Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2016 10:15:07 AM EDT
Just noticed 2 of the screws the hold the scope rail on are stripped out! From the factory! I haven't ever messed with them. I want to put on a better rail anyway. What are my options for the stripped holes? Or should I bring to a gun smith? It's soft enough I imagine I could just buy a slightly thicker screw?
 Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#1]
New gun you could call Ruger and send it back,, they will fix it. even if its an old gun,,

if it were mine,, I'd find bigger screws drill and tap,, the new size,, done,,

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I would send back to Ruger before messing with tapping new holes.  that might void any help they otherwise would do for free.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can punch it out to 8x40 really easy.
View Quote

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably do this. Too much hassle to send it in for something so minor.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can punch it out to 8x40 really easy.
View Quote

I had to do that on a used one I bought 4-5 years ago.

Previous owner couldn't even comprehend how to put a screw in properly and bogeyed the threads.

Took less than 30 minutes and that including having to find my tap set ion a mess of a tool box.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a used 10-22 with a hole stripped a few years ago, it's aluminum and taps easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top