BCM
User Panel

Page / 23
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:38:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Johnson184:
Hoping to clarify a few things to avoid any surprises... I understand I have to enter all C&R purchases into a log book. But what about if I acquire it without using the C&R license? Like traditional FFL background check, private face to face transactions, or even selling a gun I previously owned?

1. If I sell a C&R eligible gun that I've had in my possession BEFORE acquiring my C&R license, I still have to enter it into my log book if I sell it to another person, right? Could this get me in trouble if I do it for multiple guns?
2. If I come across a nice C&R gun at a great price, could I buy it the usual way through my FFL and undergo the normal background check process? Would I still have to enter it into my log book and would I get in trouble for selling it in the future?
3. If I buy a C&R eligible gun face to face from a private seller, would I also have to enter that into my log book as well?
View Quote
See my post on page 20 for more details, but I'll answer these questions as briefly as possible.
1. No, you do NOT have to enter a previously-owned C&R-eligible firearm into your C&R log book after you obtain your license. You did not buy it "using" your license.
2. Yes, you can buy it the usual way. I did the same thing with a Mosin at Cabela's. For whatever reason, Cabela's did not have a process/mechanism to sell me a C&R-eligible firearm to me via my C&R license. I bought it the usual way on a Form 4473. The person at ATF specifically said that I do NOT enter that one into my log book because I did not use my license to buy it. You would sell it in the usual way that you would sell any other firearm, so no, you would not get in trouble.
3. Only if the other person held a C&R license AND the firearm that you were purchasing was on their books. Both conditions have to be present. Otherwise, it would be like any other firearm sale, and you would NOT report it to the ATF when renewing your C&R FFL.
Again, please read my post on page 20 because of controversial interpretations of the rules/laws. Apparently, it seems that too many people read too much into the actual law and just make it harder on themselves.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Guys,

I'm starting my application for a C&R license, but I have a question about item 10C.  It states;

C. Are you in possession of a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States?

1. If you answered "NO," you likely cannot lawfully possess a firearm and therefore cannot be a federal firearms licensee.

2. If you answered "YES," complete the following information, and attach a copy of the hunting license or permit to the application.

I don't have a hunting license.  Does this mean ATF will turn down my application for a C&R license?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#3]
Originally Posted By JeepinCO:
Hey Guys,

I'm starting my application for a C&R license, but I have a question about item 10C.  It states;

C. Are you in possession of a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States?

1. If you answered "NO," you likely cannot lawfully possess a firearm and therefore cannot be a federal firearms licensee.

2. If you answered "YES," complete the following information, and attach a copy of the hunting license or permit to the application.

I don't have a hunting license.  Does this mean ATF will turn down my application for a C&R license?
View Quote
Section 10 is only filled out if you are a non-immigrant alien.  If you're a US citizen leave blank.  If not then fill out.  Hunting license are one way non immigrant aliens can legally posses a firearm in the US.  Just get your state hunting license.

CD
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:34:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JeepinCO] [#5]
I just got off the phone with the ATF about some questions.  Their answers seem to conflict with the information here.  The info in this post says to fill out the 5330-20, but when I talked to the ATF the gal there said it wasn't needed for a C&R license.  I don't have a Trust so is it necessary to complete this form?

Also, she said I need to send in a fingerprint card along with a passport photo.  Is this true?

Is the address still:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
P.O. Box 409567
Atlanta, Georgia 30384-9567

thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JeepinCO:
I just got off the phone with the ATF about some questions.  Their answers seem to conflict with the information here.  The info in this post says to fill out the 5330-20, but when I talked to the ATF the gal there said it wasn't needed for a C&R license.  I don't have a Trust so is it necessary to complete this form?
thanks
View Quote
It (Form 5330-20) has been dropped.
Please read my reply on page 22 regarding this and other changes to the forms.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a TT33 that I had before my C&R, that I now log into my record book as I sold it.   Now I sold it to a friend in another state so I took it to a local 01 FFL who sent it to another 01 FFL and mailed USPS.  (cheaper then me mailing thru common carrier).  Friend picked it up at his 01 FFL.  My question is who do I log it out to?  Friend is the one that paid for it.

CD
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
I had a TT33 that I had before my C&R, that I now log into my record book as I sold it.   Now I sold it to a friend in another state so I took it to a local 01 FFL who sent it to another 01 FFL and mailed USPS.  (cheaper then me mailing thru common carrier).  Friend picked it up at his 01 FFL.  My question is who do I log it out to?  Friend is the one that paid for it.

CD
View Quote
Did the 01 FFL book it in (as they should) prior to shipping to the out of state FFL?  If so, you would book it out to them, as they will book it in as coming from your 03 C&R.  
If they didn't, the out of state 01 FFL may have booked it in on your 03 C&R.  The out of state 01 FFL will book it in and then out to your friend when he picks it up.  This would be the proper 'chain of custody'.

