Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2017 5:03:44 PM EDT
So I was walking down the street and something FORCED me into the gun shop.  So I browsed around and saw this on the wall and something FORCED me to buy it.

Other than that I wanted it, I didn't know much about it.  It is a Walther single shot .22 target rifle with a target peep sight.  Made in 1962 based on the markings if I'm reading them right.  The butt has a lot of drop and what I've seen called a "fish belly" shape with a slight cheek rest.  Bore looks great.  The barrel is tapered and not what I would call heavy.  I don't see a model number on it or the instruction sheet.  The guys on the Rimfirecentral forum identified it as a KKJ-T and having that to go on, I think I concur.  I'll have to remove the rear sight to see what is marked under there (that's where I've seen model markings on photos of other Walther rifles).

Only markings I have found above the stock are:
**"Walther" above the chamber
**Serial number on the left side below that  (50,xxx) and <eagle proof>
**barrel marked Kal. .22 l.f.B. <eagle proof> 62 <antler>

That's it unless there is something else hiding under the rear sight base or under the woodline.  The rifle is grooved on top and the rear sight is clamped onto the groove.  The front globe site came with 3 additional inserts (shown with the accessories pouch).

The plastic butt plate does have a chunk missing--a rounded sliver at the heel about .5 inches on its flat edge.  There are some misc dings and scratches in the stock and blue finish, but nothing major and no noted rust.

The trigger is adjustable from 5 oz to 3 lbs according to the sheet (a half-size sheet front and back).  Currently is it set to VERY light.

Any additional information that can be provided would be AWESOME!  Thanks!

More pics:

Rob
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
What I HAVE been able to find is that the KKJ series of rifles are "hunting rifles".  The KKJ stands for "Small Bore Hunting" in German (more or less) and the "-T" denotes "target model".  So a target hunting rifle?  The -T rifles have a semi-target stock--beefier out to the tip and flatter on the bottom.  Also single shot with no magazine and fitted from the factory with a nice diopter target sight.

Really looking forward to shooting it!

Rob
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice score!

I love vintage .22s, especially target models.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a GX-1, which is the full match rifle built on the Walther KK action. It is a very fun rifle to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks great. How much does it weigh?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
sexy
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure how much it weighs, but it is more sporter than match rifle.  Only the stock is semi-match.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice find
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Got out to the range with it yesterday.  Took an assortment of target and match ammo to get a bit of an idea what it can do.

I used the attached diopter sight.  Combined with my eyes, this really limited me to 25 yards.  I used a front rest only.  Had some issues with large bore cannon going off next to me and failing light, but I'm not too displeased with the results.  I think it shows promise with more practice and probably a scope.

I'll start first with my last group:  TAC-22 into 0.44 inches

(yeah...I typo'd the model number on the target labels...It is KKJ-T)

And here is the target I was walking groups around to see what they might do.  In cases where there is a tight group and then an outlier, it is most likely ME at fault, not the ammo or the rifle.

Wolf MT:  0.98"
TAC-22:  0.86", 0.51"
Eley Target (yellow box):  1.12", 0.54", 0.83", 0.45"
Federal Ultramatch:  0.85"

I also shot some CCI SV and Geco RIFLE.  The CCI was the least impressive and the Geco was pretty good--about on par with the better groups from TAC-22 and the Eley.

I also got a trigger scale and the trigger breaks at 3 1/4 lbs.  I have not tried to test it on the light setting, which is surely just a couple of ounces.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is my 1965 KKS-D. If memory serves yours is the fancier hog-back "hunter" version.

Your rifle is capable of a lot better 25 yard groups than that unless there is something wrong with the bore/crown. Try scoping it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure you are both right.  I thought I said as much above.  The iron sights for me certainly limit the capability.  It just feels a shame to put the beautiful diopter sight away in a drawer.  But I think it must be done.

Now...what scope with do the rifle justice (functionally and aesthetically) without breaking the bank?  Something in a Tasco 4x, I think?    Seriously though...  I can TEST it using a Simmons .22 MAG or UTG "Bug Buster" that I have, but I think it should have something more appropriate to wear permanently.

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top