Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2017 10:18:52 AM EDT
Just wanted to hop on and share a couple of snapshots I took. This is the first gun I ever shot and was later gifted to me by the family friend that took me out shooting. I can honestly remember the first shot I ever took and how it felt. It's a Marlin 990 built in 1985 and I first got my hands on it in 1986. We went out shooting many times with it and around 1989 it was gifted to me. I've shot thousands of rounds though it but in 1992 I bought my first AR15, then my second, third, fourth... The little Marlin has sat at the back of my safe, only to be brought out on occasion when I was taking a new shooter out. It's sat unfired for around 13 years.

I now have kids of my own and decided to breathe some new life into the old 22. Cabelas had a Vortex 4-12 40AO on sale for 120.00 and with the Cabelas cash I had I got it for around 90.00, I then bought a Leapers mount for around 15.00 from Amazon and took it shooting for the first time last week.

Wow, seriously wow I haven't had this much fun at the range in years. This little thing has a decent enough trigger but it's a tack driver and it just FUN to shoot. I kept telling myself, I need to go but I'll just load it up ONE more time. I must have done that for 100 rounds :)

Some quick details on the gun. Marlin 990 build in 1985, it has the 22in barrel, 18 round capacity and it was the first year of the bolt hold open so it has all the goodies. Here are some before and after pictures, I have since removed the sun shade.

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle. I like that you're bringing new life to it.

Is it essentially a Marlin Model 60? Looks similar...
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice rifle. I like that you're bringing new life to it.

Is it essentially a Marlin Model 60? Looks similar...
View Quote
Thank you, you can't tell from those pics but it's been ridden hard and put away wet but mechanically it's great.

You're correct, it's a "deluxe" Model 60. It used to have a sight hood that fell off decades ago and has a checkered walnut stock. Since this was built in 85 it's the first year to have a bolt hold open plus is still has the 22in barrel with the 18 round magazine which they later cut.

I remember being around 17 or so and having a gun guy that I really respected telling me how this rifle wasn't any good and I needed to get a 10/22. I had been down on this gun for a long time as being just a cheap pos but now that I have much more perspective that guy was full of crap.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome! I was given an old, non-functioning Model 60 and refinished it and brought it up to speed. Man, it's one of my favorite rifles now. Super accurate and just a lot of fun.

I'm glad you are experiencing the same. The 10/22 is great, but the Marlins are a fun animal themselves.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Those are fine shooting rifles. Glad it is back on the line in the hands of the next generation. That's what it's all about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top