Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2016 4:50:01 PM EDT
My girlfriends dad had this Winchester Model 75 sitting in a case in the back of his basement.

Anyone have any idea what something like this is worth? It's very dirty so I'm going to pull it all apart and clean it for him, but I'd like to let him know what he's got on his hands.  According to some Google searches, it was manufactured in 1938 (S/N 411 on receiver and bolt).

EDIT: He actually traded the rifle for a case of beer.  The running joke in their family was that it was stolen

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

My girlfriends dad had this Winchester Model 75 sitting in a case in the back of his basement so I asked him how he got his hands on it.  Long story short, someone stole it from a bar

Anyone have any idea what something like this is worth? It's very dirty so I'm going to pull it all apart and clean it for him, but I'd like to let him know what he's got on his hands.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/7ON8UTk

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/00lB6qS
View Quote

It's worth nothing but a stolen firearms charge

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's worth nothing but a stolen firearms charge

View Quote

That and it has more holes in it than a pack of Swiss cheese, not to mention the Bubba checkering.

Part it out and ditch the receiver. I see maybe $300.00 + worth of parts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1940 Model 75 (that my Grandfather bought for my father) and looked them up on Gunbroker a few years ago.  I recall they had some that sold for $1000-1500.
The checkering on the stock is going to detract from value, and it does look like there are several tapped holes drilled into the barrel that are not stock.  That will detract also.

Re: the "Stolen", I think OP's point was it was traded for a case of beer, so it was not actually stolen, but figuratively (if I read OP correctly)

Obilgatory pics of Dad's guns (1940 Win 75 and 1941 Remington 513-T)

PS: Shot "Rifleman" at my first Appleseed with both rifles
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 1940 Model 75 (that my Grandfather bought for my father) and looked them up on Gunbroker a few years ago.  I recall they had some that sold for $1000-1500.
The checkering on the stock is going to detract from value, and it does look like there are several tapped holes drilled into the barrel that are not stock.  That will detract also.

Re: the "Stolen", I think OP's point was it was traded for a case of beer, so it was not actually stolen, but figuratively (if I read OP correctly)

Obilgatory pics of Dad's guns (1940 Win 75 and 1941 Remington 513-T)

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad262/gusandson/Firearms/WP_20150620_017_zpshvzygoc7.jpg

PS: Shot "Rifleman" at my first Appleseed with both rifles
View Quote

Great rifles you've got there.  Yeah I've looked up old threads about how the extra holes, no iron sights and checkering devalue the rifle.

I will just tell him about the history of it and to shoot the absolute piss out of it
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, tell him to have fun with it.  They are good guns.  Not a whole lot of collector value, but good fun value!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top