Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2017 7:48:22 PM EDT
So I randomly wandered into my local Dick's yesterday and saw a Rossi Matched Set and was really impressed for a price of $150.  Does amyone have amy experience?  I am saying that it is for my young son but mostly just because it seemed really cool.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Would never buy a Rossi handgun again after experiencing one years ago. Does not mean long guns aren't ok.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Rossi offers all sorts of caliber combinations , some two barrel and some three, I believe you can order extra barrels down the road.

Not sure if the sights are decent or not, same on the trigger. Trigger would be basic and most any gunsmith should be able to clean it up .

.410 blows . Ammo is fairly expensive and doesn't throw much shot so it is hard to hit anything.

I was looking at the Rossi page and I kind of liked the 20ga-44 Mag set. A fairly small kid could handle light field loads (they are pretty heavy guns) and 44spl and then when the kid gets older 44Mag in a rifle barrel is plenty for hogs or deer at reasonable range
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one for a long time, gave it to a buddy. I honestly didn't shoot the .22 much the 410 was fun. I could hit milk jigs at 50 yards with a slug, killed a few squirrels with bird shot. The gun I had was synthetic stocked and was super light, making it great to pack in the woods for snakes and such. I've looked at getting another and just havent. I liked it and would recommend for a good light woods gun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had one for a long time, gave it to a buddy. I honestly didn't shoot the .22 much the 410 was fun. I could hit milk jigs at 50 yards with a slug, killed a few squirrels with bird shot. The gun I had was synthetic stocked and was super light, making it great to pack in the woods for snakes and such. I've looked at getting another and just havent. I liked it and would recommend for a good light woods gun.
View Quote
For the cost that's sort of what I was thinking.  I know the limitations of .410, however I ran my grandfather's Savage breaktop when I was five or six until I got my first Winchester 20 gauge when I was eight or so. .410 is great, it's a subjective thing I guess.  I guess I'm mostly interested in the accuracy potential from the .22 barrel.  If I can drop a squirrel at an OK range it'll be fine by my boy at 5 or so.  If he goes how my father raised me it'll be .22 at five or six, good pump shottie around ten, a good .22 pistol at 12 or so, a nine mil around 15.  It's a good program.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Becareful.  There is a regular and youth model.  From I can tell, the barrels don't interchange. between models.

I have a Rossi youth 22/410 I bought for 75 bucks from walmart last fall.  It is something fun to shoot and very simple.  I usually bring it to the range when I have a collection of bottles to shoot.  The shell/case ejection always makes me chuckle.  I keep it as a quick field gun in the bag with ammo in both calibers.

Quoted:
So I randomly wandered into my local Dick's yesterday and saw a Rossi Matched Set and was really impressed for a price of $150.  Does amyone have amy experience?  I am saying that it is for my young son but mostly just because it seemed really cool.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
It's an ideal youth rifle, IMO. And, let's face it: it's a fun adult gun, too.
Practical accuracy is greatly increased by installing an aperture sight; the ones for the T/C Contender fit perfectly, and it's already D&T. Depending on the ammo you shoot, you might need to make a new front sight. Since it's an insert, if you can cut a halfway decent rectangle in steel (or even hard plastic), you can easily make any height you need.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's an ideal youth rifle, IMO. And, let's face it: it's a fun adult gun, too.
Practical accuracy is greatly increased by installing an aperture sight; the ones for the T/C Contender fit perfectly, and it's already D&T. Depending on the ammo you shoot, you might need to make a new front sight. Since it's an insert, if you can cut a halfway decent rectangle in steel (or even hard plastic), you can easily make any height you need.
View Quote
Good idea with the peep sight,  I will look into that!  I think I am pretty much set on grabbing one of these, I think I will run up next pay and grab one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a walmart in your area selling guns, I'd give them a call first.

I've seen posts be people still picking up guns from last summer's clearance sale.

Quoted:

Good idea with the peep sight,  I will look into that!  I think I am pretty much set on grabbing one of these, I think I will run up next pay and grab one.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Like most things Rossi, I suspect there's a great deal of variation as Quality Assurance isn't a Rossi strong suit.

That said, I also spent $150 on a .22 LR / .410 matched pair.

I found that accuracy was pretty uninspiring, but given the crude stock sights I figured it would improve with a peep sight and better front sight.  

There was some improvement - but not much, as there were still 3-4 fliers per 10 shot group.   Below is a pretty typical group at 50 yards with Sk Std Plus ammo.  

I went one step farther and mounted a scope on it to see if it improved it's accuracy or consistency.  It didn't.

Now... whether you regard it as accurate enough or not, depends on what you regard as suitable accuracy and in particular what you regard as an "Ok" range for squirrel hunting.

My CZ 543s and Model 52s will all produce 1.25" or a bit better 5 shot groups at 100 yards and 1.5" or a bit better 10 shot groups at 100 yards, and I regard all of them as viable squirrel rifles out to 100 yards with a one shot PK on a squirrel of about 90% at that range.

This particular matched pair's .22 LR barrel would probably get the job done at 50 yards about 60-70% of the time.   That's not sufficiently accurate in my opinion so I'd probably back the effective range off to 35-40 yards.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Rossi 20 Gauge/.22 and it is a fun little gun, very light, with a 20 gauge slug kicks like a mule, I keep it by the back door for bears in the middle of the night if needed, I only paid $65 bucks for mine and have never had any regrets in buying it, I would not hesitate to buy another one, it is a great little gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one recently and sold it off quickly!  Cheaply made and the sights were awful. Not built to anything I would trust above plinking. And even with that I expect the plastic sights will break off. It wasn't even very accurate. I used to own a Springfield m6, I sold it cause I hated that trigger and sight also. The only combo gun I would even entertain getting at this point would be a old savage 24. If you want a single shot youth to start a young shooter get a old chipmunk or new cricket. If you were thinking of it as some sort of pack gun I would seriously look for other options.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you have a walmart in your area selling guns, I'd give them a call first.

I've seen posts be people still picking up guns from last summer's clearance sale.
View Quote
There's bound to be a clearance this summer too, they do it every year. Based on sales in my area I look for the Rossi lever action carbines to be on the list(the .44 locally has sat for 2 years) and maybe Remington 783's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top