Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 6:18:40 PM EDT
Okay guys if you could pick only one which would it be?

I like the weight of the the stg 22 and the wooden box it comes in if you pay the extra price.
I havent got a chance to hold the ak22.
does anyone have experience with either one of these rifles.
I do own the 1911-22 and it is smooth as butter with no issues at all. I also owned the gsg522 for awhile another great 22lr from gsg.
Doesnt seem like gsg has any problems making 22s but which one would you pick.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Okay guys if you could pick only one which would it be?

I like the weight of the the stg 22 and the wooden box it comes in if you pay the extra price.
I havent got a chance to hold the ak22.
does anyone have experience with either one of these rifles.
I do own the 1911-22 and it is smooth as butter with no issues at all. I also owned the gsg522 for awhile another great 22lr from gsg.
Doesnt seem like gsg has any problems making 22s but which one would you pick.
View Quote

I have a Gsg AK-22 and held my friends Stg-22.

The Stg-22 was cool, but it was super impractical. There were no provisions to mount an optic. My friend ended up selling it for a loss when the novelty factor wore off. From what I understand there are two different types of butt-stocks, one which is really well made, and another which was made as a cost cutting measure.

The Ak-22 looks like an AK from a few feet away, but you soon see the differences. The stock is beefier than a real ak and it is a inch or so longer overall. The gas tube, trigger guard, bolt carrier, safety lever, and some other parts are made of a strong plastic. The safety lever functions in a similar way as a real one, but is designed completely differently. The scope side rail is made of plastic and does not accept standard AK scope mounts. I purchased a GSG scope mount on ebay for ~$20 and mounted a TRS-25, which has served me well. The outer barrel is made of thin wall pipe and there is a barrel liner suspended in the middle of it. I ended up getting a Gemtec 1/2x28 thread adapter to mount my can on the rifle and it seemed to function pretty well. I fed her standard velocity CCI, CCI auto-match, and some CCI Ar tactical ammo, all of which functioned without any issues. Overall I am pleased with the purchase, I added a ak-74 sling swivel on the buttstock and carved out vent holes on the upper handguard to match a real ak.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The GSG AK look alike reminds me of the Mossberg 22 rimfire meant to resemble a AR-15.   The GSG AK-22 just doesn't appeal to me and neither do the Armscor AK look alike firearms.  The Armi Jager/Mitchell variants are a little better but the ultimate AK 22 rimfire are the Romanian AKT 98 and the later version WASR 22.  These rimfire training rifles use real AK receivers but can be troublesome as quality varies.   I bought a AKT-98 parts gun which was missing some bolt parts.  My Father in Law fabricated the parts I needed to make my AKT-98 functional.

The AKT-98/WASR 22 are more similar to weight and function of the real centerfire arms.  The STG 44 rimfire rifle is also similar to the centerfire counterpart it was manufactured to mimic.  Neither the AKT-98/WASR 22 or Stg 44 are cheap but they are fun to shoot and are good platforms for introducing novices to shooting their centerfire counterparts.  

The GSG AK-22 are functional and have decent reliability but they are not desireable to most AK purist.

Here is a photo of my AKT-98 with a BDM 25 round mag.  My AKT-98 also has 20 round AK metal mags modified to hold 10 22 rimfire cartridges.  The AKT-98 resembles a centerfire AK with the metal mag in the well.

IMG_0027 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]

Here is a picture of my AKT-98 with the metal mag in the well.

IMG_0026 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had the GSG AK22 for several years.  The original wood furniture doesn't look great up close, but if you get the polymer furniture it looks like a 100 series.  It's fun and for about $300 it's worth it.

I will tell you the downside is taking it apart for cleaning.  Don't remove the trigger pack.  It has a very weird design where the trigger reset spring is on the outside of the group.  Once you remove the trigger group the spring will bust out.  I've had to chase it across the floor more than once.  I don't do a full disassembly now when I clean, just a heads up.

I don't have nor have I had any first hand experience with an AKT trainer.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Had a chance to shoot both and then the GSG AK-22 "Rebel Edition" popped up for $229.00 so it was hard to pass up. No regrets.

Here's my GSG AK-22. Just added the triangle folder today. Since it's a .22lr, I just picked up a $25 steel airsoft triangle folding stock that was nearly a perfect replica and filed a few places a hair at a time until it fit and functioned perfect. Also opened the latch area on the stock a little bit so it would lock up solid open and closed. I got the folding adapter and solid polymer folder set just to use the folding adapter. Also pictured is my SilencerCo Sparrow Stainless suppressor with Gemtech 1/2x28 thread adapter. I am going to re-finish the grip and handguards in a deep red soon.

Playing with the idea of doing another similar AK-22 as an SBR with the front sight moved back and transplanted onto the "gas block", because why not?

If anyone knows where I can purchase the cheap GSG folding adapter without the poly stock, please let me know. I have a couple of other projects I would like to start.

I'm also looking for the black polymer GSG AK-22 furniture for one of said projects.

Anyway, onto the photos...

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top