Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 2:45:25 PM EDT
I have a 10/22 with a wood stock and my 6 Yr old loves shooting it. But has a very hard time getting behind the gun because of the stock.  

I am torn on chopping the wood stock I have, or buying a youth type stock. I have had a hard time locating a standard non thumb hole wood stock for a 10/22.

Options?...

Not interested in AR tube styled adjustable stocks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
EBAY has a few standard stocks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 standard stocks 1 wood and 1 synthetic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownells sells one but idk if it is good. It gets mixed reviews on the Brownells site. If you call Ruger they will sell you a factory compact stock. My experience has been they will quote you a very high price but if you keep talking to them you can talk them down to about $70. Not cheap but it's brand new and good.

If you whack off a factory stock you have to fit a butt plate and it is still fat on the front end so it's still heavy. You would prob get your money's worth out of a compact stock. It is strange no one offers a youth stock. Hogue discontinued theirs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger still sells the youth version 10/22.
I wonder if they will sell you the stock seperately.
Or watch rimfirecentral, they go really quick.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought the youth/compact model for a camp gun. The shorter barrel, shorter and nicer stock, plus it comes with fire sights make it a great little shooter for fun times in the outdoors. I ended just buying the complete rifle because getting my hands on just the stock was near impossible. They sell on the secondary market really fast and usually pretty expensive. A 10/22 is one of the few things where the whole is less than the sum of its parts. That being said, how handy are you? Get a normal carbine stock, they're readily available from everyone and their dog customizing 10/22s, and they can be had reasonably priced. Just modify it to your needs. If you can. If not, then scout eBay, RFC, and the EE for the stock you want. It'll be a lot more generally though than other types of 10/22 stocks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brownells sells one but idk if it is good. It gets mixed reviews on the Brownells site. If you call Ruger they will sell you a factory compact stock. My experience has been they will quote you a very high price but if you keep talking to them you can talk them down to about $70. Not cheap but it's brand new and good.

If you whack off a factory stock you have to fit a butt plate and it is still fat on the front end so it's still heavy. You would prob get your money's worth out of a compact stock. It is strange no one offers a youth stock. Hogue discontinued theirs.
View Quote
I thought about calling them and asking if I mailed them back 1 of my take off stocks back if they would trade me a youth stock. I seriously doubt they would do that.

I have also thought about just buying a youth model for the stock and adding one of my stocks to it and reselling it. The 10/22 my daughter has been shooting has a threaded barrel for a suppressor and with the youth version being 16" I doubt I can get it thread with out dropping below 16".

I also have a CZ452 scout but its the old version and is not threaded. And since the front sight is dove tailed in most gun smiths want too much to relocate and thread or dont want to mess with it at all. I thought about buying her a new 455 scout but she likes the ability to squeeze another round off without doing anything.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Always a shame to see a smaller girl or boy trying to get behind a too big gun.

I never went with finding a youth stock , just chop down a cheap plain 10/22 and save your money for a aftermarket full sized stock when the kid gets bigger.

Very few youth stocks out there and lots of full sized stuff . Most kids will grow fast so who cares if the gun looks a little ragged for a while.

Some guys will take a couple of cuts and save the parts to make a id sized stock as the kid starts to grow.

If you can't bring yourself to chop a good stock many gun shops and most gun clubs will have a beat old take off sitting around in some back corner if you ask.
When you put out the word you are trying to start a new shooter they usually go for cheap or free.

Make sure when your kid out grows the stubby stock you pass it on to another small shooter.

Many young shooters will have a bit of trouble lining up the standard 10/22 sights. there are aftermarket aperture sets out there but a cheap red dot works real well with the younger inexperienced shooters. The red dot is very simple, take the dot and hold it where you want the bullet to hit! Red dots are also less sensitive to poor head placement that you get when the size of the gun doesn't match the size of the kid. as long as the kid can see the red dot it will land the bullet.

The old school method of starting a kid out with a single shot bolt with iron sights can be ok but some kids will loose interest when they are not hitting due to sight issues or gun size issues.

It's not a safety issue as the older instructor should be "right there" with his hand nearly on the gun . So what is the bored kid pulls the trigger too fast and blows off a bit of ammo? the kid will quickly find out he is more likely to get good hits if he/she takes a bit more time.
I favor the short light 10/22 with a red dot (and short stock) to grab and hold the kids interest and let them enjoy themselves
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Always a shame to see a smaller girl or boy trying to get behind a too big gun.

I never went with finding a youth stock , just chop down a cheap plain 10/22 and save your money for a aftermarket full sized stock when the kid gets bigger.

Very few youth stocks out there and lots of full sized stuff . Most kids will grow fast so who cares if the gun looks a little ragged for a while.

Some guys will take a couple of cuts and save the parts to make a id sized stock as the kid starts to grow.

If you can't bring yourself to chop a good stock many gun shops and most gun clubs will have a beat old take off sitting around in some back corner if you ask.
When you put out the word you are trying to start a new shooter they usually go for cheap or free.

Make sure when your kid out grows the stubby stock you pass it on to another small shooter.

Many young shooters will have a bit of trouble lining up the standard 10/22 sights. there are aftermarket aperture sets out there but a cheap red dot works real well with the younger inexperienced shooters. The red dot is very simple, take the dot and hold it where you want the bullet to hit! Red dots are also less sensitive to poor head placement that you get when the size of the gun doesn't match the size of the kid. as long as the kid can see the red dot it will land the bullet.

