Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2017 8:36:07 AM EDT
I'm thinking about making a .22 upper and was looking at the CMMG barrel/bolt/collar kit they sell.  Any reason not to go with CMMG?  Thought I'd check here first.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#1]
i have the cmmg conversion bolt (chrome? one, its more expensive than the black one). i used it in my 1:9 piston carbine with good results for a while but we know how ars multiply lol. i bought the collar and used the bolt for a dedicated 4.5" pistol that i shoot mostly suppressed. its a blast
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i have the cmmg conversion bolt (chrome? one, its more expensive than the black one). i used it in my 1:9 piston carbine with good results for a while but we know how ars multiply lol. i bought the collar and used the bolt for a dedicated 4.5" pistol that i shoot mostly suppressed. its a blast
View Quote

Thanks.  I'm looking at the 4.5 and shooting it suppressed
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks like CMMG offers 6 different .22lr uppers including a 9", but why don't they offer a 4.5" complete upper? They sell the 4.5" barrel and that seems like the way to go to capitalize on the cheap bulk pack ammo, but it's not available in a complete upper.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it best to get a stripped lower without a FA?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:00:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it best to get a stripped lower without a FA?
View Quote

I have non-FA uppers for all of my .22 and 9mm uppers.   Aero makes them.  These are on-sale: http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.ar15-assembled-upper-receiver-no-forward-assist-anodized-black-8-993
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Do get their 22 charging handle. It is more filled in than a 556 handle, that helps keep any stray spent brass from getting lodged in there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do get their 22 charging handle. It is more filled in than a 556 handle, that helps keep any stray spent brass from getting lodged in there.
View Quote

Wrapped up my latest project (threaded .22 pistol with burris fast fire) and it's time to get serious on this one.  

Already had:
SWR Spectre
SBR lower
Stripped Upper - I may switch this to a non-FA one at some point but I'm just going to use what I already have stashed away
Really short pistol length FF hand guard (don't remember the details, I bought it cheap off the used EE >1 year ago specifically for a .22 AR)

On the way:
CMMG CH
Better Mag adapter
SW 15-22 mag
Dust Cover Assembly
FWD Assist Assembly

Need to get:
CMMG 4.5 inch barrel/collar/bolt kit

If y'all think of something else essential let me know.  It may be awhile until I finish this one because I'm trying to sell stuff to buy stuff instead of spending "new money".
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#11]
As luck would have it, today I ordered...

CMMG 4.5" 22LR Barrel & SS Bolt Assy.  
Aero Precision No F/A, Assembled Upper
Aero Precision 7" Quantum M-Lok Handguard

I already have a couple of AR SBR'd lowers, SilencerCo Sparrow, spare Holosun 503 sight.

So hopefully I'll have it all together in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how mine goes, you let us know how yours goes.  

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As luck would have it, today I ordered...

CMMG 4.5" 22LR Barrel & SS Bolt Assy.  
Aero Precision No F/A, Assembled Upper
Aero Precision 7" Quantum M-Lok Handguard

I already have a couple of AR SBR'd lowers, SilencerCo Sparrow, spare Holosun 503 sight.

So hopefully I'll have it all together in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how mine goes, you let us know how yours goes.  

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.
View Quote

Got the 4.5 bbl/collar/bolt kit on order from optics planet.  It will be 2-3 weeks before it ships.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Got the 4.5 bbl/collar/bolt kit on order from optics planet.  It will be 2-3 weeks before it ships.
View Quote

Yup - that's where I ordered mine too.

Let's race!  First one to finish his upper, gets to shoot more ammo.  

Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#14]
The 4.5" CMMG setup has quickly become my favorite setup. Be aware that you may need to file the vertical edges of the BetterMag adapter for it to fit a tight magwell. I had to file mine to fit the Aero lower but I view that as a benefit as I know it fits snug with no wiggle but I can still remove it if I need to. The bolt locks back every time.

My Build:
Aero M4E1 Upper (I wanted it to match my other 4 SBRs)
Aero Gen 1 Rail - Enhanced M-Lok 7"
Aero Ambi Lower - SBR Engraving in front of magwell.
Aero Billet Trigger Guard
CMMG 4.5" Barrel/Bolt Kit
Captain Black Sparrow (SilencerCo ;) )
Better Mag Adapter
Smith and Wesson MP15-22 Mags - 10 and 25 round work great
Spike Lower Parts Kit
Anderson Receiver Extension Kit
Magpul CTR Stock
Magpul MOE K2+ (The Spike grip is shown but has been replaced.
Sight Mark QD Holographic Sight
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Good looking build RipGear!

