Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2017 11:53:16 PM EDT
Thinking about getting one of these. How does the 522 compare to other .22LR rifles? They're relatively expensive as far as rimfire rifles go. Are they worth the money?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of them and my favorite is my SBR version.  They are a lot of fun and eat just about any .22 ammo that I tried.  Do you have a 556 that is this rifle's big brother?

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
How much is alot of $$$? I've had one and it was a more accurate shooter than my 15/22 but not as fun and for $400 or less, you can get the new S&W 15/22 with the smooth rail and it uses the same trigger, barrel thread, and stock, grip, and sights as an AR15. If you are looking to accessorize, I would go this route. Just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I like mine but we also have 3 of the S&W 15/22 for my kids. The S&W compatibility with AR triggers is nice. I like my Sig because with the folding stock it fits in the saddle bag of my Street Glide without having to tear it down. In nice weather I like to ride my bike the 1.5 hours to my dads where my range is.

Sig mags keep out dirt and dust better for things like West Texas super dusty prairie dog days on dirt roads. S&W is easier to load.

I have killed a ton of critters with my Sig and it has a place in my safe, but it is hard to argue for it for most situations. I guess part of me also likes it because it is far less common than S&W or 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Had mine since 2010. Great rifle, very accurate, and will run on just about any .22LR with or without lubrication. I have put many many bricks of Federal bulk and CCI through it, used to shoot it almost every day after work, and I really cannot think of any time it had any sort of failure - very reliable and unpicky for a .22. The only thing I have found it didn't like was Remington Golden Bullet, which would have an occasional FTE.

Mags are also easy to find from Black Dog, cheaper than most other "tactical" type .22s.

Controls and charging handle are usable with stock folded, and since it's .22 it's easily controllable with the stock folded as well, especially with a red dot sight installed.

If I was going to buy a tactical style .22LR today it would probably be a 15-22 just because of the huge aftermarket, but the 522 is just a very solid rifle, I don't feel that it needs very much if anything. Great trigger, good ergonomics, great magazines.  I greatly regret not going in on the deal back in those days where you bought a Sig 556 and they threw the 522 in for free. Oh well.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple of them and my favorite is my SBR version.  They are a lot of fun and eat just about any .22 ammo that I tried.  Do you have a 556 that is this rifle's big brother?

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/FiremanFrank/004_zpsaa3b6ec9.jpg
View Quote

Did you use a real Sig stock or is that one of the airsoft ones? I have heard of people using the airsoft stocks and filling them with fiberglass resin to make them a little more solid. The adjustable stock is the only thing I really don't like about mine.

Wish I had the SBR version!  Looks like it would be a great backpacking rifle and would fit into most day packs. The normal length one will but you get a bit of barrel sticking out of the pack.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It is the real stock as I didn't know there were cheaper alternatives.  I seem to recall I paid something like $179 for it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah if you look around you will find the airsoft ones available separately, but they are hollow and so they need some sort of filling/reinforcement.. Or may not depending on your results.

With the "lower" on the 522 being polymer I don't see the issue in using an airsoft style stock.

http://www.evike.com/products/32906/  - $40
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a used one a couple years ago and love it. Like others said so far it has shot everything I've put in it. Others that have shot it liked it also.
$400.00? You will have to decide that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned my 522 for about 4 years now. It extreamly reliable, eats everything. Its very accurate and the trigger is good out of the box. I have a Bushnell TR25 red dot and it is a fun shooter.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive had one for about 3 years, love it, its never missed a beat.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
My first time at the range with mine I grabbed an old 100 round CCI plastic box out of the .22 range bag.  This was old ammo from 25 years ago.  I used to take the ammo out of the 50 rounds paper boxes that came in bricks and put it in the CCI plastic boxes because it was easy to see how much was left and because they are more durable that the paper boxes if you got caught out in the woods in the rain.

I started sighting the rifle in and suddenly my groups moved about an inch and a half low and left of where they had been.  It functioned fine, even with the old ammo.  After I bit I realized the Remington ammo I'd started with (on one end of the plastic box) was gone and I was shooting Federal .22 ammo.

Old ammo, change from Remington to Federal and the only way I knew it was that the POI on the target changed.

The 522 didn't care what brand of ammo it was, it just kept feeding and going bang.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah if you look around you will find the airsoft ones available separately, but they are hollow and so they need some sort of filling/reinforcement.. Or may not depending on your results.

With the "lower" on the 522 being polymer I don't see the issue in using an airsoft style stock.

View Quote

Well my wallet got the best of me so I ended up ordering one of these airsoft stocks for my 522. It installed without issue and locks up very solidly, versus the wobbly factory adjustable stock. It does not seem like it needs any additional attention such as filling with fiberglass, it's very solid feeling. The only problem is that the locking insert doesn't seem to want to snap to the tab on the front handguard, so it doesn't lock to the folded position. I'm sure this will be an easy issue to resolve. For about $50 shipped, this is a nice Swiss style stock that should have no issues being used on a .22LR.

I also picked up one of the highly reviewed $75 Centerfire 1-4x20 and mount combos from Amazon. I'm very surprised by how nice this scope is, and I'm probably going to order a couple more. I haven't sighted it in yet but all indication shows that this will be a great scope for a  tactical .22LR like the 522.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine also will shoot all the 22 i have tried. Not ammo sensitive.

Only downside is the lack of sights to make it look like a sig 550
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Get one, they are great 22's.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn it! I wish i know about these years ago. I would have saved up for the 522. I hated the factory stock and have always loved the original swiss style stock.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well my wallet got the best of me so I ended up ordering one of these airsoft stocks for my 522. It installed without issue and locks up very solidly, versus the wobbly factory adjustable stock. It does not seem like it needs any additional attention such as filling with fiberglass, it's very solid feeling. The only problem is that the locking insert doesn't seem to want to snap to the tab on the front handguard, so it doesn't lock to the folded position. I'm sure this will be an easy issue to resolve. For about $50 shipped, this is a nice Swiss style stock that should have no issues being used on a .22LR.

I also picked up one of the highly reviewed $75 Centerfire 1-4x20 and mount combos from Amazon. I'm very surprised by how nice this scope is, and I'm probably going to order a couple more. I haven't sighted it in yet but all indication shows that this will be a great scope for a  tactical .22LR like the 522.

http://i.imgur.com/mjQaxlO.png
View Quote

Interested in link and report on the scope combo thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Did Sig discontinue the 522?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did Sig discontinue the 522?
View Quote
^ Bump for an answer. 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, a while ago with all models of 556 rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top