Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2017 1:19:04 PM EDT
I'm looking for a light weight youth .22 for my small framed daughter.  She's 11, and has just started showing interest in shooting after getting her a BB gun a year ago.  

The problem is she's small.  She still wears pants sized for 8 year olds, and I think she weights about 52lbs.  My Marlin 795 is too heavy for her to hold, and the length of pull is too long.  

I was thinking about a Cricket, or a Savage Rascal.  I don't really know of anything else.  What would be your picks?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife has a X ring with the houge stock and its feather light.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Marlin Papoose.  I have one for my boat gun. I think the magazinesi will interchange with your 795 .
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my son the Savage Rascal. I'm very impressed with it. Accuracy is as good as any of my full-size 22s and I'm a big fan of the accutrigger.

I added an EGW rail and a 4x32 scope to his.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for the Rascal.  My kids like it and so do I.  Good accuracy.  The rear sight seems a bit flimsy but I've actually had no problems with it, and it has been roughly handled at times.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
http://chiappafirearms.com/product/2727 weigh less than three lbs
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Not traditional, but I made this for my daughter. Length of pull was the major issue so the adjustable stock was a key element. Light weight and quiet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I probably should have added a budget of under $400.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at the Henrys
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Look for a Savage Cub, single shot bolt action with Accutrigger.

I think it is now called Mark I single shot youth, about $225 on gun genie.

Great little rifle.

Edit:  Mark I GY, I think it weighs less than 5lbs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My son has a Thompson Hot Shot .22.  For a young shooter I don't know what could be better.  Single shot break open with two length of pull options.  It is made very well also.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Stevens 1894 favorite.

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Details?  Like I said, she can't shoulder my Marlin 795 very well.  

I'm leaning towards a single shot right now.  It would be nice to get her something she can grow into like a 10/22.

Edit: though a single shot could be passed down to my younger daughter when she's ready, then I could buy my older daughter a 10/22.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#14]
One of the reasons why I made my SW MP 15-22 the way it is today.  My daughter and eventually my youngest can use it and without hearing protection to make it easier to give instructions.

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#15]
CZ 452 Scout, it a really nice rifle they can grow into with a stock swap down the road.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Details?  Like I said, she can't shoulder my Marlin 795 very well.  

I'm leaning towards a single shot right now.  It would be nice to get her something she can grow into like a 10/22.

Edit: though a single shot could be passed down to my younger daughter when she's ready, then I could buy my older daughter a 10/22.
View Quote

The major components are a Blackhawk Axiom stock and lightweight Tactical Solutions barrel. There is several other small parts that were changed to make the controls easier to work for a young person.

The Axiom stock reduced the weight of the original rifle stock by 1 lb 6 oz and is adjustable to fit everyone. It also is the only stock I could find with a short trigger reach to fit very small hands well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
CZ 452 Scout, it a really nice rifle they can grow into with a stock swap down the road.
View Quote
+2
They have now upgraded it to the 455 and comes with a threaded muzzle.
They can use single,5 and 10 round magazines.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:49:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Went to see my buddy tonight.  He sent me home with a Ruger American, Colt/Walther .22 AR, a Mossberg Plinkster, and a Benjamin Maurader (for my own shit's and giggles).  He said he has a Cricket but forgot he loaned it out a month ago.  See how my daughter likes them in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Or a 455 scout. The new 455's come with a 1/2x28 threaded barrel. Kids and suppressor just go together.

Edit:  I really need to start reading the entire thread before responding.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.

Or a 455 scout. The new 455's come with a 1/2x28 threaded barrel. Kids and suppressor just go together.

Edit:  I really need to start reading the entire thread before responding.  
View Quote
  I am another in the CZ scout camp.   They are not as small as a cricket but it also means she will use it longer.   I would say they're like the old Marlin 25Y, size wise.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Cricket 22lr muddy girl synthetic. Once she grows you can put a adult stock on it. You will have to remove the retarded lock on the bottom but it's no biggie.

