Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 10:07:13 AM EDT
Does anyone know of a small red dot (Bushnell TRS-25 size-ish) that has a 3/8" rimfire dovetail mount? We have a Tasco, but it is so big and just seems out of place on my kids youth .22s. I would like to find something that can mount direct without the use of a scope base to keep it as low as possible. I have looked around a bit and have either missed them, or no one makes one.

I am surprised that Primary Arms or Bushnell hasn't jumped on this with how popular youth 22s are these days.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use a rail adapter and any normal red dot, in my experience. That's what I did when I still had a rimfire.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can use a rail adapter and any normal red dot, in my experience. That's what I did when I still had a rimfire.
View Quote
That's correct, however my little ones can't get a good cheek weld with much elevation to the sight. I was hoping to keep it as low as possible in an attempt to help with the fundamentals as much as possible. All of the pics I have seen using a rail and then red dot on top are a lot higher than they need / should be for a kid.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pyramyd Air
View Quote
Thanks, but those are all bigger than the TRS-25, or have to mount to a rail. I may have to get creative and go with a Primary Arms red dot with the removable base and see if I can tweak the base to work with the rimfire dovetail.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried a TRS-25 red dot with a 3/8 dovetail to picatinney rail adaptor on my Remington 552 Speedmaster and I didn't care for it.

Not just the height but the whole setup looked cobbled up and was too top heavy.

I've only seen one lightweight red dot that fits on a 3/8 dovetail, it's sold under a few different names but all the reviews are pretty bad on average. I think the NCStar version is like 10 bucks.

Wound up mounting a Tasco 4x15 scope, would have rather had an unmagnified red dot but this works and they're available from Amazon Or Academy Sports for 7 bucks, so uber cheap.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's correct, however my little ones can't get a good cheek weld with much elevation to the sight. I was hoping to keep it as low as possible in an attempt to help with the fundamentals as much as possible. All of the pics I have seen using a rail and then red dot on top are a lot higher than they need / should be for a kid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The UTG unit I found adds no height. Afaik.
I'll try to find a link.

Eta.  Like these. Try these.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If money is no object,  Eotech makes a rimfire model.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If money is no object,  Eotech makes a rimfire model.
View Quote
Interesting, I had no idea they made a rimfire version. It is pretty big though, so I will have to pass on it for the kids rifles, but might see a new project in MY future....
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tried a TRS-25 red dot with a 3/8 dovetail to picatinney rail adaptor on my Remington 552 Speedmaster and I didn't care for it.

Not just the height but the whole setup looked cobbled up and was too top heavy.

I've only seen one lightweight red dot that fits on a 3/8 dovetail, it's sold under a few different names but all the reviews are pretty bad on average. I think the NCStar version is like 10 bucks.

Wound up mounting a Tasco 4x15 scope, would have rather had an unmagnified red dot but this works and they're available from Amazon Or Academy Sports for 7 bucks, so uber cheap.
View Quote
Do you recall what adapter you used? Was there a riser on the TRS at all? All the pictures I have found show the TRS on a section of rail, up high and just look goofy. That UTM adapter linked in the other thread might be an option though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I would try one of these, not super low but good quality.
http://www.bkltech.com/Dovetail-to-Weaver-Picatinny-Adaptor-Mounts-s/7.htm
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Vortex Optics makes a red-dot base for their Razor Red Dot. See the links below. I have one mounted on a Sig Trailside, and it works awesome. Very small and light weight.

Razor Red Dot

3/8" Rail Adapter

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Vortex Optics makes a red-dot base for their Razor Red Dot. See the links below. I have one mounted on a Sig Trailside, and it works awesome. Very small and light weight.

Razor Red Dot

3/8" Rail Adapter

http://oi331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/blindfaith429/Trailside_zps9dako9os.jpg
View Quote
Interesting. This has my attention. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Pyramid Air  has this for ten bucks.  A low 3/8 dovetail to weaver adapter.

3/8 dovetail to weaver adapter

Combined with a microdot it can be a small package.

The above razor dot link gets you to a video for mounting sights on pistols.

I have a first generation Primary Arms micro dot that I liked on my ruger 22/45.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#14]
read down about 5 posts  just what u ar3e looking for if i read ur post

good luck

1texan
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I posted the very same question about 2 weeks ago.

I searched and just decided to go with a BKL rail adapter. I agree with you it does mess up the check weld but it being a red dot makes up for the poor check weld.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top