Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2012 2:48:34 AM EDT
I found this CAI Garand at a yard sale yesterday for $150.00. I figured at the time if it had some good parts I could swap them out with my other Garand.

I have not detail stripped it yet but it does have a like new 1961 Danish VAR barrel, VG+ SA bolt, and the OP rod looks good. Very good wood but mismatched.

Looks like a few Breda parts too but I swear I don't see a bad part on it except for the cast receiver.

Meh....I'll tear it down and if everything checks out OK I'll give it a go at shooting it. I figure if it works/shoots OK I'll keep it as a shooter and if it's a dog I have some decent parts for cheap.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:03:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the handguard that bad of a match or is it some kind of plastic?

You more than broke even on just the barrel so everything else is just a bonus .

If it shoots ok you hit a home run
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I know they get a bad rap, but a lot of the Century Garands I've seen (mine included) were built from brand new condition parts. Mine shoots like there's no tomorrow.

Good Score!
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know they get a bad rap, but a lot of the Century Garands I've seen (mine included) were built from brand new condition parts. Mine shoots like there's no tomorrow.

Good Score!

If it shoots I'm golden as It's not like I would ever have to worry about making it "correct" or any such BS and just enjoy shooting it. I got a "correct" Garand.

If it's a dog then I'll make some good coin parting it out.

The hand guards are walnut and look to have some sort of varnish on them. Both are in great shape and hardly a ding on them. I got some beech HGs and might switch them out.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I go to a lot of garage sales/flea markets/pawn shops down here, and NEVER see deals like some guys report on ARFCOM. Must just be location.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I go to a lot of garage sales/flea markets/pawn shops down here, and NEVER see deals like some guys report on ARFCOM. Must just be location.

It's a "target rich enviroment" where I go to YSs as there are a lot of military folks that settled into .gov jobs after they retired and stayed in NOVA . I don't mean just NCOs and the lesser ranks either but lots and lots of Majors and above. I love when the officers decide to get shed of their stuff as many were hoarders.

LOL....A lot of folks may have retired to FL but they did not bring their old stuff with them. Folks like me get it.

In fact I found a flapped GI holster for a 4" Colt Commando and/or S&W Victory model revolver this morning at the local flea market for $12.00.
It's a easy  $100.00 holster. You just never know.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Very Nice score!
If receiver turns out the be bad you can order a USGI receiver from CMP for $190.00 + shipping
If you do part it out I may be interested in the VAR barrel depending on condition,keep me in mind
Congrats,
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]
If it has a stylized pinetree on the inside of the receiver, it is an investment casting made by Pine Tree Castings (part of Sturm Ruger) for Century and should be just fine.  As long as there are still lots of forged USGI receivers in the marketplace, the cast ones will not have any demand or much value.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If it has a stylized pinetree on the inside of the receiver, it is an investment casting made by Pine Tree Castings (part of Sturm Ruger) for Century and should be just fine.  As long as there are still lots of forged USGI receivers in the marketplace, the cast ones will not have any demand or much value.

I was wondering what that casting mark was. Thanks for the info.  

LOL....I thought that maybe Izhevsk made it for them!

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting that Ruger/Pinetree can make an M1 Garand receiver, but their XGI/M1A/M14 clone failed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting that Ruger/Pinetree can make an M1 Garand receiver, but their XGI/M1A/M14 clone failed.

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
The Pine Tree receivers CAI used were supposed to be decent, the Lithgow receivers were the ones that were supposed to be horribly out of spec.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top