Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2016 12:12:42 PM EDT
I have an old 22 I have been fixing up for a loaner/giveaway gun.

The rear sight is gone and are big money and unobtainium.

So I am going with a budget 3x9 32 scope of some kind.

What have you had success with, something that holds zero and finer cross hair for the 22cal. and glass that is at least usable?
Recent production something available now, alot of the old scopes were good enough but have since gone down hill in quality.

Simmons, Centerpoint, BSA?

Suggestions please.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Save up a little more money and get a Nikon 2-7 or 3-9 with the Nikoplex reticle.  The glass is very good, the crosshairs are very fine, and it will hold up unlike the CenterPoint or BSA offerings.  
I ruined 3 different cheap scopes on my 10/22 before sucking it up and spending the extra $50 on the Nikon.  The hard part will be finding one with the Nikoplex reticle, most that are on sale have the BDC reticles.  

There were some great sales over Black Friday on several of these scopes.  Look for the Prostaff, P-22, or P-rimfire models.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Walmart has straight 4 power Simmons rimfire scopes for $30 bucks. Not exactly what you are wanting but they seem to last a long time and are OK. That is about half price.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Walmart has straight 4 power Simmons rimfire scopes for $30 bucks. Not exactly what you are wanting but they seem to last a long time and are OK. That is about half price.
View Quote

I am impressed with the fixed four power Simmons 22 mag.
I was in the same boat as you OP with a junker gun that i was fixing up for fun.
I had this junky Norinco copy of a Browning takedown .22 that had an old tosco junker scope on it and jacked up irons.  lots of the parts were loose and i coudnt get the barrel to affix properly to the reciever (take down) as it has lots of wear.  I finally got it to fit together pretty solid and wanted to see how it would perform with a better scope but i didnt want to spend much in case the rifle didnt work so i picked up a simmons fixed power 4X (i would go fixed power in an ultra cheap scope) and some redfield rimfire rings. The rings that come with the simmons scope are real, REAL, garbage. I put it on the rifle and it started getting single hole groups at 50 yard.  The thing is still wobbly between the barrel and the recover so i have no freaking clue how its shooting so well.  
The scope is extremely clean for the price.  It has become one of my favorite range toys because of that scope.  I kid you not. the simmons scope made the gun fun to shoot.
I would consider this my go-to cheap scope for any .22 rifle that i am not building into be a nice gun.
It is pretty damn clear. I would say that the performance of the scope is easily twice the price point.

if you are going to make a nice gun, i would get a leupold rimfire scope.  If you are going to build a .22 trainer then i would get a low powered SWFA SS scope with parallax adjustment, mil turrets, and mil dot crosshairs.

Primary Arms also has a 109 dollar 6x scope for rimfires now that is worth taking a gander at.  It is all determined on how much you want to spend.
but if you are looking to save money, the simmons is not garbage despite the low price.

I kid you not, that simmons scope blew my socks off for the 40-50 dollar or so price i paid for it (with the redfield rings).
If you shop around you can get it cheaper than what i paid, i bought it at an outdoor store and it cost about 5 bucks more there than at discount and online shops.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a NCStar 3x9 that's worked well on my daughters 10/22. No problems at all.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Did the cheap Simmons 22mag 3x9 scope non AO, got it off the Gander Mt website. Picked it up at the store. These offers are good for a couple more days.

Was on sale for $39 then took off 10% using JINGLE code good til 12/11 then will be getting $20 rebate from Simmons good to end of month.

So for under $20 I'll try it.

Mounted it up if it adjusts and holds zero it will be fine for this particular rifle and I will be a few beans ahead for my other project.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
WallyWorld Center Point all the way.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:09:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Primary Arms
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Nikon. For the money a Nikon Prostaff is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't even mess with .22 specific scope anymore, some of the cheap glass out there is actually very good these days, I have a Bushnell on one of my .270 rifles that I got on sale at Wally World for $39 bucks and it has held up quite well, it is a 3-9X and never fogged, been blurry, has great light gathering, and now has 4 different bull elk on it.  I put the same exact scope on one of my 10/22 rifles and love it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a nikon prostaff. They are excellent optics when you need budget glass. I have 3.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Simmons 8-Point 3x9x40 scope on my 10/22.

Simmons Scope
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Supposedly springer airguns kill scopes, but the my spring airgun hasn't broken my Tasco walmart special 3x9 yet.

I've also heard good things about the Simmons 22 mag (I have one on my 30-06 and it seems okay).

Sometimes Cabelas actually has decent sales on their brand scopes. Might be worth watching.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top