Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2017 10:55:55 PM EDT
I was out back at my range shooting today and had a big mix of .22lr ammo. For some reason, I just realized all the SV, subsonic are LRN (lead round nose) and all the HV and hyper is copper coated.

I never seen subsonic coated ammo before. or even SV

Reason ?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Great question, I'd like to know, too.

Maybe something to do with the weight of the bullets?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally standard velocity ammo is designed for precision shooting like Olympic style small bore while high velocity is designed for general plinking and activities with lesser accuracy demands. Plain lead bullets are almost universally more accurate than plated  in 22's so target ammo tends not to be plated
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
... Plain lead bullets are almost universally more accurate than plated  in 22's so target ammo tends not to be plated
View Quote
Being plated has little to do with accuracy and LOTS to do with barrel leading.
Target grade rimfire ammo is rarely plated because it doesn't need to be.
Shoot plain lead at high velocity and you'll get lots of barrel leading. To minimize the leading with high velocity rimfire loadings, manufacturers plate or wash the bullets with copper or brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top