Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2017 1:23:08 AM EDT
I went out to shoot my TD for the first time a few days ago and was really pleased and really disappointed.  The gun overall is great but the trigger was insanely heavy.  I own around 30+ rifles and handguns and this is the heaviest trigger I've ever touched.

Once I got the scope on paper I was trying to get a good group centered but every time I thought I had it close it would shoot several inches off.  This is my first 10/22 (I know, I know heresy) so I don't have any past experience with them for comparison.  My sister has a Talo edition 10/22 Tactical (with the ATI Strikeforce stock) which we brought with us for comparison.  Her trigger was also heavy but it was also wider and more comfortable in addition to feeling easier to pull.  The groups we shot with hers using just a red dot were very good but both of us shooting mine struggled to keep a good group with my gun.  It was so bad that by the time I finally got frustrated and gave up (approx 200 rounds later) my trigger finger actually hurt.  Not like a little sore but actually hurt! I've never had that happen with the exception of shooting a days worth of skeet or something and even then not as bad.  I made sure the scope was tight and the mounts were good and I was shooting off a bag so it was well supported.  There was a pain in the butt wind but it was the same wind shooting her rifle and mine so I rule that out as a major factor.

I've always heard that 10/22 triggers were a bit heavy but were acceptable for plinking and such.  I don't know whether it's just mine or if that's just the reason why there are so many aftermarket triggers for them.  I can't exactly take it back since I won it in a contest from Ruger and it was sent directly from their factory to my FFL.  What say you all?  Is this just the norm and I should buy an aftermarket trigger if I want something better or does something seem wonky?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Brimstone. For the money, it's second to mone
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want the easiest way to go get a BX trigger and put it in. 10/22's are insanely easy to take apart, Look on you tube.
The BX trigger option allows you to have a decent trigger and no down time on your gun.
As another had mentioned, Take your trigger group out and send to Brimstone and for $38 plus shipping to and from brimstone you get a kick ass new trigger for your gun. Brimstone offers several other trigger packages (the middle package is $78 and the top of the line package is $110) that are more expensive and you may want to watch the videos on their website to which one is to more your liking should you go with Brimstone. The sky is the limit when it comes to modifying your Ruger 10/22, it has more after market goodies than any other 22 rifle on the market.

https://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/collections/ruger-10-22

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Bx trigger pack from grabagun.com is what I'm running
With a volquartsen auto bolt release.

Edit my 10/22 was purchased as a stripped receiver I didn't want most of the stock parts anyway
Tacsol x ring barrel, x22 stock, bx trigger, venom red dot on the magpul mount, and a tacsol axiom in jail.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the upgraded Ruger trigger and Brmstone. Like both but the Brmstne s smother.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag for interest
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm very very satisfied with my brimstone $38 package done to the "sweet spot". Honestly, it replicates my geissele ssa at way less weight closely. It's great.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a similar issue with my TD trigger.  I bought a BX. Installed it in less than 10mins then sold my factory stock trigger on the EE.

I'm sure there are nicer triggers than the BX but that was a instant fix and I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're able to zero it, then it jumps off target, it sounds more like a sight issue than the trigger.  Make sure the scope rail is secure (not just the mount/rings, but the rail itself).  The factory rail is not the best.
Then consider pulling the scope altogether and trying the iron sights to see if that's more consistent for you.

As for the trigger, Brimstone's lowest-level (less than $50 including shipping) is the best budget buy.  It's actually at least as good as the Ruger BX, and I'd say subjectively speaking, it's better.
You pull your trigger assembly and mail it to them.  About a week or so later, it comes back ready to install.
If you're willing to spend a little more, Brimstone's mid-tier job ($80-something with shipping) is even better, with a better (replacement) trigger design and a trigger stop. (Plus you can get the trigger in a fancy color if you want!)
They also modify the bolt release at all tiers.

The BX Trigger is much better than factory, but I wouldn't consider it the best option in the price range.
(It also annoys me that they don't put them in the 10/22 to start with.)

Interestingly, factory 10/22 triggers are hit and miss.  I've had them from 5 to 10 lbs--both in aluminum and poly.  Unfortunately, the design of the mechanism limits how smooth they can be made.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#9]
So triggers like this aren't unusual which means it's not a "problem" according to Ruger but just to me.  That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure before spending money on it.

I have never heard of Brimstone before.  I will definitely look into them so thanks.  I thought the BX-trigger was the cheapest option but this Brimstone place seems like a much better choice..much thanks!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Brimstone is recommended quite frequently over at rimfirecentral.

I've had five brimstone triggers done - two Tier3 (least expensive), two Tier2, and one Tier1 - and all are outstanding trigger jobs.

Tier3 is a great inexpensive option and is better than the BX triggers and DIY hammer replacements.

Tier2 replaces the trigger, changes the return spring design, and adds an overtravel stop. The feel of the Tier2 and Tier3 triggers are best described as 2-stage.  There's a small bit of take up, then a wall.  Pulling past the wall results in a nice clean break.  The Tier2 tigger pull ends immediately upon breaking the wall thanks to the over travel stop.  The Tier3 will continue a little bit but it's not bad at all (and 87 zillion times better than the factory trigger).