I'm not planning on going with the M&P 15 mags at this time. I know a lot of folks like them, but I don't want to worry about the adapter when I jump between my 5.56 upper & the 22LR one.

I've already picked up a couple of CMMG mags on sale, and will give the Black Dog ones a try also. (really want to try their 50 round drum!)

Looking forward to the new range toy - I'll post pics as soon as it's ready.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Well - Optics Planet says it's in and has been shipped...

Description                                                                                            Ordered Shipped
CMMG, Inc Barrel and Bolt Group Kit, 4.5in. MT 4140CM, 22LR 22D5B6E       1        1

The Aero Precision upper & handguard arrived yesterday - so all I can say now is... Come on FedEx!  

Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well - Optics Planet says it's in and has been shipped...

Description                                                                                            Ordered Shipped
CMMG, Inc Barrel and Bolt Group Kit, 4.5in. MT 4140CM, 22LR 22D5B6E       1        1

The Aero Precision upper & handguard arrived yesterday - so all I can say now is... Come on FedEx!  

Bob S.
View Quote

Great, mine shouldn't be too far behind
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#18]
You might consider the Taccom reliabilty kit. At least get the Taccom pressure plug that slides in front of the buffer to put more pressure on the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You might consider the Taccom reliabilty kit. At least get the Taccom pressure plug that slides in front of the buffer to put more pressure on the bolt carrier.
View Quote

I'm going to see how the parts I'm already getting work first.

If I have to fix problems, I'll deal with them - but for now, I'm just going to set it all up and see how she runs.

I put the 7" handguard on the upper without the barrel to see how the gun will look - and it will be a tiny little package!  I'm already running the LWRC UCIW stock, and my Sparrow should only stick out a inch or less from the handguard.

I can't wait to give it a run. FedEx says Tuesday delivery of the barrel/bolt set. I might make it to the range Wed. after work, if not Thurs. for sure!

I'll post pics as soon as I have it setup.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm going to see how the parts I'm already getting work first.

If I have to fix problems, I'll deal with them - but for now, I'm just going to set it all up and see how she runs.

I put the 7" handguard on the upper without the barrel to see how the gun will look - and it will be a tiny little package!  I'm already running the LWRC UCIW stock, and my Sparrow should only stick out a inch or less from the handguard.

I can't wait to give it a run. FedEx says Tuesday delivery of the barrel/bolt set. I might make it to the range Wed. after work, if not Thurs. for sure!

I'll post pics as soon as I have it setup.

Bob S.
View Quote

I just went and measured the small hand guard I'm going to use and it's just under 6 inches, probably ~5 extending beyond the upper receiver.  IIRC a 4.5 inch barrel will have ~3.5 inchs extending out from the upper.  My suppressor is 6 inches so, in theory, I'll have ~4 inches of suppressor out the front of the hand guard.  

Can these real short ones be shot without a suppressor?  Just make sure your hand is behind the muzzle?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I've seen it done - just keep your hand behind the muzzle. I'd probably use a magwell hold to be sure.

You will get some crud build up on the handguard (both inside & out) if you do it a lot.

I was thinking about picking up one of these if I wanted to run it without suppressor...

Extra Long Flash Hider

FedEx said my barrel/bolt is out for delivery.... I might have it all together tonight!

Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've seen it done - just keep your hand behind the muzzle. I'd probably use a magwell hold to be sure.

You will get some crud build up on the handguard (both inside & out) if you do it a lot.

I was thinking about picking up one of these if I wanted to run it without suppressor...

Extra Long Flash Hider

FedEx said my barrel/bolt is out for delivery.... I might have it all together tonight!

Bob S.
View Quote

We [I] want pictures
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We [I] want pictures
View Quote

OK - here you go, hot off the press, er...  vice...

Here it is in it's everyday setup. 10.5" LMT 5.56 upper, Aimpoint C3, Gemtech TREK, LWRC UCIW stock, Magpul K2+ grip, Geissele SD3G trigger...

And here it is with the new upper - Aero Precision No Forward Assist Upper, Aero Precision 7" MLOK Handguard, CMMG 4.5" 22LR barrel/Bolt set, SilencerCo Sparrow, Holosun 503 Circle-Dot sight.

