Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2017 11:46:19 PM EDT
I have been looking at getting a .22LR bolt gun to mess around with. I have narrowed it down to either a CZ 455 vs Ruger American vs Savage B22 vs Savage Mark II. I will be throwing a lower powered scope on it. Price ~$300 and I will keeping it stock.

I am also looking to get a semi, and narrowed it down to either a Ruger 10/22 vs Savage 64 vs Savage A22. I will be keeping it stock as well and open sights. 

Just curious what you guys would go with. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
If you do the 10/22 and Ruger American Rimfire, they will share common mags.

For the semi, since you will be keeping it stock, any would probably do you okay. the 10/22 will give more options if you decide to upgrade / customize later down the road.

Just something to think about
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have been looking at getting a .22LR bolt gun to mess around with. I have narrowed it down to either a CZ 455 vs Ruger American vs Savage B22 vs Savage Mark II. I will be throwing a lower powered scope on it. Price ~$300 and I will keeping it stock.

I am also looking to get a semi, and narrowed it down to either a Ruger 10/22 vs Savage 64 vs Savage A22. I will be keeping it stock as well and open sights. 

View Quote

Of the bolts you mentioned, the CZ is by far the highest quality.  If money was not a concern, it's the one I'd get.  If money was a concern, I'd see the Ruger as the best balance between quality and cost.

For the semi, I'd choose none of those listed.  I go against grain on 10/22s; I *don't* like them.  There is something about the relationship between the height of the receiver and position of the trigger group relative to the buttstock that is extremely uncomfortable for me,  but YMMV.  I also find that 10/22s as a rule have mediocre to crap accuracy without lots of money spent on upgrades.  I know nothing about the Savage semis.  My number one choice for semi auto 22 is a Marlin Model 60.  It just works and, unlike the 10/22, it will shoot straight without pouring money into it.  The stock also has a higher comb and gets along better with a scope, without adding an aftermarket stock.  If you just really dislike the tube feeding of the Model 60, then the Marlin 795 is an option, being the exact same gun except fed by detachable magazines.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
As noted above the CZ 455 is superior by far to the others.   In fact they are well enough made that it's something you can hand down to your kids, grandkids etc, and have it be something they will be proud to own.

As for a semi auto, I'm not anti 10/22 by any means, but I also well aware that 10/22s are not what they used to be.

I'm 52 and am born in the same year as the 10/22.  When I was a sprout I lusted in my heart for a 10/22 as they were well made carbines that were very close in size weight and over all execution to the M1 Carbine, and were also high quality .22 LRs with walnut stocks, metal (alumiunum) butt plates and very good overall quality.

The started sliding down hill when Ruger did away with the walnut stocks and the metal butt plates and then took another decline with the polymer trigger housings - not so much due to the polymer housing, but due to the overall decrease in quality in fit and finish that appeared at the same time.

In short, they went from being a quality pride of ownership type of adult .22 LR carbine to being more or less a starter kit for an adult Lego set, with a low initial quality in order to achieve a low initial purchase price - with the expectation that a significant number of 10/22 purchasers are just going to use it as a starting point for a whole bunch of after market parts and accessories.

Consequently, my advice is to look around for a pre-1982 walnut stocked model in excellent condition.   You'll probably pay about $100 than you would for a new 10/22 carbine, but it'll be worth every penny.  

Then consider adding a peep sight to take advantage of the greater accuracy of these older carbines:

Or add a decent scope to it:

If you're going to buy a more recent 10/22 look for one of the 18" "deluxe" rifles with no barrel band.  They also have wood stocks and are generally better made.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool thanks for the advice guys. What about the Ruger American Target? I really like the stock and barrel.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool thanks for the advice guys. What about the Ruger American Target? I really like the stock and barrel.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html
View Quote
It's on my short list to replace my Savage Mk2 if it turns out to have good accuracy.  Its pretty new though, not much feedback on it yet.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's on my short list to replace my Savage Mk2 if it turns out to have good accuracy.  Its pretty new though, not much feedback on it yet.
View Quote
Cool! I would like to have a 10/22 with a Magpul stock, and a shorter bull barrel. Would I be better off getting the cheapest one I can find since I will be replacing the barrel/stock, or something like this:

http://www.clarksvillegunsandarchery.com/product.ruger-1022-target-tactical-sa-22-lr-1612-101-hogue-overmolded-stk-blk
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#7]
CZ for the bolt gun and if you want to customize the 10/22. If you aren't I'd go with a M&P 15
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cool! I would like to have a 10/22 with a Magpul stock, and a shorter bull barrel. Would I be better off getting the cheapest one I can find since I will be replacing the barrel/stock, or something like this:

http://www.clarksvillegunsandarchery.com/product.ruger-1022-target-tactical-sa-22-lr-1612-101-hogue-overmolded-stk-blk
View Quote
If you are going to replace the barrel and stock, find the cheapest thing you can get.  The only parts you're going to use from the factory gun are the receiver and trigger group, basically.

