Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2017 7:31:27 PM EDT
The  Post Your M&P 15-22 Build Pics Here thread has me ready to get my 15-22 cut down.  I'm planning to go with an 8" barrel paired with a Spectre II (still waiting on my stamp, filed in Apr).  Question for you.  I just saw a post on another forum about people with 4.5" barrels having to mod their 15-22 bolts.  Would I need to do that for an 8" barrel?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I went 6" and didn't modify anything besides the barrel, and I chopped down the handguard.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are going to SBR a $300 rifle. why not go 4.5" barrel so you can use standard velocity ammo?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are going to SBR a $300 rifle. why not go 4.5" barrel so you can use standard velocity?
View Quote

Go 4.5 so most bulk ammo stays subsonic. It will be a little more reliable this way as well with the hotter ammo. Mine has run flawless.  You will need to cut the hand guard an inch or two. I band saw makes it easy, you could do it by hand as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the recommendations but not really interested in a 4.5".  So, will I need to mod the handguard or bolt for an 8" barrel?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing. Should run fine and the supressor should clear the handguard with a couple of inches to spare.  You will be relegated to sub sonic ammo to stay quiet though.  I might do another 15-22 SBR and do the same as you, especially the new Mlok version which isn't really set up to cut the hanguard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top