Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2016 4:27:51 PM EDT
Found one at a pawn shop today for $75. 70% or so condition got it home GOOD SHOOTER!
I know its pre 64 but there are no makings anywhere to held me determine man. date.
Can anyone help?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of rifling does it have? I believe Marlin started Micro-groove after 1950 or so. I bought a model 80 with the blade rear sight last year, it's a nice solid pre Micro-groove rifle.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
All I have found so far is that this model was made from '49 to '58. 1953 was the first year for Microgroove rifling, this one has Ballard style rifling so its pre '53. The part im having trouble with is early Marlins were supposed to have a 2 letter date code on the left side of the barrel in front of the receiver, this one doesn't have that.
So all I'm left with is that it was made somewhere in the '49-'53 time span.
I didn't buy this as a collector piece, just as a shooter (ive got a real soft spot for old .22s) But I'm still curious.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a chance to get out this AM on the range with her. Even from my caffeine fueled body and with some cruddy ammo, (Centurion 40 gr solid, (this ammo is very dirty burning and it seemed from the sound of the report that some serious charge differences were there). I managed dime size groups at 30 yds. from a sitting position. I cant wait to put her on a bench with some better ammo!
I believe the old girl is a shooter!

The only down side is a new magazine that I bought Genuine Marlin for #80, wouldn't seat properly. I had to file down the tops of 2 rivets on the mag to get it to latch. after that, no problem!
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Got a chance to get out this AM on the range with her. Even from my caffeine fueled body and with some cruddy ammo, (Centurion 40 gr solid, (this ammo is very dirty burning and it seemed from the sound of the report that some serious charge differences were there). I managed dime size groups at 30 yds. from a sitting position. I cant wait to put her on a bench with some better ammo!
I believe the old girl is a shooter!

The only down side is a new magazine that I bought Genuine Marlin for #80, wouldn't seat properly. I had to file down the tops of 2 rivets on the mag to get it to latch. after that, no problem!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]
All I can add is my mother bought this one for my dad in 1958 and had a local person engrave the hunting scene on the right side. The left side is stock as far as I know. I went all through NRA marksman training in the early 70's with that gun and it still is a tack driver. I put the Williams peep sight on the rifle at that time.

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a huge fan of older Marlin rimfires. They are a great value and are usually extremely accurate.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive just got  soft spot for old .22s

and yes they are usually very accurate.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a pre 68 one. Marked Sears and no serial.

I was my older brothers that got left out in the garage for a few years, and nobody wanted it.

I took it and cleaned the rust off and refinished the stock.

After all the that he wanted it back, I told him to go screw
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top