Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2017 4:50:29 PM EDT
My 11yo is about to start shooting .22 rifle with his 4-H club.  He will be using a 10/22 with open sights in a Magpul stock (with all the spacers removed.

What are the essential upgrades for a 10/22?  What brands are good?  The only brand I am familiar with is Volquartsen, and it seems that all of their parts are out of stock on Midway.

This is not serious competition, but I would like to have something easy for him to shoot.

I searched for similar threads and could not find any.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the best upgrades I did to my 10/22 was upgrade the extractor and also the magazine release.  Those two cheap / simple upgrades alone really help with the functionality of the gun imo.

KIDD products (coolguyguns.com) are pretty much top of the line and very popular with the 10/22 crowd along with volquarsen as you mentioned above.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
This! And, drop in a BX trigger for those really nice groups.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the best upgrades I did to my 10/22 was upgrade the extractor and also the magazine release.  Those two cheap / simple upgrades alone really help with the functionality of the gun imo.

KIDD products (coolguyguns.com) are pretty much top of the line and very popular with the 10/22 crowd along with volquarsen as you mentioned above.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Before you do mods, make sure you know the rules for the class in which he is shooting. My niece is shooting competitively through 4H and some mods I suggested would change her class. Just a thought.

And, yep, there are some really cool mods for 10/22s
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Tech sights and good mags and a decent trigger

He's 11 Typically .22 is 12 and older with Hunter safety... Don't have him chase equipment... (I've been a 4H and NRA certified Instructor for years)

Focus on the fundamentals.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#5]
This.  Let him learn on OEM for a season.  Let him use his experiences in deciding what parts will make him better.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Prioritize the three key upgrades.  Accuracy, reliability, and ease of use.

Good sights and a good trigger are key starting points of accuracy.  If those are allowed I'd start there.  A machined bolt face and barrel are the next steps.

Next is reliability.  Upgrades like an aftermarket extractor.

Then ease of use.  Bolt buffer will help with recoil and is cheap.  Magazine lever extension and bolt hold open mod.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This.  Let him learn on OEM for a season.  Let him use his experiences in deciding what parts will make him better.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

First practice is this Saturday.  I put the iron sight barrel back on and removed the scope base so it won't be in the way.  

I agree completely on fundamentals.  I want him to learn iron sights.  I'm gonna talk to his instructor plus see what everyone else is using; he doesn't have to have an olympic quality platform but I don't want him left behind either.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:59:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Lots of 1022s, have a church group rimfire challenge every month(without snow!).  For fundamentals I would go with improved iron sights, I like the Tech sights.  And send the trigger group to Brimstone for his lowest level upgrade(tier 3), about $38 plus shipping.  His sweet spot work yields 2-3 # trigger pull, and he does the auto bolt close mod.  Good to go with these two mods! Like mentioned before, trigger and sights.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:42:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/dyEft7r.jpg

He's 11 Typically .22 is 12 and older with Hunter safety... Don't have him chase equipment... (I've been a 4H and NRA certified Instructor for years)

View Quote

Nice gun but I would ditch the 25 rd mag as I would expect the 4H program has them shooting prone.
I agree standard triggers are sketchy and need improvement . NRA Junior shooting has a minimum trigger of 4lbs I believe,check on the 4H program.
Hate to be a nay sayer but it is possible they require single shot bolt action also
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:57:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice gun but I would ditch the 25 rd mag as I would expect the 4H program has them shooting prone.
I agree standard triggers are sketchy and need improvement . NRA Junior shooting has a minimum trigger of 4lbs I believe,check on the 4H program.
Hate to be a nay sayer but it is possible they require single shot bolt action also
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/dyEft7r.jpg

It's actually a 15 rd magazine. My 4H program uses CZ .22 Bolt guns. They have detachable 5 rd mags, but I have them single load, 4H programs seem to have a  lot of leeway as to the type of firearm used.

I have had lots of shooters and their Dads ask if they can use there own rifles. I tend to discourage that practice and ask them to run with the Program's guns as it makes my life easier... I spend less time messing with issues that arise from all types of mods and doo dads that are used to try and purchase skill.
The CZ's are nice, but can be a bit heavy, especially for the female shooters.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I would start with a simple bolt buffer and a set of Tech Sights or NDS sights. A better trigger will help him have a good time. Get him very comfortable and shooting it well off a bench before he starts shooting off hand or in positions. Confidence in the equipment breeds confidence later off hand.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Strip 10/22 down to receiver.

Throw everything away but the receiver.

Replace everything with Kidd products.

Highly recommend his two-stage trigger.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:55:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This if you have $700 to spend on a 10/22.

I would suggest a Tier2 trigger job from Brimstone (probably the next best trigger after a Kidd 2 stage) and a new barrel.  That will set you back about $200-$250 depending on what barrel you get.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would suggest a Tier2 trigger job from Brimstone (probably the next best trigger after a Kidd 2 stage) and a new barrel.  That will set you back about $200-$250 depending on what barrel you get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just don't buy a Ruger 10/22 at all. Start off with a Kidd billet receiver.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#15]
My favorite is an auto-bolt release.  A good trigger is the first fix.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree with the mag release and trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top