Went out in the backyard with 10 rounds of SV ammo - worked perfectly - will sight it in on Thursday.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

OK - here you go, hot off the press, er...  vice...

Here it is in it's everyday setup. 10.5" LMT 5.56 upper, Aimpoint C3, Gemtech TREK, LWRC UCIW stock, Magpul K2+ grip, Geissele SD3G trigger...

http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/Guns/SBR-556-1.JPG

And here it is with the new upper - Aero Precision No Forward Assist Upper, Aero Precision 7" MLOK Handguard, CMMG 4.5" 22LR barrel/Bolt set, SilencerCo Sparrow, Holosun 503 Circle-Dot sight.

http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/Guns/SBR-22LR-1.JPG
http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/Guns/SBR-22LR-2.JPG

Went out in the backyard with 10 rounds of SV ammo - worked perfectly - will sight it in on Thursday.

Bob S.
View Quote

Looks nice.  Thanks Bob.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Man, that's a nice looking setup. I'm pretty sure my Spectre tailcap would be stuck to the barrel half the time though. Is it just the 8 allen head bolts to remove the Aero handguard?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Man, that's a nice looking setup. I'm pretty sure my Spectre tailcap would be stuck to the barrel half the time though. Is it just the 8 allen head bolts to remove the Aero handguard?
View Quote

Yup - just the 8 Torx heads (not allen) - and it was a relatively easy install. The barrel nut they sent since I didn't have a "Enhanced" upper, uses shims to time it - took about 4 tries to get it just right. Once it's timed, you never have to mess with it again.

For the money, I think it's a good handguard. It's about the same diameter as the Troy Alpha, so not skinny. I can put my SilencerCo 45 Octane under it easily (looks good that way too - it sticks out 4" from the end of the handguard.

I too have a Spectre II (in jail right now) and if I do use it, or my Octane, it will be simple to remove if I leave an end cap behind.

Looking forward to sighting it in on Thursday.

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#27]
That's great info Bob, thanks. I've had the Spectre for a while and just picked up my Mask today. What can are you using in the picture? It looks like it barely sticks out of the end of the hand guard.

With 2 rimfire cans now I'm looking for another host and I'm torn between an upper like this for an AR pistol or buying a Ruger charger then cutting the barrel and putting it in a PMACA chassis with a brace. I think the money would be similar either way but this looks like more fun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#28]
The suppressor is a SilencerCo Sparrow - it's about 5" long (about an inch shorter than the Spectre II), and it sticks out just under 3/4" from the end of the handguard.

The good thing about the Sparrow is since it is a monocore, you can't unscrew the end cap when you go to take the can off. The only downside is it does have a little FRP, but I can live with that.

I'm going to try it out with 3 different suppressors this week, as I have the Sparrow, Spectre II (still in jail, but I can arrange a conjugal visit) and Octane 45 HD.

I have a Magpul M-Lok Vertical Grip coming in on Thursday, and I THINK that should be it (except for more mags) - still trying to decide if I want to put BUIS on it, but I don't really see the need.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#29]
@messer

Can you measure the overall length with stock collapsed and with/without suppressor attached?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@messer

Can you measure the overall length with stock collapsed and with/without suppressor attached?
View Quote

Can do - but not at work.

I'll check it after work today and post some numbers. Just a FYI - the LWRC UCIW Stock is almost 2" shorter than a std. carbine stock.

Happy Wednesday,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a product that is a must for these 22 set ups. lightnin grip loader
I don't have anything to do with the company but this will load a 25 round mag in 10 seconds or less. Makes shooting alot more fun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@messer

View Quote

And the winning numbers are...

Stock collapsed to the end of the handguard = 21"
Stock collapsed to the end of the Sparrow = 21 5/8"

Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And the winning numbers are...

Stock collapsed to the end of the handguard = 21"
Stock collapsed to the end of the Sparrow = 21 5/8"

Bob S.
View Quote

Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Just a quick follow-up after some range time last night after work.

I only had enough time to put about 100 rounds through it. I was using SV Aguila ammo (not the best - not the worst, but available and not too expensive these days), and had no problems or failures.

I sighted in at 10 yards first - very good groups. I was able to put 5 shot into one ragged hole.  I then went out to 25 yards (as long as our indoor range goes), and was able to to keep everything in about 1 inch. I did have a problem keeping the red dot on the bullseye - not the guns fault, old eyes are more to blame.

