Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2017 2:20:32 AM EDT
I picked up a 2nd hand takedown a year or so ago but have never fired the thing.  I tucked it away and decided to make some minor changes to it as I found good bargains on the features I like.  I have plenty of other toys to play with so I never felt pressured to rush this one.
Tonight, though, I installed and epoxied the Uncle Mike's sling hardware and realized it was done--at least as far as I plan to take it, as long as it shoots well.

Changes since it left the factory:
--Brimstone Tier 2 trigger
--Volquartzen bolt release
--Volquartzen mag release
--Volquartzen poly recoil buffer
--Sig Romeo 5 red dot
--Uncle Mike sling swivels
--Old GI web sling
...and I hope that's all it needs.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and get in a quick run to the range to celebrate the 4th by exercising my 2nd Amendment rights.  We'll find out how it works!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you like the Romeo? I too have a takedown build in process
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#2]
The Romeo seems very solid for the price (about $125 NIB on eBay), but my range trip was interrupted today so I won't get to actually try it till this weekend.
I have Aimpoints on several of my more serious carbines but wanted something relatively inexpensive for this--but reasonably durable.  I found a review on youtube that impressed me so figured I'd give it a try.

The dot looks good--at least in the mid-range brightness settings where I'm most likely to use it.  And it fit a low base I took off an Aimpoint Micro (it came with a base but I wanted to see if it was compatible with the Micro).

You need to be pretty deliberate with the push buttons, which is good since they're not likely to respond to an inadvertent bump. Press and hold either button for about a second to turn it on, and press them both for a second to turn it off.  It has the circuitry to turn off the red dot after a couple minutes of inactivity (if the rifle is completely still), but it comes back on instantly at the slightest tremor.  I mean like if I walk into my office while the rifle is laying on the desk--my footsteps are all it takes to wake the dot.
I'm not thrilled with that because the auto-off is supposed to be a big contributor to the 40k-hour battery life.  If it activates every time someone walks into the room, the red dot will be constantly cycling on and off in the gun case.

It also comes with a rubber "bikini" style cover which I'm not fond of.  I don't like bikini covers to start with, and I'm not sure how durable these thin straps will be.

I suspect the optic will work well enough for the purpose, but based just on the limited playing I've done with it, I think if I were to do it again I'd probably spend a little more and buy a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth, the Romeo red dot worked fine on the range and was easy to zero (although I'd prefer the turret covers be attached somehow).
In the end, with the dot turned down fairly low, the rifle was shooting 1-inch (3-rd) groups at 27 paces.  I've heard people complain about unimpressive accuracy from the  take-downs, but I was perfectly happy with that.  
I did not do a lot of take-down-then-reassemble testing, though.

After printing some good groups (leaning across the hood of my truck), we started just blasting away offhand at sticks and clumps of dirt.  The rifle ran perfectly through a couple boxes of 40gr MiniMags and was a ton of fun. 

My oldest son was with me and after the first few shots said, "Man, that's a sweet trigger!"
A little later, my father-in-law came over to try it out and said, "Man, that's a sweet trigger!"
So I have to give Brimstone credit.  That mid-tier job is definitely a good value.

The only problem I had with the little rifle was when we packed to leave the farm, it ended up (along with about 600 rounds of my ammo) in my son's trunk.  It now has a new home in Indiana.

I guess I'll be keeping an eye out now for another second-hand 10/22 to play with.  
I've long been a Marlin 60 fan and won't be selling any of those, but I have to admit the Ruger is a good little rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top