Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2017 4:16:49 PM EDT
Question!!

Do I SBR my 15-22 or buy a dedicated upper .22lr upper for my SBR I already have?

Goal is to use 15-22 mags since we have a much of them laying around...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I was originally going to sbr my 15-22, but decided to use a lower that was already SBRed.  I used an adapter that allows a standard lower to accept 15-22 mags, and it runs great.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have the name of the adaptors you used?  Great looking setup!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have the name of the adaptors you used?  Great looking setup!
View Quote
Redi-mag adapter

Here you go
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I did the same as Oilfield Trash did... 9" CMMG upper with a Boonie Packer Better Mag adapter and 15-22 mags....
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I went 4.5" deidctaed upper and I'm glad I did. It's neat to have a "real" AR .22lr setup with real parts, and I share my SBR lower with other uppers for now, I need to build a simple braced pistol lower as well to use when my SBR lower is in use elsewhere. (Plus I should be able to carry it in the truck loaded as a pistol in OK)

I hear the Redi-Mag adapter + MP-15/22 mags is the way to go, I'm planning to get one for mine.

A 4.5" 22LR with a suppressor under the hand guard and a red dot is pretty hard to beat for fun!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with above, SBRing another standard AR lower is the way to go.

1. The S&W receiver is polymer
2. The S&W receiver has proprietary issues for changing things out (like the barrel nut and therefore the handguard)
3. The versatility and flexibility that a standard receiver has
4. If you already have a SBR lower you can get the short upper immediately and use it while waiting on the paperwork for the additional receiver

FWIW, I just went through this exact thought process last month. I ended up ordering a CMMG 4.5" barrel and bolt, a CMMG 22 charging handle, and the better mag adapter. I couldn't be happier - it makes a very nice setup.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I will definitely build a dedicated upper for a my SBR lower and form 1 another in the mean time...  Do the Redi-Mags insert into the lower or on top of the magazines?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#9]
it inserts from the bottom of the magwell and then a small second piece slides in around the bolt catch as the adapter comes up.

A spring loaded detent holds it in place while you swap mags.

It slides right back out for removal.

The standard mag catch holds the mags in place, the adapter just keeps the top of the mag in the proper position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top