Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2016 4:00:08 AM EDT
Thinking about buying a 10/22 tactical (the regular pencil barrel one with no sights just a flash hider and the regular plastic stock.)

Also have thought about buying a 10/22 receiver off of gunbroker and then buying a barrel, stock, bolt, and trigger housing... This method will be like 3 times more expensive. I am kinda concerned about building one because i don't have a vise and i know it's recommend to use one to install the barrel to the receiver..  (could i just have a friend hold the receiver while i fit the barrel and lock it down with the screws)

Do you think a stock 10/22 tactical with a stock pencil barrel is a very accurate gun accurate gun out of box or will i regret buying rather then building? (i think at this point building would be the better option but don't know much about stock 10/22 out of box performance)

Any advice would be great, Thanks guys..
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You won't need a vise to install a barrel into a factory receiver. You will need some assistance (rubber mallet) if you had a Kidd receiver but not a vise.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
A vise is not needed for a 10/22 build. Freeze the barrel, and put the receiver in the oven. That said I would build off an aftermarket billet / anodized receiver instead of a cast painted ruger one.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Building 10/22s is fun!  I have two with no Ruger parts at all.  One has a KIDD receiver and the other has a receiver from Nodak Spud.  FWIW Green Mountain makes a very nice barrel for the money.

Building will probably be more expensive, but I always enjoy planning the build, buying the parts, assembling the firearm and shooting it.  I haven't regretted building a firearm yet.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a small collection of 10/22's in various configurations. While the aftermarket route can build you a fine piece I think you should first consider your budget and see if you really want to put that much money into such a rifle. I have a highly accurate 10/22 that uses after market barrel, stock and trigger housing but retains the factory receiver and bolt. I built it slowly as I ran across deals on the parts so I have a reasonable amount of money invested. Gong after market on the receiver really sends the price up. For me a 10/22 for three hundred dollars is a better choice than dropping  $1,000 and up on one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A vise is not needed for a 10/22 build. Freeze the barrel, and put the receiver in the oven. That said I would build off an aftermarket billet / anodized receiver instead of a cast painted ruger one.
View Quote

This is definitely not the way to do it. The fit should be snug at room temp, but not mechanically impossible. You risk cracking your receiver. If your barrel is a hair tight for the receiver, use some emery cloth to take down the mating surface. It takes 5-10 minutes but guarantees a perfect fit. It's my understanding this is why most barrel manufacturers err on the large side.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
For what the prices are looking like over the next month or so, I would just buy one, then customize as you wish, I own several that I have tricked out over the years and, buy a new complete rifle gives you the ability to shoot when you want and upgrade as you want and as you do that you can sell the replaced parts with no problem.

I got the wild idea to machine an 80% receiver!  Yikes, it is still sitting on my bench unfinished.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is definitely not the way to do it. The fit should be snug at room temp, but not mechanically impossible. You risk cracking your receiver. If your barrel is a hair tight for the receiver, use some emery cloth to take down the mating surface. It takes 5-10 minutes but guarantees a perfect fit. It's my understanding this is why most barrel manufacturers err on the large side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kidd must not know what he is talking about then.
https://youtu.be/LOtEwR-7bt0
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Kidd must not know what he is talking about then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOtEwR-7bt0
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Wish someone made aftermarket TD receivers.

I've got an itch to build up a take down.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#10]
How much more accuracy are we talking over say the stock heavy barrel 10/22? Seems like an awful lot of money for a plinker.

Yes. I sound poor.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can steal a 10-22, like in a friend's estate auction,  that is the best platform to build on.  Start cheap.  I got my second one for $125 and added a VQ barrel, Clark trigger and sear, Butler Creek stock, and a VQ extractor.  I have been very happy with it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top