Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2017 5:20:43 PM EDT
So, why not?  I know there's the 77/22, but those are going for stupid money these days.  The only other option is the PWS T3 summit.

Someone should produce a bolt action that takes 10/22 barrels and uses all of the 10/22 parts it can.  I think they'd sell.  I'd love to have a nice lightweight Tactical Solutions or Kidd barreled bolt action to suppress for maximum quietness and minimal weight.

So, would anyone else want one or do I just have too much time on my hands?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Sign me up for one too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I am sitting on a Gemtech Mist and am waiting for a solution myself.
As much as I love PWS and have been loyal, I am not sure the Summit action was ever truly plug n' play with consistent results. In fact, are they even manufacturing the Summit action still? I left a message for Stacy @PWS a while back and haven't heard back.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, I would buy that OP.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish the Ruger American Rimfire did, I was thinking about this the other day OP! A steel lined aluminum threaded bull barrel .22 bolt action would be a sweet suppressor host!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Make one!

ETA: Or hold your thumb on the bolt handle.

Or make a locking bolt handle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish the Ruger American Rimfire did, I was thinking about this the other day OP! A steel lined aluminum threaded bull barrel .22 bolt action would be a sweet suppressor host!
View Quote

Yeah, it takes the 10/22 mags so it would make sense.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#7]
My grail gun is a take-down bolt action 22 with a collapsing or folding stock, a pg, a light mount and a threaded barrel.

The ability to take 10/22 mags and parts would add to this awesomeness.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As much as I love PWS and have been loyal, I am not sure the Summit action was ever truly plug n' play with consistent results. In fact, are they even manufacturing the Summit action still? I left a message for Stacy @PWS a while back and haven't heard back.
View Quote

Yes they do, right now however they are focusing on their bread and butter, AR's.

That is from Mr. Nagey himself.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not at home to fully examine my RAR but I believe the problem is bolt action rifles use a rotating bolt that would require modification to the 10/22 barrel's extractor cut. The straight cut slot in the 10/22 barrel is fine for straight back bolts like the normal 10/22 or Summit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not at home to fully examine my RAR but I believe the problem is bolt action rifles use a rotating bolt that would require modification to the 10/22 barrel's extractor cut. The straight cut slot in the 10/22 barrel is fine for straight back bolts like the normal 10/22 or Summit.
View Quote

Only the back half of the bolt rotates.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
For me the problem would be the available barrels all have chambers cut loose enough for autoloaders and if I'm building a bolt gun I want a tighter chamber. Why build a bolt gun limited to autoloader accuracy?

I shoot rimfire bullseye matches so maybe my views are skewed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Only the back half of the bolt rotates.
View Quote

Checked my RAR, the extractor cut is just under twice as large as the 10/22 cut. The bolt face does not rotate as you stated. I was picturing my Rascal bolt, which does rotate, and barrel extractor cut, which is swept to accommodate the bolt rotation.

I agree, make a reciever that takes 10/22 barrels!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Do they still make the 96/22?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wish the Ruger American Rimfire did,
View Quote

Yeah, I thought that was a major screw up on Ruger's part. Even if they technically couldn't use 10/22 barrels, if they at least had made the barrel's removable/replaceable like the 10/22 I think you would have seen that rifle really take off.

Instead, what I'd like to see is the CZ-455 start using Ruger mags! The mags are the only reason I even considered a RAR over a CZ.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For me the problem would be the available barrels all have chambers cut loose enough for autoloaders and if I'm building a bolt gun I want a tighter chamber. Why build a bolt gun limited to autoloader accuracy?

I shoot rimfire bullseye matches so maybe my views are skewed.
View Quote

Yes, exactly. I have a few bolt action rim fires as well as a couple of classic Marlin Model 39's and they will all out shoot a standard 10/22.  The factory 10/22 chamber is loose to allow for the rapid feeding, dirt and various ammunition as there are lots of variations in .22 ammo. This means a less accurate rifle.  Aftermarket barrels tighten this up some which can make your 10/22 more picky about what you feed it or what magazine you can reliably use.

If I want a highly accurate .22 rifle I would want it built from the ground up as a bolt action with the design criteria being accuracy and not commonality in parts with an auto loader.  Oh, and I do have a 10/22  that is very accurate but it has only one or two original Ruger parts in it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes they do, right now however they are focusing on their bread and butter, AR's.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also emailed at the end of last year regarding the PWS T3 Summit line. This is the response I received:

"I am sorry to say this is a discontinued line from PWS and we have already built out and sold all available units into our dealer network.  As part of our refocus strategy for 2016 upper management has decided to discontinue a number of lines so we could better focus our energies on our ever-growing flagship line, the long-stroke piston systems, offered by PWS.  As such we are building out and selling the remaining units available in our Summit line, our EDS line, and our Modern Musket line of market offerings.  To get a Summit rifle before they are all gone I would recommend connecting with one of the following dealers that may still have some stock on hand:
Bulls Eye Guns and Ammo – 501-224-4867
Mountain Top Skeet – 828-377-0167
OMG Tactical – 805-304-7931
I hope this message finds you well and that the provided information is helpful in securing a Summit rifle build before it’s too late.  As with all of our current or discontinued products full warranty coverage will always be offered on these units should they ever need anything to keep up and running as expected.  If there is anything else I can help you with now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask.  Thank you for your interest, continued support, and ongoing enthusiasm for PWS.
Best Wishes,
Owen"
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Wish CZ would make a take down 455

That would help with aftermarket barrels.

They have lilja, kreiger, whistle pig and maybe a few others
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I wish someone would to. I have always wanted a PWS summit and drop it into a Rhineland arms Leopard stock and a 1-9 twist barrel with a suppressor and you the SSS 60gr rounds exclusively.

I wonder har hard it would be to make some sort of straight pull bolt action from a standard ruger 10/22 receiver and bolt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There is at least one straight pull conversion in the market right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish someone would to. I have always wanted a PWS summit and drop it into a Rhineland arms Leopard stock and a 1-9 twist barrel with a suppressor and you the SSS 60gr rounds exclusively.

I wonder har hard it would be to make some sort of straight pull bolt action from a standard ruger 10/22 receiver and bolt.

There is at least one straight pull conversion in the market right now.

Other than the PWS (toggle action)  what conversion is out there (really interested if so)?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like something Larue could produce
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top