Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 4:54:52 PM EDT
Not my rifle

Shes had it 3 or 4 years, from new, and its always had a issue of maybe short stroking?

Shes tried other ammo and mags.

At one point she was told by "someone" it was a known issue and quick fix, and so...never got done.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Never had any issues. Could use some more info on what is happening with the rifle you speak of.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I didnt shoot it, but the problems I saw (when i looked) looked like lt was short stroking.
How you would expect it to run after shooting enough to have issues from the dirt, but without the dirt.
 Im going to have to barrow it, clean it, look for odd ware and shoot it myself. Repeat

I thought I would ask, because she made it sound like it was a known issue.

Thanks for the replys!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
See if a round drops freely in and out of the throat of the barrel, it probably just needs a good clean and lube.
Look online about the ejector and where it should be in relation to the underside of the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought mine about 3 years ago and it's a jamomatic. It jams with top shelf ammo and different mags. Evidently it's a common problem and S&W can fix it. I need to send mine back and your friend probably should too. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.
Never had a problem with either of our two rifles.
Other than an occasional dud if i try to burn up some crappier rounds.
I keep them very clean though. They never get put away without being broke down, scrubbed and wiped.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought mine about 3 years ago and it's a jamomatic. It jams with top shelf ammo and different mags. Evidently it's a common problem and S&W can fix it. I need to send mine back and your friend probably should too. 
View Quote
Interesting....
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had mine since mid 2011. I've never had a single issue that was not ammo related. I also clean and lube mine after every time I shoot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen a bunch at my local gun club - most run fine.

I've seen a few blow off their extractor.

I know the Appleseed Project banned them from their events last year, and as far as I know that is still the case. It seems the 15-22 has more problems with Out Of Battery (OOB) discharges. S&W is investigating the problem.

One issue I've seen is when people try and remove the muzzle brake. It does not have the same setup as a "real" AR-15, you can spin the barrel and break parts - then it needs to go back to S&W for repair.

That said, most people I know with them, like them a lot.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I seem to remember very early on their was an issue that was fixed with a "blue" spring - kinda fuzzy on it but maybe someone else remembers the details.

That being said the two I have for my kids have run great with zero issues.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two.  Had to send one back but it is fixed now.  They never jam no matter what you feed them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of the early ones, got the blue springs put in and have never had an issue with it (outside of cheap ammo). I don't hardly clean it ever other than block the lower out and wipe the bolt and chamber faces off with a brush, at most I will patch the chamber and pull a bore snake through it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Sure would like to hear more on the "blue spring"
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:47:14 AM EDT
[#13]
The extractor can be an issue with it.  To be on the safe side I replaced mine with a volquartsen extractor.  Only about $17.  Cheap enough to swap out and not worry about.  Ammo could be an issue, but it sounds like either a dirty gun or a spring issue.  You can check with S&W about getting it fixed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure would like to hear more on the "blue spring"
View Quote
There's not much to explain...

The very first models had under-powered hammer and recoil spring issues. So, S&W replaced those with "blue" colored springs and no problems since.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Also, since mine is one of the the older ones. I have no idea what the newer ones use or have in them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine was unreliable compared to the Sig 522 and HK MP5/416 that I had at the same time.

The Smith would average 3-4 malfs per 100 rounds, whereas the others were more like 3-4 malfs in 1000 rounds.

Not to mention the entire gun is freaking plastic, so a sling, bipod, or even a vertical grip will flex the handguard and throw off your POA/POI.

I got rid of that shitty rifle in a hurry.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
The biggest problem is getting rid of your smile and finding more ammo. They are fun and reliable.  They are not target guns by any stretch,  but they are a reliable pinker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top