's. Ended up picking up a few of the guns I got rid of. Now I'm back to selling off more of my stuff to pay for a RR M16 from a buddy I can't live without. I'm trying to only part with stuff that my collection can be without and some post sample MG's.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]
in 12 I sold off a golani 2 or 3 tt-33 from different countries and my abs 10 RPK clone I  miss my RPK

so what if you don't shhoot  them much just get out there and shoot them.

training is over rated there are only so many ways to insert as mag.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm just really getting into it and I've decided to concentrate on rifles for now unless a really good deal falls into my lap.

I'm trying to collect 7.62x54R and 7.62x39 rifles now due to availability of ammo but as I get better at reloading then I will venture out in the 8mm, 7.7/7.5, and 6.5 markets.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I've sold off a couple dozen guns. No regrets, and I enjoy what I have now more than I would have with all the extras hanging around.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I usually sell off guns I have multiples of (same maker, year, model, etc) or ones that just don't interest me outside of the price I paid for them. So I have no trouble passing them on to someone who'd appreciate them more.

My interest in a particular gun is the reason it stays in my collection, and I make it a point to get them out at least once a year to hunt/plink/take to a match. So far I've managed to take a different rifle to every CMP match I've attended and all have been quite fun.

So far the only old guns I've sold have been shotguns, mosins and a single SMLE that bubba had gotten to with a hack saw (cleaned up and finished the work to make it a nice deer rifle, and sold it as such).
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I know the feeling.

I have a ton of old rifles, but I only shoot a small group of them regularly.  I shoot the M1, M1903, M14, and AR-15 because those are what we use in CMP and high power matches.

On the other hand, I did just load some .45-70 so I can go out and give my 1884 Trapdoor a run, and I've been having fun trying to wring accuracy out of my 91/30 snipers.

And I just bought another Israeli K98k (CE 44 code, converted to 7.62mm by the Israelis).  It's a nice compliment to my Israeli FN Mauser.

Meh, like another poster said, if they don't cost anything to keep, let them stay.

Matt
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#18]
You guys would shit if you knew of some of the great collectables I (stupidly) bought and sold over the last 40 years...original Colt SAA's and Sharps buffalo rifles...a pair of IMI Galil's...and Uzi model A...a Valmet M76...some real nice Garands... Polytech AK's... AR180's...and so on. My collection now is only about a dozen firearms, but all are excellent collectable pieces, and I shoot them all...the only ones I regret selling now really was my awesome near mint 1911 Colt GI pistol made in 1914... and my Valmet...all the other stuff was just not as satisfying to own and shoot as those two, which I can't really afford to replace now. The hottest future collectables now? Probably the TAVOR...I'd put one of those away, it has collectable written all over it.Any "assault pistols"...but especially those from SIG with the arm support...that 556 Classic pistol is a gem! My favorite shooter's now? The good 'ol M-44 and the SIG 551...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I've owned over 150 C&R's, from regular Mosins to high-dollar Lugers and WWII/WWI experimental pieces. I've been steadily consolidating for the last 3 years, and am now down to my last one (a very nice Swiss 1911; the only one I ever shot regularly). I realized that had so much money tied up in wall-hangers that it was becoming a burden. I don't regret selling some of the amazing and irreplaceable firearms that I've sold, but sometimes I do wish that I could bring them out to show people. I photographed the interesting ones extensively and have that still.

I love C&R firearms, especially the really rare or battle-scarred ones. And it would be very easy for me to slip back into the habit of building another collection. But personally I just cannot let myself do that again. Having a bare-bones gun safe with only shooters has been very liberating; it's kind of brought fun back into the hobby.

If you have the means to simply acquire and collect and get pleasure from that, go right ahead. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I enjoy taking a wheelbarrow to the range

Some days, its American Days, Some Days, British Day, Some Days, French Days, and on and on..

But I do have way too many Mosins.. I don't even like them but every time I get an email that XXXX distributor has Hexes or whatnot, I check under the couch cushions for change and order a few for the UPS to fairy to deliver..

In seriousness though, I love the development of Military Long Arms and the ballistics of the calibers.

I've been focusing on M1 carbines of each Mgf now and it is fascinating, 5 down 4 to go  

This is what I am up to for the different calibers I use now

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top