Once I had it sighted in, I ran a few multiple target drills - it was easy to hit everything I aimed at. All in all, it's a lot of fun - I can't wait to get it out on the steel target range.  

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.

p.s. And Deadeye... yes a mag loader will be a good idea!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Got a shipping notice from CMMG
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Got a shipping notice from CMMG
View Quote

Sounds good!  

I don't know about where you live, but here FedEx hands it over to the USPS for final delivery. Mine made it one day sooner than the original "Deliver by" date, so it might be faster.

I will tell you that everybody wants to play with it on the range!

Keep us posted,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Got my kit in and assembled my upper.  I still lack a forward assist plug but they finally came back in stock and I have one ordered.  I shot around 100 rounds yesterday and everything worked pretty good.  The only problem I had was the bolt locks back with 1 round left in the mag every time.  I figure as things get broken in it may fix it.  If not, locking back with only 1 round left isn't a huge thing.  

I also got one of the Mcfaden mag loaders with 15-22 adapter and it works great.  It feels a bit delicate but the function is as advertised.

I've since added the dust cover assembly but here is the 4.5 barrel with a SWR (SiCO) Spectre 1.  The hand guard wasn't completely bolted on yet in the picture because I was still getting it lined up right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Good deal!

I had mine out yesterday playing with the Sparrow & the Octane 45 HD.

The Sparrow sticks out 5/8" from the 7" handguard - The Octane sticks out about 4" and is much bigger in diameter.

They both look good in different ways, and both sound good.  It seemed to me the accuracy was better with the Sparrow, but I'll need to do more testing. (like that's a bad thing)

The gun functions perfectly - using the CMMG mags, the bolt holds open on the last shot, but the bolt drops when you remove the mag (since the bolt is actually being caught by the mag follower)

I let a few others play with it - several are now looking to build a short upper!

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#39]
What is accuracy like at 50 yards? Has anyone done a bench rest check of the 4.5" barrel and measured groups with different ammo?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd need to mount up a scope to do any real accuracy testing on mine.

I use a 2 MOA red dot, with CCI SV, I get around a 1" group at 25 yards (I've tried a few different brands of ammo, CCI SV is the best so far).  I've only shot one target at 50 yards, and the group opened up to almost 4". I was not trying to see how small a group I could shoot - more interested to see if there was a major POA/POI shift (it was a little higher at 50). I'm also sure some of that is the Red Dot, it's just too imprecise.

Since the barrel is as short or shorter than most pistol barrels, I'd expect accuracy to be similar to a pistol - it's just more stable shooting with a stock.

I've been enjoying mine these past weeks - letting other try it out. It never fails to make people smile! The combination of small, no recoil, and no noise puts a instant smile on everyone's face.

Hope this helps,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#41]
My forward assist plug arrived but I've been too busy to install it.  Took it out one additional time with some CCI SV and it has been flawless.  The bolt hold open function now works 100% so I guess it took some breaking in.  I sighted in at 25 yards and the rounds were touching on the paper with aguila ammo, but haven't tried it on a proper paper target at 100 yet (too easy to just be lazy and shoot the steel at 100).  Federal ammo was probably the worst and the groups at 25 were horrible.  As mentioned aguila was best but more expensive and doesn't operate the bolt every time.  CCI SV ended up being the best all around for function and accuracy.

I tried to lock it in a bench vise but the mag was too long (gets me every time!).  I need to get a shorter 15-22 mag that will let me lock the rifle down and see what it groups at.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a cmmg conversion kit that works flawlessly in a 11.5.

Do you guys think i should just buy the 4.5 brl/collar or should i get a whole bolt barrel combo.  

I already have the sbr and can covered.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd order the barrel/bolt/collar kit from optics planet and use a 10% off coupon.  You could save a few bucks by trying to make your old bolt work but, for something like this, getting all the pieces together is probably better.  Sell your conversion to recover a few bucks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have a cmmg conversion kit that works flawlessly in a 11.5.

Do you guys think i should just buy the 4.5 brl/collar or should i get a whole bolt barrel combo.  

I already have the sbr and can covered.
View Quote

If your current bolt is the newer Stainless Steel one, I'd say you could go either way. If your bolt is NOT the SS one, I'd say get a new set from CMMG.

As noted, opticsplanet.com seems to be the best deal with their 10% (or sometimes more) discount. They run the 10% discount almost monthly, just keep checking.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top