Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2017 9:09:12 AM EDT
So I recently picked up a 10/22 with a really nice factory stock. Even though its the standard "carbine" stock, it actually has some nice grain to it.

I purchased the rifle to build into a light-weight gun to use for Steel rimfire shoots, and to use for an Appleseed rifle.

I am torn between a few stocks now that I like, each has their own pro's and cons.

Option 1: AGP Side-Folder.
    Pros: I really like the look and the style of the stock, and I like the Tan version. LOP is shorter on the stock, and is the only option that is a side-folder.
    Cons: The only down-side is the weight, coming in at about 1 lb 12 oz. I could possibly drill some holes in the stock to lighten it up a little, would have to see it in person to see if that is possible.

Option 2: Hogue Overmold (Standard, not thumb-hole)
    Pros: Comfortable stock, have shot a rifle with this before and I liked it. Can get it in some cool colors (I like the Lava Red, Gillie Green, and the Tan). Cost on this is also nice, can find a take-off for $50 or $60.
    Cons: Weight again, listed at roughly 2 lbs. Slightly heavier than the AGP. Also, I have heard people say they can be too flexible and cause pressure points on the barrel when shooting off a bag or bi-pod. Not sure if this is fact or just internet myths.

Option 3: Standard Stock
    Pros: Cheap, esspecially if I get a regular carbine take-off. I can drill holes into the wood to lighten up the stock. Can also cut the back off to customize the LOP and add a regular rubber recoil pad to make it look decent. Can rattle-can it any color I want, or use a texture paint.
    Cons: Cost if I decide to go with a nicer stock (Like the DSP) or if I try to find a take-off "compact" stock that already has the nicer but-plate and cut down LOP.

On a side note, I am of smaller stature, so I do like reduced LOP stocks. That is why the AGP and the cut-down wood stock is some-what of a plus. Not sure if the Hogue stocks can be cut down.

If anybody has any thoughts, or has handled these stocks, or has used them for steel / appleseed, please feel free to chime in.

Also, I have looked at the Axiom. I know it is one of the lightest on the market, and popular for plate shooting, but I just dont care for the looks of it (plus I have heard they are too flexible too, but again, not sure how true).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally wouldn't worry about weight. 10/22's are light no matter which of those stocks you go with as long as you don't put a bull barrel on it. if this was going to be a backpacking rifle then maybe shaving off every extra .oz would make sense but not for your stated purposes. Same thing with folding stocks, if you just think they are cool then that's one thing but they have little to no practical purpose on a 10/22

Normally I'd tell you to get the Hogue but the nylon version, not the overmold version. The nylon version is stiffer then the overmold version and while the nylon one only comes in black, you can paint it any way you'd like or have it DIP'ed. They're great stocks for the money, that's why you see so many of them in use. Yes, the forend on them can flex (more on some then others) but if you make sure the barrel is truly free floated, its not really an issue. I just don't know how feesable it would be to cut one down LOP wise? I'm sue it could probably be done but how well would it come out, that I do not know?

Because of that and your need for a shorter LOP, I say just cut down the factory stock, especially considering you said its a nice one. Won't cost you anything and if you don't like it, you aren't out anything if you decide to change it later.

If you don't want to cut down your own stock for whatever reason, Ruger makes a compact stock for the 10/22, both in hardwood...

and a laminate version (that comes in a few different colors)...

ebay will be your friend if you decide to try and hunt down one of the factory compact stocks
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The factory stocks work for me. I'm not a big dude either so the factory LOP suites me just fine. If you stay with the factory stock get rid of the barrel band .
Free float your barrel.  Here is mine and the one I built for my dad . Oh and I like Houge stocks too  . Can't go wrong with them  
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the axiom stock, however the trigger is too close to the grip. That really makes it ideal for youth shooters or small hands. The ugliness wears off when you start to use it for real fast shooting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all for the replies. I think I am going to go with the AGP. I really like the stock, but I just wanted to be sure I wanted to spend the money on it.

The more I think about it, the more I think the AGP will make me happiest.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I may be too late, but I have used the AGP, Axiom, Hogue and Magpul stocks over 10 years of having 10/22s.  Keep in mind for most of them I had a lightweight sleeved barrel, which makes a huge difference in handling.

The Magpul overall is my favorite.  It's pricey, but modular and really really nice.  It turns the 10/22 into a real "adult" rifle.  Between it and the Hogue, I pick the Magpul every time.  I think it's a great blend between a plinking stock, precision stock and a field stock.  The pistol grip is actually pretty upright, which I think imakes it handle more like a true pistol grip stock than the OEM solution.

I run a pretty short LOP, and there's still room to take it down a little bit further to make more of a youth-sized offering.  When I added my scope, the risers got that dialed in perfectly.  I'm also invested in the M-lok system, and I love that I can put sling mounts, bipods, grips, etc with minimal effort.  Again, it was not cheap (I'm close to $160 into the system now with the stock, risers, QD points, etc.) but it's my choice for a do-all solution.

