Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2017 3:15:19 PM EDT
I found this little Chipmunk .22 rifle today. I gave $50.00 for it.

The guy said he bought it for his grandkid to use when he visited when they first came out so that would put it made in the early 80s. I think Keystone (Cricket maker) bought Rouge out around 10 years ago.

I remember them when they first came out but never paid any attention to them.

The one I got has a nice oil finished walnut stock and metal with real bluing. The only thing plastic is the butt plate. It seems built just as good as the old Boy's Rifles from back in the day but sports much better sights. They are peep sights with separate screws for windage/elevation adjustments. Crude put effective.  

Of course the LOP is too short for serious work much out beyond 30 yards but at that distance I had no trouble at all keeping all shots within minute of squirrel head. I understand you can even buy "grown-up" stocks for them now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one for my kids for awhile. It came to me via a bud of one of my brothers, whose kids had outgrown it. It's been passed on twice since my kids out grew it.

Fun little rifle.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I found this cute little Winchester 1902 at a tag sale for $20.00, It was so gummed up it didnt fire, with a little cleaning it shoots nice as hell.
I dont know if I should have it re-blued or not, I want to give it to my nephew for Christmas. It is almost Identical to the Chipmunk I gave my niece last year. Love those little guns!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Well crap, my Chipmunk did not last long.

I was talking to my neighbor about gun stuff this evening and he mentioned he needed to get his son (7) a little .22 and I mentioned the Chipmunk I had bought.

Sigh, I sold the Chipmunk to him for what I paid for it.

Meh, it will work out because he's going to help me next week with a automotive chore that requires more than two hands to do and more knowledge than I possess.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well crap, my Chipmunk did not last long.

I was talking to my neighbor about gun stuff this evening and he mentioned he needed to get his son (7) a little .22 and I mentioned the Chipmunk I had bought.

Sigh, I sold the Chipmunk to him for what I paid for it.

Meh, it will work out because he's going to help me next week with a automotive chore that requires more than two hands to do and more knowledge than I possess.
View Quote
I call Bullshit on that! Your a big softie and wanted to see a kid get that gun that can appreciate it and never forget "his first gun" You cant hide behind that"I need help" crap but we see right through you!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
That gun is the original Chipmunk. They were pretty much hand built by the guy who started the company. They are good.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
original chipmunk was my first gun, age 4. my idea if fun was a box of 50 rounds, shooting at a disc blade propped up in the field behind the farmhouse.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Red Rifle?  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I call Bullshit on that! Your a big softie and wanted to see a kid get that gun that can appreciate it and never forget "his first gun" You cant hide behind that"I need help" crap but we see right through you!
View Quote
.....Yeah, maybe a little softness there. I could just see the little fella trying to shoot that long-assed Savage Model 6 his dad has. What is also good is that he has two younger sisters that can also benefit from the Chipmunk in time.

Still and all the promised help far exceeds any small profit I could have realized from selling the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I'm happy to report that the neighbor took his boy out shooting with it. When he saw me he ran in the house and brought out his final target they had hung on the fridge. The kid did well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well I'm happy to report that the neighbor took his boy out shooting with it. When he saw me he ran in the house and brought out his final target they had hung on the fridge. The kid did well.
View Quote
Loaded with a CCI Velocitor and sporting a cheap red dot sight, that little rifle is a Turkey killing machine.
Both my boys killed their first Turkeys with one.
Good on you, OP, for passing it along.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
My first gun ever was a chipmunk, probably early 80s model. I still have it but barely.

Long story short ~ I out grew the gun and just kept it at my dads house while I did "life", pops passed away, so we cleaned up the house, found my lil chipmunk, obviously I cant even shoulder this lil thing, didnt think much of it, so I sold it to my buddy cheap to give to his Uncles kid as a Christmas present.  

A few months passed and I started to get nostalgic and a lil guilty for giving up my first ever gun as a kid, so I called my buddy up and ask him to ask his uncle about it and how they were doing with it etc. We he did and called me back, come to find out the kid was already out growing it. I said ok. I had sold it to my buddy for dirt cheap, but told him that since the kid was still needing something, I would give him what it would cost to get a new savage or cricket (they are bigger then the chipmunk) and I said Id throw in a box of .22lr ammo. So the deal was set. I got my childhood gun back and they ended up buying a gun they could actually use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top