BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can find one of these:

Made by Federal Ordnance a long time ago.  They have been out of business for many years.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#2]
This does not suck

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a favorite of mine.... although a bit hard to find... and currently rather expensive.
Definitely doesn't suck, though!

Long out of production Rhineland 1022R

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I Upgrayedd my underfolder....Two Ds for a double dose of awesome.

I put a 16" threaded barrel (can use) and a M1 carbine front sight on it and replaced the scope with a Weaver 2.5X C3 post scope I found. While I was about it I painted the hand-guard to sorta match the wood.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I Upgrayedd my underfolder....Two Ds for a double dose of awesome.

I put a 16" threaded barrel (can use) and a M1 carbine front sight on it and replaced the scope with a Weaver 2.5X C3 post scope I found. While I was about it I painted the hand-guard to sorta match the wood.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN5933--2--145194.JPG
View Quote

Where did you get the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been happy with my old choate / Butler Creek folders.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Where did you get the barrel?
View Quote

I gave my gunsmith a few take-off barrels I had accumulated and he cut/threaded one of them for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I gave my gunsmith a few take-off barrels I had accumulated and he cut/threaded one of them for me.
View Quote

ok, I like the M1 carbine front sight.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[snip]
The problem with both these stocks is that neither have a sling stud near the toe of the opened stock.  They both need such.  I had studs silver-soldered onto the toe of the BC stocks before I painted them, and so they're GTG.
I assume that there is sufficient depth of plastic on the Choate to install a wood-screw type sling stud.  I haven't tried doing so.

When folded, both stocks need to have a third sling stud screw-threaded into the side near the hinge point, for slung carriage, or even patrol carry.  Easy to install on the BC, I don't know about the Choate.
[snip]
In any event, You should choose a rear sling swivel that is easy to manipulate, and easy to change from one rear sling stud to the other.
View Quote

Hmm, you've got me thinking about doing a project today...

The addition of a forward sling-mounting-point on the Choate may eliminate two issues I have with the setup below. It carries comfortably at my side but swings against the pocket knife clip that is always there. It would be nice to not have to worry about scratching up the gun, mount/sight, and re-positioning the knife. Driving a cart or 4-wheeler I lay the slung gun across my lap, which seems to constantly knock the secondary light/laser switch to the "Everything Off" setting. Then later when I go to flip the light on with the main switch, nothing happens and I'm fumbling around to locate that tiny lever. Arrgghhh. Gun-across-the-back might work better.

Most of y'all have seen this before, but I replaced the factory swivels on mine with Quick Detach cups. A friend removed the top swivel, cut the hole to the proper dimensions, and I took care of the bottom with bedding compound. It will be really easy to add another cup to the front and also to the heel of the stock. Now where are those extra cups...

From the factory:

You can get just the cups or swivels and cups together, as needed:

Hollow bottom filled in and new cup; lower hole from original swivel filled in and sanded; "Choate" writing removed:

Flush on the top of the plate and bottom of the grip when the sling is removed:

@CS223
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Done; added 2 more QD cups to the Choate and think this will work out pretty good.

They're really simple to install, if you might like to do some yourself.

I filed this one down a bit to match the curve of the stock and then sanded it smooth and flush.

Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top