My SBR currently has an AGP stock, and it's my preference for this format of gun.  It's pretty solid and the folding stock locks up very tight.  I really wish AGP made a stock dedicated for a non-takedown (especially one for an SBR), but this works well for my pocket rifle.  It gives it an almost MP5k feel.  My only gripe with their current offering is that the pistol grip is very thin in both dimensions.  I keep meaning to look for something to sleeve it with, but I haven't taken the time to do that.

The Axiom stock pulled double duty between the stock barrel length and SBR length.  It's crazy light as mentioned, but nowadays I keep it on the shelf.  Once I got my second 10/22,  it filled a niche I didn't need to fill between a full size and SBR.  I still keep it around for use with my suppressor, although I've toyed around with selling it.  I did add a Rogers SuperStoc to replace the factory one, and the locking stock fits much better and really improves the feel.  I liked how the grip felt and the adjustable stock helped make it fit my frame well.  I didn't like it as much as a field stock because there were so many nooks and crannies to get crudded up.  But for action rifle matches it was amazingly fast.  It'd be my choice for a pure speed competition rifle.

The Hogue served me well for many years.  It was the overmolded version.  I liked it back then, but I think it is now outclassed by the Magpul solution in nearly every way.

I can't speak highly enough about the various sleeved barrel options.  I have 2 Whistle Pig barrels, but any of those options really change the handling of the rifle for the better.  My Magpul 10/22 is just a joy to shoot - it's my favorite 10/22.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

William
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may be too late, but I have used the AGP, Axiom, Hogue and Magpul stocks over 10 years of having 10/22s.  Keep in mind for most of them I had a lightweight sleeved barrel, which makes a huge difference in handling.

The Magpul overall is my favorite.  It's pricey, but modular and really really nice.  It turns the 10/22 into a real "adult" rifle.  Between it and the Hogue, I pick the Magpul every time.  I think it's a great blend between a plinking stock, precision stock and a field stock.  The pistol grip is actually pretty upright, which I think imakes it handle more like a true pistol grip stock than the OEM solution.

I run a pretty short LOP, and there's still room to take it down a little bit further to make more of a youth-sized offering.  When I added my scope, the risers got that dialed in perfectly.  I'm also invested in the M-lok system, and I love that I can put sling mounts, bipods, grips, etc with minimal effort.  Again, it was not cheap (I'm close to $160 into the system now with the stock, risers, QD points, etc.) but it's my choice for a do-all solution.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/weconway/Guns/50577604-FB45-431B-8669-56E17FBF0C71_zpsrmcq7kni.jpg

My SBR currently has an AGP stock, and it's my preference for this format of gun.  It's pretty solid and the folding stock locks up very tight.  I really wish AGP made a stock dedicated for a non-takedown (especially one for an SBR), but this works well for my pocket rifle.  It gives it an almost MP5k feel.  My only gripe with their current offering is that the pistol grip is very thin in both dimensions.  I keep meaning to look for something to sleeve it with, but I haven't taken the time to do that.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/weconway/Guns/EC931775-16EE-44A4-8982-4DFDF0F662F4_zpskmz9nkpo.jpg

The Axiom stock pulled double duty between the stock barrel length and SBR length.  It's crazy light as mentioned, but nowadays I keep it on the shelf.  Once I got my second 10/22,  it filled a niche I didn't need to fill between a full size and SBR.  I still keep it around for use with my suppressor, although I've toyed around with selling it.  I did add a Rogers SuperStoc to replace the factory one, and the locking stock fits much better and really improves the feel.  I liked how the grip felt and the adjustable stock helped make it fit my frame well.  I didn't like it as much as a field stock because there were so many nooks and crannies to get crudded up.  But for action rifle matches it was amazingly fast.  It'd be my choice for a pure speed competition rifle.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/weconway/Guns/Tactical%2010-22_zpsjdurcwp5.jpg

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/weconway/Guns/10-22%20SBR%20w%20can_zps0foo6xgp.jpg

The Hogue served me well for many years.  It was the overmolded version.  I liked it back then, but I think it is now outclassed by the Magpul solution in nearly every way.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/weconway/Guns/1022-hogue_sm.jpg

I can't speak highly enough about the various sleeved barrel options.  I have 2 Whistle Pig barrels, but any of those options really change the handling of the rifle for the better.  My Magpul 10/22 is just a joy to shoot - it's my favorite 10/22.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

William
View Quote
Very nice write up / review on many good stocks.

For barrel, yes, I am looking at the aluminum sleeved ones for weight. I was actually going to get the Beyer sleeved one. They make a factory profile sleeved barrel, that's threaded. Weight on that barrel is a measly 12 oz.

I have not done a stock yet. I sent my trigger pack out to Brimstone Gunsmithing to get a Tier 1 trigger job done. Everything I've read says to do trigger first, as that makes the biggest difference.

I do like the Magpul stock. Never drank their kool-aid, but I will give credit where it's due. I've handled (not shot) a friends stock, and I agree it was nice. Just a little heavy. I also like that new Titan stock, but that weighs in at 2 1/2 pounds.

Then there is the KKC Stock. Very cool looking, however, very pricey.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top