Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2017 12:16:37 PM EDT
I have a generic Ruger 10/22 that will be converted to use in CMP games by my 12 yr old daughter.  She wen shooting this year and competed with my AR and USGI drop in M261 adapter and did well enough I'm going to build something better.

Couple requirements:
barrel must be threaded 1/2x28 
total rifle weight less than 7.5lbs with magazine/sights.
"economical"  I don't want a $1000 (or $600 for that matter) 10/22.

I don't expect Olympic level accuracy but something she can do well with as she has potential. This is to break her into the sports...if she enjoys it then I have better smallbore target rifles she can transition to when she gets older.

My thoughts were a med weight type barrel
Tech sights ..do they have clamp on front sights?
Some sort of archangel type chassis system?

Throw me some ideas as I am completely out of my league on 10/22s

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
some suggestions for an econo build.. use factory barrel and cut enough off chamber end to have it re-cut with a match chamber... reduce head space of bolt, and limit vertical travel of the firing pin... buy a good metal trigger...use a factory sporter stock which does not have a barrel band, and cut it to fit her length of pull...

Lyman 17A style globe sight on front (if allowed) to provide a shaded front sight

if a barrel tuner is allowed... build one with 1/2-28 threads and find the best grouping commonly available ammunition...I'd try CCI Mini Mag first and Green Tag if available

if allowed bed the barrel and not just the receiver

my STC 10/22 with a .930 Clark fluted barrel would shoot 10 shots under 1" at 100y on a calm day.... bench rested with 6-24x44 Tasco World Class AO with 1/8min dot and clicks with Win Super X high velocity
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Tech Sights does have a slip on front sight that you loctite in place, but it's for bull barrels.

Been a few years since I shot Rimfire Sporter, but IIRC using peep sights puts you in the same class as scoped guns.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
if you scope it, and use an aftermarket .920+ barrel... cantilever the mount off the barrel and not the receiver
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a factory 10/22 target that came in a pink Hogue stock I bought on clearance for $229. I swapped the pink Hogue stock for a Magpul stock and added a Vortex Diamondback Rimefire scope in Vortex Rings. Once I sighted in the scope, I was shooting a tight, ragged hole in the bullseye of an NRA 100 yard smallbore target at 50 yards using Federal Automatch bulk. I'm still in awe it shoots that well. I haven't touched the barrel or factory "target" trigger.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Not all Ruger stock barrels are crap. Try with all available ammo before judging it. I have one now that will shoot Golden Bullets one holed cloverleaf groups at 25. Shoots almost as well as some of it's  HB brothers. Shocked the crap out of me as well. I got that one to be my Appleseed rifle. Been very happy. Ruger m1 with a UTG 3-9 Bugbuster, trigger job and polish. My new go to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top