I've consigned or shipped C&R items though my local FFL as well.  I book it out to them, even if I know the person who ultimately purchased it.
BTW, I happen to work there part-time, and this is the process we use.  They will not ship a firearm without putting it in and out of their bound book.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ker-Pow:

Did the 01 FFL book it in (as they should) prior to shipping to the out of state FFL?  If so, you would book it out to them, as they will book it in as coming from your 03 C&R.  
If they didn't, the out of state 01 FFL may have booked it in on your 03 C&R.  The out of state 01 FFL will book it in and then out to your friend when he picks it up.  This would be the proper 'chain of custody'.

I've consigned or shipped C&R items though my local FFL as well.  I book it out to them, even if I know the person who ultimately purchased it.
BTW, I happen to work there part-time, and this is the process we use.  They will not ship a firearm without putting it in and out of their bound book.
View Quote
Outgoing 01 FFL logged it in his book.  Thanks.

CD
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#10]
CD
View Quote
If you had the TT33 before you got your C&R, why did you put it in your book? You didn't have to according to Martinsburg.
For more information, please see my reply at the top of this page and on page 20.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:07:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ker-Pow] [#11]
Originally Posted By rx4spd:
If you had the TT33 before you got your C&R, why did you put it in your book? You didn't have to according to Martinsburg.
For more information, please see my reply at the top of this page and on page 20.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
CD
My understanding has always been that you are not required to log items into your book if you owned them prior to obtaining your license. However, if you sell said same item once you have your license, you must log it out in your book.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#12]
My understanding has always been that you are not required to log items into your book if you owned them prior to obtaining your license. However, if you sell said same item once you have your license, you must log it out in your book.
View All Quotes
CD
That's not how Martinsburg explained it to me, and I was asking very specific questions.

Think of it another way...
When you renew your C&R license, it asks you how many you've bought and sold. If you've read my previous replies,
you'll note that Martinsburg specifically said that you do NOT list firearms that you bought without using your license.
And that includes both before AND after you've obtained your C&R license.

How could you sell one FROM your license that you didn't acquire WITH your license?
Also, how could you log something OUT of your book that you didn't log INTO your book from another FFL-03?

Even a regular FFL dealer can have a private firearm collection buying face-to-face without a license.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
I'm an idiot. I was all ready to renew my application, had everything filled out, and then forgot about the envelopes in my briefcase until after my new license expired.

Remind me again: Do I need to fill out section "B" for "responsible person" if I'm the only one applying for the license?
View Quote
Has the form changed again? I do not see that on Form 8 (5310.11) Part II, Revised June 2014, that I used in May 2016.
Section B only asked about Gunsmithing Activities and Hours of Operation on my form.
But then again, mine was a Renewal Application and not for a first time applicant.

I just did a quick search and looked at the application. It looks like it was revised again in May 2017.
At first glance, it looks like you fill out Section B if this is your first time. Otherwise, you fill it out only if you add someone else.
It seems that they have combined multiple applications into one form, and they're trying to capture all of the different scenarios
and licenses into this one form. I think this section applies more to other licenses rather than C&R.
That's how I interpret the instructions. A quick call to Martinsburg should give you a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a question about applying for a C&R license. I'm looking to get my C&R and I live with my mom for the time being. Should she be added as a responsible person since she is retired and would most likely be home whenever any gun gets delivered? Not sure how that would work if she wasn't on the license and I wasn't there. Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jnutz19:
I've got a question about applying for a C&R license. I'm looking to get my C&R and I live with my mom for the time being. Should she be added as a responsible person since she is retired and would most likely be home whenever any gun gets delivered? Not sure how that would work if she wasn't on the license and I wasn't there. Thanks for any help
View Quote
Call and ask them
BATFE, Firearms Technology Branch
304-260-5476

FYI, I did talk to the Firearms and Explosive Imports Branch beginning of Jul.  Seems I can import C&R from Afghanistan (was restricted for awhile).  Bad news I was medevac'd out mid Jul  Gotta work on that whenever I get back on my next trip.

CD
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#17]
So, after letting my 03 expire twice, I just applied again and received it in less than a month.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Here are the dates of my recent renewal.
Mailed renewal form: 04/25/19
Received license: 07/01/19
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going for it.  Read this whole thread and MUCH of it is very outdated information.  I will glean what I can from it but a new thread of current C&R issues would probably be good.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:42:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fender_fella] [#20]
Mailed application and CLEO letter - 15 NOV 2019
CC Charged - 20 NOV 2019
License - 03 FEB 2020 - Got It!  Finally

80 days from mailbox to mailbox.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Mailed application: January 7, 2020
Received FFL O3 in mail: January 24, 2020

What is the "Information Card" in the lower left-hand corner used for?

