Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2017 9:55:07 PM EDT
I just ordered one online, sight unseen, in 22LR. I love toggle-bolt actions, and I have an Ishmash Biathlon actioned rifle already. This Steyr is what I was looking for and I picked one up. Hopefully I have it in my hands within a week or so.

Steyr RFR

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I didn't realize that was a thing, except for Lugers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. I didn't realize that was a thing, except for Lugers.
View Quote
They are most popular for Biathlon shooting events. Here is my Russian blaster.

Untitled by Austin Scott, on Flickr

Untitled by Austin Scott, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Aren't those the same as the ISSC SPA 22lr?

I think they are - yours looks better but here is a link to one on GB (not mine just googled it)
link to GB

Nice to see that it is threaded.

ISSC was coming out with one that had a AI style stock on it also.

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking and from where?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Hope it's a shooter.  

I believe I ONLY handled one at shot.  Felt cheap.  I don't see much after market support, so I passed on it.  

If it's a shooter out of the box, you won't need anything.  Let us know.

Edit.   I was drawn to it because it is a Steyr and it is threaded.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
i really wanted to grab one but for the price i would have like to have seen the integral bipod like the full size scout.

i also couldn't get any information out of steyr as to when they'd be available, so i ordered a fv-sr, 2 days later the email came out that they were on the market :(

i'll grab one eventually, after i get another scout, with factory threads (i'm a fan of all things steyr)
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I hope it doesnt suck. I will post pics and initial reviews when it arrives.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#7]
looking forwards to your review!

you get it with the knife ?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Who did you order it from?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who did you order it from?
View Quote
gunprime had it listed online. I didnt get the knife. I may get it in the future. lol
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm looking hard at picking one up after handling one at NRAAM but keep in mind they're threaded 1/2-20 so you'll need an adapter if you want to shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Got it today. So far here are some initial impressions:

1. Stock is OK. Feels good, but its a little cheap.
2. Trigger is light, but has literally zero feel. You just pull and it goes off. Its just like a Geissele SD3G.
3. Magazine is polymer, not steel. So someone writing ads for it needs to learn to read.
4. Action is super slick, and very fast. Its smoother than my Izhmash biathlon rifle.
5. Nice target crown on the barrel.
6. Case it came in was nice.
7. Rifle is light and balances it really well.

Im thinking of going with a Vortex 2-7 scout scope, and this thing is probably getting a spray camo job.

IMG_0074 by Austin Scott, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_be1 by Austin Scott, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_be0 by Austin Scott, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_bde by Austin Scott, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are most popular for Biathlon shooting events. Here is my Russian blaster.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1663/24788014189_46142f16f1_b.jpgUntitled by Austin Scott, on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1522/24787866549_993b818b4c_b.jpgUntitled by Austin Scott, on Flickr
View Quote
That is sex.  Needs a thread job and a can.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet.

How much?

Hope it's a shooter
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sweet.

How much?

Hope it's a shooter
View Quote
Just under $500. I think its a touch steep, but I just hope it shoots.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just under $500. I think its a touch steep, but I just hope it shoots.
View Quote
you just had to go and post some photos..

my credit card hates you

the trigger sounds similar to my ssg69 p2k,   my scout in .308 has just a little take up before it breaks too
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
In Dec of 2016 I bought the ISSC SPA-17 from American Tactical for their then list price of $299.95.  They now list them at $599.95.
Holy crap!  But I think they may still be a good deal. 
The action feels different than my Izhmash Biathlon Basic, I think it is how and when it cocks the internals, but visually it looks like the same action.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In Dec of 2016 I bought the ISSC SPA-17 from American Tactical for their then list price of $299.95.  They now list them at $599.95.
Holy crap!  But I think they may still be a good deal. 
The action feels different than my Izhmash Biathlon Basic, I think it is how and when it cocks the internals, but visually it looks like the same action.
View Quote
They're both made by ISSC, I just wonder if there's any difference other than the stock? I've seen the American Tactical guns still selling in the $300 range so I wonder if it's worth it to pay the Steyr premium.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
In the ISSC SPA line I don't remember seeing them offered with a threaded barrel, so that adds quite a bit of straight value and convenience value to the Steyr.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In the ISSC SPA line I don't remember seeing them offered with a threaded barrel, so that adds quite a bit of straight value and convenience value to the Steyr.
View Quote
It's threaded 1/2-20 so you'll need to spend another $25+ for an adaptor.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Any range report yet? Looking forward to how accurate they are.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#21]
@CFII

Range report??
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Picked one up two days ago and I guess I'll get to see how good their customer service is.

I was checking everything out and noticed a lot of movement between the barrel and forearm. Assuming the stock probably needed some bedding I took it out of the stock and the friggin barrel is walking around in the barrel block. I can't remove the front screw to get the barrel block out to see if the set screw is loose so I'm giving up on doing anything myself.

Yay...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top