For that matter, if you really wanted to cheap out, try to find a used one at a pawn shop.  They often go a little cheaper that way.  Even better, find one that's mostly scrapped out and being sold off super cheap.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CZ for the bolt gun and if you want to customize the 10/22. If you aren't I'd go with a M&P 15
View Quote
I've been eyeing these for a while. What's your impression of it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've been eyeing these for a while. What's your impression of it?
View Quote
I don't own one but a friend of mine does - I really like shooting it. My 10/22 has had a bunch of stuff done to it and I had it before the M&P came out. If I were starting fresh today, I'd go with the M&P.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I was immensely impressed by the CZ I shot a few years ago.

LASER BEAM.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are wanting to save money on magazines I would look at rifles that share the same magazine, such as going with the Ruger American Rimfire bolt rifle and then the Ruger 10/22.  The Ruger American Rimfire has an adjustable trigger (similar to Savage accutrigger) and you can put a drop in Ruger factory BX trigger in the Ruger 10/22.

I have not shot the new Savage bolt B22 or the new Savage semi auto A22, but I do know that they also share the same Ruger style rotary magazine.  Both rifles have the accutrigger.  Savage makes accurate rifles.

I don't think Savage has announced but I would imagine that they are phasing out the Mark II bolt and the 64 semi auto rimfire rifles because there are rebates on them.  I do know that they do not share magazines.  The Mark II bolts usually have the accutriggers and are accurate rifles.  Probably phasing out Mark II's and 64's to be replaced by this new A22 semi auto and B22 bolt rimfire family.

CZ 455's are nice rifles and very accurate.  Have you looked at the CZ 512 semi auto rifle?  Those use the CZ 455 magazine.  They are supposed to be pretty nice.  You'll spend more on the CZ but they are solid rifles.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Faced with your decision, I'd go with a CZ bolt action and a Marlin model 60.  You can still find a new CZ 452 if you'd prefer.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Having had both the savage 64 and the 10/22 I would definitely recommend against the 64. They are known for magazine and feeding problems due to a strange magazine design and loose fit between the mag and the mag well. The 10/22 had been much better to me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As for a semi auto, I'm not anti 10/22 by any means, but I also well aware that 10/22s are not what they used to be.
View Quote
A fairer statement is that a 10/22 can be anything you want it to be.  Plenty of configurations available from Ruger, TacSol, Kidd, Volquartsen, Magnum Research, etc.  Ruger alone seems to offer a zillion different versions.  The only limits to what a 10/22 can be are your wallet and your imagination.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#17]
What is your plan for the rifles?  I know you want to keep them stock. Are you going to shoot iron sights, scope, or red dot?  Are they for hunting or varmits, target shooting for accurate groups, or just plinking cans?  

If you are going to put a decent scope on and try to shoot small things at 50+ yds I would pick the cz for the bolt gun.
For plinking, i would get a savage mkII fvsr. Small, handy, suppressor ready if you decide to get one later on.
For the semi auto I would go with the 10/22. They are cheap, plentiful, and reliable. They are about like a glock, kinda cheapish, not the most ergonomic or accurate, but everybody will say they just work all the time.  
The 10/22 can be greatly improved with little money. Diy trigger job, polishing, etc. if you end up wanting better groups or a different stock you will have an almost endless ammount of options down the road.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#18]
There are many options available for the Ruger 10/22 Carbine . It's a great little rifle that can put rounds down range and hit what your aiming at. And if you decide that you want to upgrade, the options are endless.

I've done some plinking with the Ruger American Rimfire #8334. Cool little rifle. Has an adjustable comb, smooth action and with a heavier barrel (Threaded 1/2" -28). It's plenty accurate. It's also uses 10/22 magazines (10rd, 15rd and 25rd).

Quoted:

View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top