Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 9:20:56 AM EDT
Building a 10/22 to be a multi-use rifle. The main thing I am going to use it for is rimfire steel shoots. However, I also have plans of taking this rifle to at least 1 Appleseed shoot.

For the Rimfire Steel Shoot, I was thinking a red dot would be plenty good, fast, and light.

For the Appleseed shoot, since it is more of a slow-fire, precision shoot, I was thinking about a low power scope.

The best compromise, to me, sounds like a 1-4 type scope, where I can put it on 1X for the Steel Shoot, and then up to 4X for the Appleseed.

The only down-side would be the weight, being heavier than a red dot. Although, it wouldn't be THAT much more.

Having never done an appleseed shoot, and I know people use upgrades Irons, I am wondering if I even need a 4X scope, and if a red dot (with a small MOA dot) would be precise enough.

Any thoughts???

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Fixed 2x Nikon scope.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be watching this thread as well.  I'm looking at rimfire rifle scopes myself as i don't yet own one.  If it were me, it's lean toward the 1-4x scope as i just think it lends itself to being more useful for many types of shooting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually forgot about Nikon. I was looking at the Vortex scopes, and the lower-end Leupold's. I've had Nikons in the past that I was more than happy with.

This one actually caught my eye (no pun intended).

Nikon Monarch 3, 1-4 X 20mm
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I got the Nikon 3-9 with adjustable objective for both of my RWS air rifles as the scope adjusts for 5 yards paralex. I have a 2x EFR on my Rossi 92 as a scout setup. Very nice glass.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Building a 10/22 to be a multi-use rifle. The main thing I am going to use it for is rimfire steel shoots. However, I also have plans of taking this rifle to at least 1 Appleseed shoot.

For the Rimfire Steel Shoot, I was thinking a red dot would be plenty good, fast, and light.

For the Appleseed shoot, since it is more of a slow-fire, precision shoot, I was thinking about a low power scope.

The best compromise, to me, sounds like a 1-4 type scope, where I can put it on 1X for the Steel Shoot, and then up to 4X for the Appleseed.

The only down-side would be the weight, being heavier than a red dot. Although, it wouldn't be THAT much more.

Having never done an appleseed shoot, and I know people use upgrades Irons, I am wondering if I even need a 4X scope, and if a red dot (with a small MOA dot) would be precise enough.

Any thoughts???

Thanks!
View Quote

I think you've got partially mutually exclusive requirements. You might be best served getting 2 different optics mounted in QD rings (if there is such a thing for rimfire) and switching as needed. My observation has been that 1-4 variables tend to be on the heavy side as well.

Leupold makes a nice fixed 4x that can be had for around 200. It'd be great for your Appleseed shoot. For a red dot I've been using Primary Arms T1 look alike. I'm happy with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top