Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2017 7:02:09 PM EDT
I have this older Win 190 sitting in the safe collecting dust that I never shoot.  The thing has a terrible trigger and a cracked front grip as you can see in the pics.

I wanted to ask you guys if any of you have done any fun upgrades with this rifle such as any newer replacable stocks / front grip etc.?  I don't think it's worth much and wouldnt mind ordering some parts for it to make it a bit more desirable to shoot.

Also, is there a quick solution to fixing the trigger pull w/o purchasing a replacment trigger group?

thanks in advance.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
In for answers also.  I have the Sears Roebuck version, same animal different name, same shitty trigger. I've tried keeping it clean and lubricated which helps a little but I'm a little hesitant to take a stone to it.

ETA  Gun parts Corp does have the forestock in inventory.
front stock
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:08:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I've also got a rebranded Sears Winchester 190.  I've never seen any repacement triggers for this rifle.  A good gunsmith might be able to improve the original trigger/FCG.  If I were to do anything to my rifle it would be attempting to checker and refinish the stock.   The only issue I've encountered with my 190 is the barrel nut would work loose.  I finally had to Loctite the barrel nut.  My Sears would fail to fire if the barrel nut worked loose.  The front hand guard would also become loose which is actually held in place by the barrel nut.

The accuracy of my Sears has improved since I used Loctite on the barrel nut.   The Sears was the first rifle I ever purchased so it has sentimental value to me.  My Sears rifle is reliable as long as the barrel nut is tight.   I find the Winchester 190 rifle unique with wood and steel used which was common practice when it was manufactured.  My Sears is probably not as good as a Ruger 10/22 and no after market support but I still have no desire to get rid of my Sears.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the post Vascar.  

I found replacment wood handguards and ordered one last night.  Im also thinking about installing some sling attachments to the stock n handguard.  

I did read that the trigger is near impossible to improve on these rifles so i might just live with it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ETA  Gun parts Corp does have the forestock in inventory.
front stock
View Quote

yep, thats exactly where I found it last night.

thanks for the heads up bud.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The fancier model was the Win 290.  Those came with nicer checkered stocks.

I traded off my M190 for a compound bow almost 40 years ago.  Same terrible trigger, not as accurate as I expect a .22 rifle to be if it's going to be useful head shooting squirrels.  I still have the compound bow.  A Bear Kodiak Magnum.  Heavy and a bit big by today's standards but a beautiful bow.

Good luck with yours.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the lever action version, love it
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
This has been discussed over at RimFire Central before and there really isn't much you can do to fix the trigger on the 190 series rifles. About the best thing you can do is hone the trigger and sear otherwise just keep it nice and clean. The only reason I have kept my 190 is because of the sentimental value, it was given to me by by Grampa.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Had one of those. Excellent rifle with an awful trigger. The good news is that they are reliable and accurate. Used to shoot mine to 300yds regularly. Also, mine functioned well with shorts and longs as well. You can pull the trigger module out easily, hose it down with cleaner, then lube-and that is as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:10:08 AM EDT
[#10]
A 190 was my first rifle as a kid. Grandfather gave it to me. I left it at home when I went to college and kind of forgot about it. Never saw it again and don't know what happened to it. Few years ago I was in a gun shop in Vegas and saw one on the wall for $150. Now I have a 190 again.  Just need to find a shitty 4x Tasco clamp on scope to finish my clone build.

I have fond memories of dropping the trigger group and bolt out to clean it without paying too much attention to how it went back together. I think I was 12 or 13. Eventually got it figured out and it taught me a good lesson. Burned many a brick of .22 with that rifle and it set me on the path.

This thread has inspired me to dig it out of the safe and shoot it this week.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread has inspired me to dig it out of the safe and shoot it this week.
View Quote

Excellent!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Well i installed some uncle mikes swivel studs and the new handguard.   I have some new weaver rings coming in too that will hold a nikon p-rimfire.   Gonna order a sling as well to throw on it.  Should be a decent shooter i think and perfect for squirrels n plinking at the campsites.  Im giving the rifle to my twin bro when its all done as a thank u gift.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks good, my FFL added sling swivels to my Sears many years ago when I bought mine.  My Sears came with a scope and no rear sight.  I tried to add a rear sight but there is a plastic housing with a dove tail.  That is the main difference between Winchester and Sears.  The Winchester has a dove tale cut in the barrel for the rear sight and a metal cap over the top of the barrel next to the receiver.  The cap on the Sears is plastic and had cracked on my Sears.  I bought a replacement from Numerich which looks better.  

The 190 series don't have the appeal of many older Winchesters but in 50 years they will still be shooters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top