The old school method of starting a kid out with a single shot bolt with iron sights can be ok but some kids will loose interest when they are not hitting due to sight issues or gun size issues.

It's not a safety issue as the older instructor should be "right there" with his hand nearly on the gun . So what is the bored kid pulls the trigger too fast and blows off a bit of ammo? the kid will quickly find out he is more likely to get good hits if he/she takes a bit more time.
I favor the short light 10/22 with a red dot (and short stock) to grab and hold the kids interest and let them enjoy themselves
View Quote
This has to be the Best/ Most True advice ever given on Ar15.com.

I bought the CZ452 Scout for my daughter thinking "I want her to have a classy well built 22 bolt action, Not some pink cheaply made single shot". Well I bought it for her when she was 3 and it has sat in the safe until Jan 1 2016 when she shot it @ 50 Yards free handed and hit her target first shot ever. It went down hill from their fast. She was not strong enough to hold the rifle and actuate the bolt. (my faulty for not having a shooting rest) She also had a hard time understanding how to line up the sights. And then had a even harder time lining up the sights freehand. ( Once again mostly my fault for not being a good teacher.) After 10rds she was over it. Fast forward to 2/17 and I get one of my suppressors. I have (2) 10/22s set up both threaded one has a Red Dot TRS-25 and mine has a 4X leupold. I let her shoot mine off a folding table, she was not crazy about the scope. She had a hard time getting her head down and acquiring a good sight picture. I then gave her the 10-22 with the red dot. She placed the full length stock in the middle of her chest put the dot on the plate and hit it first try. Now she ask me when she gets home from school if she can go shoot. Of course I say yes even in the rain. (we get in her play place tree house and shoot down into the steel targets) I just want the experience to be very enjoyable for her. And as of right now the stock is really holding the fun factor back.

I think I will just chop the 10-22 wood stock I have. The boss has a pretty big wood shop, I am sure he will help. I just need to figure out what her length of pull is. Had a friend send me a youtube video on how to measure it. I have not had the time to watch it yet.

upload img

upload an image

upload image online
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I was going to tell you to go to Cousineau Wood Products and order a compact stock from them - I bought a blem pink laminate from them for my daughter for ~$20. It has some rough spots, but for the price cannot be beat. But I see on their facebook page they don't have any for now.

Cut down a factory stock works and is simple to do.

The arfcom answer - get both. Go buy a second 10-22 in the compact version if its short enough for your kids. You can find a full length stock for them later in life for under $50 easily. 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If you just need a wood stock for cutting down for youth, ask around. I bet you could get one for free.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#11]
As it was explained to me, the easy way to measure LOP is: if you hold the rifle in your hand as you would be to shoot it and place the stock along that arm, it should end  at the bend in your arm if your elbow is bent to 90 degrees.

I have always used this rule of thumb to adjust carbine stocks on ARs for new shooters and it has worked well
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My son had issues with the palm swell on the factory synthetic stock and a Magpul.  He couldn't reach the trigger and grip the stock comfortably.  So we ended up holding the rifle incorrectly when firing.  I did the AR-type tube stock for it and it works perfectly.  The much more vertical AR grip really helps him.  I guess I could have added onto the grip area of the other stocks with some epoxy, but I knew it would have looked like poop.   He also has a Crickett that fits him well because everything is downsized on it.  I couldn't find anything for the 10/22 that was similar. 

CHRIS
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a local gunsmith that is going to cut and fit a butt pad to the extra wood stock I have. looking foward to getting it back for her.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Usually, when I go to gun shows I see used Ruger 10/22 stocks available for like $25.  Same for barrels that were taken off, only say for about $30.  That being said.....get one and cut it.  Who knows......when your kid is finished with it, you could probably sell it (the stock) to someone else with a kid just starting out.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#15]
When my boys were 8 and 10 they started shooting Appleseed. I outfitted them with 10/22's.

I begged fellow shooters for take off wood stocks and quickly had several free for the asking.

I just dropped the stocks in my miter box and cut them off. I then used a pair of plastic buttplates from a gunsmith buddy- he had PILES of them from other stock jobs and ground and sanded them to fit the new profile. Neither of them were beautiful but the boys only needed them for a short period of time and then were able to shoot with the standard factory stocks. I don't think I had $10 in the pair of them...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Talked to the gunsmith Tuesday and they should be finished any day now. I will post pics when I get it back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Should be awesome. Worked an Appleseed last weekend. A girl who was about 7 was on the line. Her 10-22 Compact stock was still too long for her.  Her Dad whacked a standard stock with a chop saw and put a strip of skate board tape on the butt. Worked great but a real butt plate would be nice. Long ago boys rifiles didn't have butt plates though. Waiting for pics of the stock.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#18]
update:

Picked it up today. Had been done for a few days. Our schedules finally lined up and was able to give it to me.

He charged me $35.00 I gave him $40.00

Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks really good. Not a bad price either. Looks like you better buy a case of 22
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks really good. Not a bad price either. Looks like you better buy a case of 22
View Quote
No kidding, I have always bought bricks when I seen them if the price is right. The sucky thing is about 90% of what I have stockpiled is HV and Not Sub-sonic.

I wish my KGmade integral barrel would hurry up and get approved. It has a 4" barrel and rest is baffle stack (out to 16") so all ammo will be Subs. Should be the ultimate back yard plinker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top