Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2016 3:57:59 PM EDT
I have a Savage FVSR (.22LR) that I use with my AAC Element II suppressor.

I always use CCI SV rounds so it is Hollywood quiet.

Do I really want to stray into the .17 HMR / .22 WMR game?  Will the suppressor really help that much? Should I just stick with the .22LR?

FYI this will be used as a range toy and occasional vermin hunting in the back yard

Also if you have any suggestions, please send them my way (preferably threaded for a suppressor)!
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Savage FVSR (.22LR) that I use with my AAC Element II suppressor.

I always use CCI SV rounds so it is Hollywood quiet.

Do I really want to stray into the .17 HMR game?  Will the suppressor really help that much? Should I just stick with the .22LR?

FYI this will be used as a range toy and occasional vermin hunting in the back yard

Also if you have any factory threaded suggestions for the .17 HMR, please send them my way!
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Its an awesome little critter gun/fun target gun.

I could practically shoot my little bolt action marlin without earplugs unsuppressed
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely...I got rid of all my .22's and replaced with .17....they are far more accurate!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely...I got rid of all my .22's and replaced with .17....they are far more accurate!!
View Quote

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 1:33:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Any suggestions?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any suggestions?

Both Savage and Ruger have threaded 17 hmr options I believe.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#6]
This video will answer the question for you...

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I went to Wyoming a couple years ago and shot prairie dogs.  A Friend insisted I take one of his Savage 17 HMR's so I chose to take his Savage Mark II 93 R 17 F.  I was very impressed by this 17 HMR.  I came home and ordered the 93 R 17 FV (polymer stock bull barrel version).  My Friend's rifle had a BSA Sweet 17 3-12 AO with ballistic turrets.   This is a great scope for the Savage and is what I put on my rifle.  Up until last Saturday I had not shot my Savage past about 150 yards.  I had a 6" steel plate set up at 300 yards so I decided to try the 17 HMR at 300 yards.  I dialed the BSA turret to 300 yards and fired 5 shots with 5 hits.  Four hits were in less than 3" and the 5th shot I intentionally held left because the wind appeared to be picking up.

I have used the 17 HMR to take numerous varmints of various sizes and I have been impressed by it's inherent accuracy and killing power.  I have a Friend with a bad neck injury and he can not tolerate recoil.  I let him shoot my 17 HMR Saturday and he is convinced the 17 HMR will meet his needs on the farm.   The 17 HMR can bridge the gap between 22 LR rimfire and centerfire cartridges for taking varmints and target shooting.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any suggestions?

Would you suggest factory threaded (limited selection) or consider buying a non-threaded rifle and having a gunsmith thread it?
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Would you suggest factory threaded (limited selection) or consider buying a non-threaded rifle and having a gunsmith thread it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any suggestions?

Factory threading on the Ruger is really good, can't say for the Savage.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have Ruger American Predators in both calibers. These are the models with green stocks, slightly heavier barrels, no sights and larger bolt handles. They are both surprisingly accurate. What I did find is that when using different brands and bullet weights, the 22wmr had less POI shift. The .17 varied enough that it would have to be sighted in when using a different brand of ammo. The 22wmr, although POI would shift, it was still acceptable. Not sure this is normal, but that is what I experienced. Certainly not a large issue if you use a particular brand/weight and stick with it. I don't have my suppressor yet so I cannot comment on that aspect of it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]
And I've got a right-handed and a left-handed Savage accutrigger... Both under $300 and are pinpoint accurate at 200 yards
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 93r17 by savage. Second time shooting it today I shot a sub moa group at 100 yards with CCI TNT (5 shots). I have some of the VMAX ammo too but always seem to have a flyer... Although I think I shot a sub moa group with that the first time out.  Have only put probably 100 rounds downrange with it.

Mine is the $199 non AccuTrigger version from Walmart. It's heavy and sucks but I love savage rifles. The AccuTrigger would probably help with groups. I also only have a 3-9 scope which I prefer more magnification.

There are some tips out there to adjust the trigger but I'm not brave enough to try them

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd go with the .17.  .22 mag ammo is nonexistent around here.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:06:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd go with the .17.  .22 mag ammo is nonexistent around here.
View Quote

Same here. 17hmr is available by the case, but you're lucky as hell if you can find 100rds of .22wmr here.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's the group I referenced in an earlier post.  5 shot group with CCI TNT.  Nikon 3-9 scope, Harris bipod, homemade rear bag. 100 yards

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I stupidly sold my Savage 17 HMR a few years ago.  I thought it would be cheaper to shoot a target 22LR, but match grade 22 ammo really isn't any cheaper than 17HMR and it sure isn't easy to find.  17HMR is available all over here.

I might go with one of the Rugers this time.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I decided to go with the Ruger American .17 HMR with the threaded bull barrel:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-124

Does anyone have suggestions for scope rings and long range optics?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't know about rings as I have a CZ452 American. But the scope I use is a Mueller 4.5-14 power. Inexpensive, but nice clear optics.
 http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-optics-4-5-14x40mm-ao-apv-rifle-scope.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=PLA&utm_term=&utm_campaign=1100001886884                                                                                   Crap, can't make it hot for some reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top