Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2017 11:43:38 PM EDT
Title is pretty self-explanatory. I'm in the market for 2 mag-fed semi-auto 22LR rifles as I have registered my brother and I for an Appleseed.

So far I have been looking at either $199 + tax for a 10/22 in a composite stock or $145 for a Marlin 795. Of course tech sights and such I am budgeting an additional $100 per rifle on top of the initial purchase price.

I'm really leaning towards the Marlin due to price. Is there a case to be made that the 10/22 is worth the extra $65 each in this instance? Are there any other options I haven't considered?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak with authority about the Marlin since even though I own one (I paid $99 for it new a few years ago IIRC), I haven't actually shot anything with it yet.

But I have been to two Appleseeds, using a 10/22 both times, and the one thing that comes to mind is ease of reloading of the magazines. You will do a lot of mag reloading. Have I mentioned that you will be reloading mags a lot?

I think that the Ruger mags are easy to load, and if you get the clear plastic see-thru ones you can tell at a glance how many rounds are in each one. IIRC you will be loading some mags with 2 rds, others with 5 or 8 rds or whatever. So ease of loading and ability to tell at a glance how many rds. are in the mag will be important.

The Marlin is a bit lighter in weight than the Ruger, and that might be important for some.

(Oh - and it's a total coincidence that my post count for this post is 1022 LOL!)
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the Marlins.  They shoot great, and are reliable.  The only reason I'd ever purchase a 10/22 over a 795 is for the aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the Marlins.  They shoot great, and are reliable.  The only reason I'd ever purchase a 10/22 over a 795 is for the aftermarket parts.
View Quote
This pretty much exactly. I earned my patch first go-around, and a Marlin 795 helped me do it.

I still want to build a kick ass Appleseed specific 10/22 but, for the investment, the 795s are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I left the Appleseed program about 10 years ago.  At that time people were singing the praises of the Marlin 795.  

Cheaper than a 10/22.  Accurate.  Reliable.  Tech Sights was making great sights for them.  Just add a sling swivel set up (for the GI 1&1/4" wide web sling) and get 2 or 3 extra magazines for it.  Then find some ammo (.22's can be funny about ammo - what works well/shoots well in one won't be the same for another) that is reliable and accurate and you'll have what you need from the rifle end of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The 10-22 is worth the extra money. They aren't that much more and are a superior mechanical object. The Marlin isn't a bad gun but it has a lot more parts, and more aggravating qualities like the protruding mag and mag disconnect. Also only the 200 model tech sight is available for it. It is overly complicated. The 100 is the way to go.

The mags are about $20 a copy instead of about half that. Zinc receiver. If you get a 10-22, swivels and sling, BX trigger or send your trigger to Brimstone for their cheapest trigger job, and some tech 100 sights, you will have a sho nuff rifle. Just make sure the screws that hold the barrel on and the action screw is tight.

The 795 isn't a bad gun but the 10-22 is just a better piece of equipment
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for the 795
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always shot Appleseed with 10/22's though the guys shooting Marlins seemed to do just fine.

Cheapest rifle I EVER shot an Appleseed with was a Savage Mk II bolt gun with a 4x Tasco scope that I bought at a pawn shop for $50. Damn gun shot really well and I had no problem running the bolt fast enough to make time in all stages. Makes a semi auto seem like cheating!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 10-22 is worth the extra money. They aren't that much more and are a superior mechanical object. The Marlin isn't a bad gun but it has a lot more parts, and more aggravating qualities like the protruding mag and mag disconnect. Also only the 200 model tech sight is available for it. It is overly complicated. The 100 is the way to go.

The mags are about $20 a copy instead of about half that. Zinc receiver. If you get a 10-22, swivels and sling, BX trigger or send your trigger to Brimstone for their cheapest trigger job, and some tech 100 sights, you will have a sho nuff rifle. Just make sure the screws that hold the barrel on and the action screw is tight.

The 795 isn't a bad gun but the 10-22 is just a better piece of equipment
View Quote
Seems like solid logic
I built a 10/22 Appleseed with tech sights years ago but never went to a shoot
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't need to buy a NIB Ruger 10/22 or a new Marlin for that matter.  I once went into a pawn shop and made a deal for two 10/22s.  They were even equipped with the metal trigger groups.  And, the shop even gave me a discount for buying two at the same time. Not to mention, I also saved on the paperwork/fees.  

OK, so me.....I like my 10/22s.  Lots of parts and mags.  Info on mods are all over the place and think about the resale value.   Should you ever need to sell them off.   Yup, 10/22s are popular and selling them is no problem.

BUT....I've never owned a Marlin 22LR.  OK, Ok, ok....I do own a Marlin 39A but, that's a horse of a different color.

Bottom line:  IMHO, get the 10/22.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with the 795. It's the detachable magazine version of the best-selling .22 rifle in history. Can't go wrong with that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Appleseed instructor here.

The 10/22 is worth the extra coin, plus the mags drop free with no fuss.

Most Appleseed instructors have a loaner rifle or two available. We're happy to let students use them for the class.

I'll be happy to connect you with instructors for your event, if you know when and where you are attending. Drop me a PM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top