Should I make copies with the Information Card intact on the FFL?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By All10X:
Mailed application: January 7, 2020
Received FFL O3 in mail: January 24, 2020

What is the "Information Card" in the lower left-hand corner used for?

Should I make copies with the Information Card intact on the FFL?
View Quote
Holy Crap!  I can't believe there's no way to check on the status of mine.  Still waiting since November!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:13:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#23]
Expires: 1 March 2020
Mailed Renewal: 3 Feb 2020 (from Astan)
Received at home: 24 March 2020

CD
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Mailed March 16th. $30 cashed March 19th. FFL received today
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Card charged September 18
Received today.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:29:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emt1581] [#26]
Anyone have a recent time frame?  

Sent in my application early October and haven't been charged or received the license yet.

EDIT....and it was in today's mail!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#27]
If you had a C&R 10 years ago and want to re-apply, do you have to find your old license number to put on the new app?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Got a current timeline for y'all.  Sent my app in on January 22nd, card was charged January 30th, received my license today!  May have been quicker if I hadn't fat fingered by DOB on Part B, I guess month 14 doesn't exist (should have been 12).  Now, HUGE KUDOS to the individual processing my application!  He called me last week to ask about my DOB and verify it.  They usually send a letter for clarification but he said the Post Office is going so slow (could take a few weeks) and he wanted to know if I could fill out a new Part B, sign and date it, then email it to him to speed things along.  I had it done that day.  As much as people bad mouth the ATF and government bureaucracy, this gentlemen went above and beyond. Huge thank you good Sir!  Big step in restoring some faith in the system.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:08:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: irish132] [#29]
Originally Posted By far_right:
If you had a C&R 10 years ago and want to re-apply, do you have to find your old license number to put on the new app?
View Quote
I let mine expire back in 2006 and put the license number on my app.  I would say you would need it since Part B, question 20, specifically asks if you had ever held an FFL.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By irish132:
I let mine expire back in 2006 and put the license number on my app.  I would say you would need it since Part B, question 20, specifically asks if you had ever held an FFL.
View Quote

Part B does ask if the applicant has ever held an FFL, but that doesn't mean you have to have your old number for the new application. I didn't, so they gave me a new one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Mailed my renewal on March 3rd.
Card charged March 8th.
No license yet.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#32]
All those that have 03 FFLs beware that in ATF Receiver Propose is the requirement for COLLECTORS to maintain their A&D books from 20 yrs (changed in 2016) to INDEFINENT!  This is located near the end under record keeping.

Please commit that the current rule is long enough.  We don't need to hold our books when we're in nursing/old soldiers home.

ATF 2021R-05 is the name of the proposed ruling.

CD
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#33]
On Wednesday my credit card decided to decline the $30 transaction from the ATF. Any idea if they will follow up for info or just reject the application?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I forgot to renew mine
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Mitchman705:
On Wednesday my credit card decided to decline the $30 transaction from the ATF. Any idea if they will follow up for info or just reject the application?
View Quote

Banks will usually run it twice.

CD
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I forgot to renew my c & r.
It expired but the form says mail back if you're not renewing should I still mail it back?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:42:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#37]
If you allow your C&R to expire do you have to start over from square one if you decide you'd like it again? I stupidly let mine expire in 2018 after having it for 12 years, I moved and didn't receive the renewal form on top of forgetting it was expiring.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Long dry spell with no quesitons here.  Anyone know on renewal what to put down for HOURS OF OPERATION.  I'm thinking leaving blank.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Long dry spell with no quesitons here.  Anyone know on renewal what to put down for HOURS OF OPERATION.  I'm thinking leaving blank.
View Quote

Call local ATF and put one hour down.  Wife received my renewal this week in the mail.  Now she'll forward it to me OCONUS.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Call local ATF and put one hour down.  Wife received my renewal this week in the mail.  Now she'll forward it to me OCONUS.
View All Quotes

I wrote "Not applicable" across this section as I'm not in the "Business " of selling firearms to the general public for profit. I mailed my renewal with a USPS money order on Feb. 24th and received my license on Mar. 15th, so three weeks.
Gary
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Reloder56:

I wrote "Not applicable" across this section as I'm not in the "Business " of selling firearms to the general public for profit. I mailed my renewal with a USPS money order on Feb. 24th and received my license on Mar. 15th, so three weeks.
Gary
View Quote

Have to remember that 3 yrs from now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MRW:
I just realized mine expired October 1, no renewal notice from ATF at all.  Do I call them?
View Quote

If you look up a few posts, you'll see the exact same thing happened to me. Save yourself the hassle of calling them and getting nowhere, I started over from scratch and went online requested the packet, etc. Assholes
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MRW:
I just realized mine expired October 1, no renewal notice from ATF at all.  Do I call them?
View Quote

Shred your bound book and start over.
Page / 23
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top