In contrast, the factory BX triggers I've experienced have a wall with a "plateau" after the takeup.  Once you reach the wall, you have to drag the trigger across the plateau before it fires.  See if you can find a local store to try the BX for yourself, since they can be test fired while in the packaging.

Tier1 removes all of the pre-travel takeup, turning it into a super crisp single stage trigger.  No takeup whatsoever on mine - pull the trigger and bang.  Outstanding target trigger, though if I'm taking a rifle into the field (hunting or what have you) I prefer it to have some takeup in the trigger.

My Takedown pic I posted in the X-22 backpacker thread has a Tier2 trigger job.

Anyways, I hope that helps.

-bob
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Ruger BX Trigger in my Takedown and I like it.  Good weight that's not too light and it was very easy to install.

Make sure you have your rifle adjusted correctly.  There is a section in the TD manual that describes how to set the tension for the takedown mechanism.  If you don't do that, your accuracy will suffer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Ruger BX Trigger in my Takedown and I like it.  Good weight that's not too light and it was very easy to install.

Make sure you have your rifle adjusted correctly.  There is a section in the TD manual that describes how to set the tension for the takedown mechanism.  If you don't do that, your accuracy will suffer.
View Quote
I didn't have any experience with it so my FFL guy did it for me.  He said he's done several so I gotta assume it's correct.  He showed me what he did to set it up before I brought it home but it was mainly just a quick walk through.  I'll go back through the manual and double check it.  Can't hurt.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#13]
It ain't hard.  Probably takes you longer to read the directions in the manual than what you have to do.

I shoot my TD with a receiver mounted peep. If I lost any zero between taking it down and putting it back together I never noticed.  I made quite a few shots on squirrels since I got it in 2013 till today.  And only recently have had to mess with the sights because I bought a threaded barrel for it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#14]
If you like really good triggers and are willing to pay for them, take a look at Kidd.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you like really good triggers and are willing to pay for them, take a look at Kidd.
View Quote
Truth!!  Brimstone and the BX trigger are nice though for around a quarter of the price of the Kidd.  The Kidd trigger is the best trigger I have ever felt on any gun, zero pre travel, zero over travel and a super light crisp 1.5# pull.  I can't imagine how good their 2-stage trigger must be.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#16]
As was mentioned, it sounds like your grouping problem is caused by something else.  I am willing to bet you have not properly set the barrel adjustment knob.  The instructions are in the owner's manual.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like it, I know the optics are good.  I triple checked the scope, the rings and the mount so hopefully it's the barrel.  Either way that heavy @ss trigger has gotta go or receive a good tweaking.  Guess we'll find out next time out to the range.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#18]
UPDATE:

As I mentioned in my first post I had already double checked the scope and the rings and the mount so I couldn't figure out why the accuracy was so bad.  Someone on here recommended checking the tightening of the barrel mechanism.  As I mentioned, when I picked up the rifle at my LGS the store owner had already assembled it for me and gave me a tutorial on how to take it down and all that stuff.  Since I was sure everything else was good I took the advice and watched a YouTube video explaining the best way to set the barrel's tightness (whatever the technical name is).  I did exactly what the guy in the video did and was pretty surprised that I was able to tighten it up quite a bit more compared to what it had been set at from the LGS.  I took it to the range and sure enough, it shot WAY better.  Looks like that fixed the accuracy problem so MUCH THANKS to all of you who gave me advice on here!  

The trigger itself is still heavier than hell so at some time in the near future it will be going to Brimstone (along with the trigger in my sister's 10/22) for tweaking.  Much thanks for that advice also everyone .
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Kidd is the trigger you seek.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Kidd is the trigger you seek.
View Quote
Kidd triggers have a great reputation but I don't need a competition trigger and for $36 it's an impossible deal to beat from Brimstone.  Especially on my budget.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Kidd triggers have a great reputation but I don't need a competition trigger and for $36 it's an impossible deal to beat from Brimstone.  Especially on my budget.
View Quote
Buy this: Kidd Trigger Job kit

Seriously...the best $105.00 you can spend on a 10/22.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Buy this: Kidd Trigger Job kit

Seriously...the best $105.00 you can spend on a 10/22.
View Quote
Have you tried a brimstone?

OP, thanks for the update
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I took the trigger pack out of my TD 10/22 and put in a BX trigger. Worth it.

Took the factory trigger pack and placed it in the 1022 I am selling that I took the BX out of
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I sent off my takedown trigger to Brimstone for their Tier 2 trigger work. I'm really impressed with what I received back. I have 2 more 10/22s and am trying to decide if I save $ with Tier 3 on each or just go for Tier 2 since I was so happy with it. I'm wondering how much of what I like would be available in the Tier3 pkg and save me ~$70 if I just do both with Tier 3.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I took my new takedown out today for the first time.  I had put a cheap astronomy red dot on, until I can decide on a scope.  I spent the morning shooting a little orange disk hung from a tree limb.  It was a hoot.  When winter gets here, I will send it in for either a tier 1 or 2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top