Other option is a savage Mark ii youth if you can find one. I believe ruger makes a 22lr American youth or will be bringing one out soon. Other options are a 1022, youth stock ECT.  220 for rifle, 100 stock and 80 for base and decent scope will fit your budget.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The problem is she's small.  She still wears pants sized for 8 year olds, and I think she weights about 52lbs.
View Quote

My daughter is about the same size.  Her big issue is getting comfortable with the LOP if not using a red dot. Here are some options you can look into.  Understand what her LOP should be before looking, that is more important then anything

Henry mini bolt youth rifle - it has a short LOP at 11.5" - downside is that cycling the bolt doesn't cock the action, my daughter doesn't have the strength to cock manually
Cricket youth rifle - 12" LOP - same cocking as the Henry
H&R Handi rifle youth - 14.5" LOP
Savage Rascal - 11.25 LOP - same cocking as Henry and Cricket
Marlin XT-22Y (youth) - 12" LOP
Mossberg Blaze Youth Bantam - 12" LOP
Thompson Center hot shot youth single shot - 11.5" LOP
Savage Mark II GY - ? LOP
CZ 452 scount - 12" LOP

What I did and my suggestion:
Find a cheap vintage .22 bolt action.  There are a ton of them out there, often for $100 or less. Cut down the stock to her LOP and go from there.  You could also do this with a modern lightweight Ruger, Savage or Marlin.  If its a common model its easy to find replacement stocks when she outgrows the LOP on the stock you cut.  

Not my rifle but it is my daughter. She is using a donated cut down Remington 513T at a local small bore class she goes to. Its what gave me the idea to just find a dirt cheap (note the 513T isnt dirt cheap) used .22lr and cut the LOP to fit her.

The last advice I would give is to pony up for an M&P 15-22.  You can find them used for around your price.  The LOP is 10" when closed and its light.  She can also grow into the LOP due to the adjustable stock.

Here is her M&P 15-22.  You can see the 10" LOP fits her almost perfectly.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#23]
For those of you with even younger kids, I've found that the Crosman M4-177 works really well as an introductory air rifle. A $50 pump gun with $100 of AR accessories I had laying around and a $4 paint job is a real hit with my 5yo daughter. The "buffer extension" and stock actually slide off completely to address LOP issues, and we've found pellets to be quite accurate (while BBs are all but useless). I have to pump (6 pumps) for each shot.

Still working on the finer points of stance :-)

Next up, an airsoft pistol. Not as a "toy" -- as a training tool for use with RSO Dad only. She can't cock a springer anyway.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Got my 5 y/o daughter a Savage Rascal.  She seems to really like it so far.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#25]
If your 4.5 lb Marlin 795 is too heavy, that eliminates a lot of the above suggestions (CZ scout is 5.05, Base model 10/22 is 5 lbs, M&P 15/22 sport 4.8 lbs).

Very happy with the Savage Rascal (2.95 lbs).  Was not going to suggest it for an 11 yr old, but she may need the light weight and short LOP.  I bough mine for my 5 yr old.  Got it for him when he was 4.  It is still heavy for him to shoot unsupported.  I bought a second stock and cut it down (he still is too small for the standard stock).  I did a lot of research on youth/children's .22's and felt the Rascal was best overall.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#26]
My sons started on a Henry mini bolt at age 5. It is a very accurate and light single shot bolt with LOP for children.

They both graduated to S&W M&P 10-22's at age 9. They are light and have adjustable stocks. Just be prepared for a whole lot more ammo usage.

At age 12 they now both shoot 5.56 or 300 BLK AR's primarily but we still bring out the 15-22's occasionally as they are a lot of fun and still easier to handle at their age.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:39:45 AM EDT
[#27]
10-22. Really light if you buy the synthetic stocked one. Also a ton of aftermarket stuff to change as she grows. I just put an ATI druganov style stock on mine.

Second choice would be the Cricket. Already small and light. A coonhunter I know used one as a truck gun to dispatch treed coons. He one shot killed all three i saw him shoot.

A third would be that Little Badger by Chiapa.  I can't think of a smaller little package.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:06:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Looked at the cricket.  Very unimpressed.  Looked at the Savage Rascal.  Very impressed.  Contrary to what was said, cocking the rascal is not a 2 step process like tge Cricket.  I think I paid less than 150 at Big 5.  Put a Bushnell TRS-25 on it for my son and he likes it.  Also likes the 15-22
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I got the Crickett for my son.  There isn't a feed ramp on it so it is kind of difficult to load.  He can't reload by touch while in prone.  It takes too much effort right now.  I added a 550 cord loop to the "cocker" piece on the bolt to help him with that.  It works pretty well.  I was looking at some videos of him shooting suppressed and we get a poof a smoke out the action when fired. Not sure if that is normal or not.

You can kind of see the loop that I added to help him cock it.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I took my Ruger 10/22 takedown to the range to sight in and a pre teen girl came over to my lane to ask  about the piece .
We asked her father for permission to shoot and I allowed her a 10 round mag .
She had not shot through a scope and had trouble getting a sight picture but could easily handle the piece .
She stated she like the Ruger and I'm sure Dad has bought or looked in getting her one
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
The CZ scout is a great rifle for the little ones.  My daughter loves it she started using it at 9.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top